Author Topic: Is Danny Forcing Doc's Hand with Melo  (Read 10250 times)

Re: Is Danny Forcing Doc's Hand with Melo
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »

Offline craigsagersuit

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14
also just an FYI... Melo wasn't even a top player in the D-League.  There are 52 players outperforming him (statistically) this year.  He's getting a lot of blocks, but that's because he's one of only like three 7 footers in the entire league.

And keep in mind we're talking about a league where Luke Harongody is arguably the best player... averaging 20 points, and 12 rebounds.  Yeah... Poor man's Brian Scalabrine is a force in the Children's league.

But 'Gody said the NBDL IS the NBA...

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
I agree PLAY THE GUYS YOU DRAFT.....!!! Danny shouldn't HAVE to make doc coach and work his team...but doc has a closed mind.....all he wants to do it play kg, pp....and used to be ray.....

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
So, its come to this.......*SIGH* Depressing.

*reaches for straws*
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 09:42:13 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I saw every one of Perk's rookie year summer league games at U Mass Boston, and I watched Melo's summer league games this summer and a few of his D league games.  Perk was as NBA ready skill-wise as a raw high schooler as Melo is now. Melo is in better physical condition, although Perk's knowledge of the game seemed better. Perk had an idea how to play position defense, box out, and whip half court outlet passes to Marcus Banks. The only NBA level skill I've seen out of Melo is his shot-blocking and rim defense.  He has good quickness for a man that size, and can get from one side of the lane to the other to block or affect a shot. 

However, I believe that Melo can be force fed small minutes this season against certain match ups. This team is going to be a low playoff seed whether Melo plays eight minutes a night or zero. Philly or Toronto won't be catching the Celtics unless the Cs go on an eight game losing streak.   

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 09:48:57 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
When a guy makes me think that Acie Earl was a better player than he was, well, that speaks for itself.  Melo was a wasted pick, but it was worth a shot.  He'll never make it...

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 09:52:01 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Philly or Toronto won't be catching the Celtics unless the Cs go on an eight game losing streak.   

Just as I said before.

We can afford to lose games if Fab Melo plays, provided that we make the playoffs and get a relatively favorable matchup
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 10:39:08 PM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I do not like to dump on my team but it is pretty clear that we were not going to do well in the playoffs with Collins on the court.  He was not getting it done but with Doc if you are old veteran you are allowed endless chances to show you can contribute.  It is almost like he does not want to have to coach the young guys.

Wilcox and/or Melo will now be given reasonable minutes to show they can contribute to the playoff run. Melo is raw but there is some talent there and I would like to see his development sped up with some minutes.  Wilcox for all his faults has hit the boards most of his career and the team really could use some rebounding help.  Melo is perhaps not a great rebounder but I think he will be better than Collins on the boards and blocking shots and with some playing time should not be a guy other teams ignore on offense.

I would love to see a few minutes a game with Fab and KG on the court together!

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
I wrote this elsewhere and other might have too but this isn't the first time Danny a dumped a guy Doc was playing way too much. Can't play him if he is traded.

Danny would be a great replacement for Doc. Danny brings in talent and can be wrong but has the sense to change. Doc isn't good at changing his initial opinion, iMho

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 11:09:39 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Let's agree to disagree.

He isn't a player now.   They were trying to give him away.   

1. He's put up some huge numbers in individual games in the D-League

****.   He is averaging 6.8 RPG and 11 points.   He is not even 1st team all DL, not even 2nd team DL and yes not even third team DL.  I think misrepresentations of his stats is one of things that irks most about him. 

http://www.nba.com/dleague/statistics/player/Scoring.jsp

2nd in BPG
Not even top 50 in scoring.
40th in double doubles with 3, one triple double.
Not top 40 in rebounds folks.
23rd in FG%

You can look at these things and see he doesn't remote put up huge numbers.  The odds in fact are against it, am I calling you a liar.  You figure it out!  But I am backing it with stats, not hyperbole.

3. Is known for his defensive ability

No one argues he can block shots.   But he is one dimensional player and his positional defense is not good.   He is weak only did 9 185 lbs at the draft combine.   He does look stronger now but he has a way to go.

There is no way he can be any worse than Jason Collins.

Doc's playing time seems to indicate he is worse.  He does not clog the lanes or space the floor like Collins.

I just don't think he's nearly as bad as he's being made out to be.

We all are glad you feel that way but I live in the world of facts.   Do you believe in the Easter Bunny too?  Maybe your a Syracuse fan?

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/syracuse/fab-melo

Not very good stats, eh?

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/fab_melo/

DL stats not that much better.   I hope I am wrong I want him to help the C's but I think he is a project.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/fab_melo/nba_career_stats.html

Again, not looking NBA ready.

Avery Bradley showed more promise.  Perk could play positional D and defend the rim.  Melo can only defend the rim.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/02/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_28.html

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/20/report-celtics-make-fab-melo-available-in-trade-for-guard/

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/02/celtics-shopping-fab-melo-in-trade-talks.html

Dangling is not exactly an endorsement of value.  Ainge was trying to give him away.   

BTW, I have rights to a bridges, moon rocks and russian meteors for all you optimists and I am sure I could produce some Sasquatch hairs on demand if you want to pay cash, perhaps.

Good stuff. Nice job doing the homework. The best thing I read in this thread is that Melo is running funny because he is nervous!

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 11:13:01 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I love to have the thought in my head that he could all of a sudden be really good for us, but just think he does not grasp the NBA defense yet, but you have to play him a little while we search for another big man. Would like to see what he has to offer, the few times he has been in I haven't seen him because i turned my tv off during both laker games.

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2013, 11:48:45 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
How pathetic is it that your gm has to do things like this because the coach is tool stubborn to do it himself.  Only reinforces what many others have said that doc is the problem. Next time Danny just dump doc.

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2013, 12:52:41 AM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
I don't think it is directly the case, but perhaps Danny is forcing Doc's hand with Melo a little now.

Odds are, we are not winning it all this year, we still could, but odds are we are not.  So why not give Fab some run with the big boys for a little while and see what happens. 

He is a legit 7 footer with athleticism.  Granted, he has looked lost while out there, but he has played 16 minutes in garbage time.  It's hard to really look great in that scenario.

I think we will still pick somebody up from waivers, but why not give melo some run now?  I'm all for it.

I keep hearing about Fab's athleticism. I am just waiting to see it. I am sure it is there, but have not seen it in his cameo 15 minutes so far with the Celts.

does this help?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKyP3Por3xIs

I don't think anyone is questioning we have an athletic 7 footer. The question is whether he is a better soccer player

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2013, 01:39:09 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I could be wrong, but I think Danny and Doc's relationship is a more healthy one where the two can have discussions about their personnel and how to use them rather than one where Danny would underhandedly leave Doc no choice but to play certain players.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2013, 01:42:12 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I could be wrong, but I think Danny and Doc's relationship is a more healthy one where the two can have discussions about their personnel and how to use them rather than one where Danny would underhandedly leave Doc no choice but to play certain players.

It was rumored (and confirmed by Ainge himself?) that he did it with Rondo on our championship season.

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2013, 02:25:35 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
im looking forward to fabs development.  I think he'll be a nice defensive presence down low.