Author Topic: Is Danny Forcing Doc's Hand with Melo  (Read 10286 times)

Re: Is Danny Forcing Doc's Hand with Melo
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 08:27:23 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I sure hope not. I understand guys could look lost early on and eventually become impact players, but this guy seems years away from being a decent NBA player.

I do not want to see much of him on the court this year. Maine or on the bench, that's it.

He certainly looks lost at times, but the guy has only played what...15 minutes of NBA game time?

I've seen Bass look just as lost at times to be honest...at least 2-3 times every day I see that guy make some really bonehead plays, but we tend to forgive him because he generally does play hard and maeks up for it with the occasional really nice hustle play.

So on that note, even if Melo does struggle - as long as he starts to improve and shows signs of positive impact I'd love to give him some time. 

Also when it comes to judging the importance of time, look no further than Jeff Green.  How bad was he playing at the start of the season, on both ends of the floor?  In Offense he couldn't score to save his life (getting 6 points from him was a struggle) and his defense was horrendous.  He spent tons of time just standing around in corners waiting for a pass and looked passive and asleep.  Even today, he's not the type of player who goes out with etreme intensity and aggression like KG.  He has a tendancy to play aggressive in bursts - he might score 12 points in one quarter, then only score 6 points (and look fairly passive) the rest of the game.

Now imagine if you only played him 6 minutes, when he's not in that 'aggressive' mode.  You would truly belive he's one of the worst players in the game at his position.

Liekwise what if you only played Bass 6 minutes and he recorded a couple of his bonehead plays in that time - you'd think he's utterly uselsss and barely D league material.

Moral of the story is give the guy a chance. You come out for 3 minutes on a stage you've never really played on.  You're nervous, your heart rate is up, you're overthinking things so you don't make an error.  It's really hard to play well in that state of mind - you throw up wild airballs (too anxious or too much power), you fumble the ball on passes, you miss defensive rotations...this is all expected. Even Sully struggled a LOT when he first started.

Only once he's playing 10-15 minutes a night (for a couple of months) can you really get a feel for what he's capable of.

Awesome post..

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 08:29:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
dude... Melo is a bum.  Come on.  He's a late 1st rounder who needs several years of Perk-esque education to even sniff an NBA lineup.  Even in the Children's League, Fab was like the 40th most effective player statistically.  He's a stiff that maybe pans out some day.  Forget about him for now.

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 08:34:50 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
dude... Melo is a bum.  Come on.  He's a late 1st rounder who needs several years of Perk-esque education to even sniff an NBA lineup.  Even in the Children's League, Fab was like the 40th most effective player statistically.  He's a stiff that maybe pans out some day.  Forget about him for now.

Let's agree to disagree.  :)

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Kendrick Perkins:
Year 1: 3 MPG - 2.2 points with 1.4 rebounds
Year 2: 9 MPG - 2.5 points with 2.9 rebounds
Year 3: 20 MPG - 5 points with 6 rebounds
Year 4: 22 MPG - 4.5 points & 5 rebounds
Year 5: 24 MPG 7 points & 6 rebounds

* All this while nearly fouling out of every game he entered.
* Yet, he becomes a solid starting defensive center on two championship caliber NBA teams.

Avery Bradley was absolute "dog meat" two years into his NBA career. Guy is starting now and at worst is a very valuable defensive role player on "any" NBA team.

Can we actually give Melo a chance.

The kid blows right now, but:

1. He's put up some huge numbers in individual games in the D-League

2. He's obviously considerably more athletic than Perkins, is longer and quicker laterally.

3. Is known for his defensive ability

I would absolutely 100% give this kid 5-10 minutes per game, every game for the rest of the season. There is no way he can be any worse than Jason Collins. And with some regular minutes and a lot of pressure he might actually make some real progress.

In fact, I bet with a consistent diet of 10 minutes a night he'd average 5 points, 3 rebounds and a block.

I'd use him just to take a load off of KG for 5-10 minutes.         

I just don't think he's nearly as bad as he's being made out to be.

I think Ainge probably wouldn't be willing t6o let him go "yet" unless it was a trade that was bringing back Jordan or Gortat - melo could very well turn out to be a solid defensive presence for us within the next year or two.

I'd start speeding up his learning curve tomorrow night against Gortat - let him live and learn. Live and learn baby, on the court.

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 08:38:34 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Kendrick Perkins:

* Yet, he becomes a solid starting defensive center on two championship caliber NBA teams.

Avery Bradley was absolute "dog meat" two years into his NBA career. Guy is starting now and at worst is a very valuable defensive role player on "any" NBA team.

2. He's obviously considerably more athletic than Perkins, is longer and quicker laterally.

I would absolutely 100% give this kid 5-10 minutes per game, every game for the rest of the season. There is no way he can be any worse than Jason Collins. And with some regular minutes and a lot of pressure he might actually make some real progress.

In fact, I bet with a consistent diet of 10 minutes a night he'd average 5 points, 3 rebounds and a block.

I think Ainge probably wouldn't be willing t6o let him go "yet" unless it was a trade that was bringing back Jordan or Gortat - melo could very well turn out to be a solid defensive presence for us within the next year or two.

I'd start speeding up his learning curve tomorrow night against Gortat - let him live and learn. Live and learn baby, on the court.

But, but Perk could make mean faces!!

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 08:39:51 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Kendrick Perkins:

good comparison, I am staying optimistic. He just needs more experience in the NBA since he is too raw...but i believe he'll get it

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Let's agree to disagree.

He isn't a player now.   They were trying to give him away.   

****.   He is averaging 6.8 RPG and 11 points.   He is not even 1st team all DL, not even 2nd team DL and yes not even third team DL.  I think misrepresentations of his stats is one of things that irks most about him. 

http://www.nba.com/dleague/statistics/player/Scoring.jsp

2nd in BPG
Not even top 50 in scoring.
40th in double doubles with 3, one triple double.
Not top 40 in rebounds folks.
23rd in FG%

You can look at these things and see he doesn't remote put up huge numbers.  The odds in fact are against it, am I calling you a liar.  You figure it out!  But I am backing it with stats, not hyperbole.

No one argues he can block shots.   But he is one dimensional player and his positional defense is not good.   He is weak only did 9 185 lbs at the draft combine.   He does look stronger now but he has a way to go.

There is no way he can be any worse than Jason Collins.

Doc's playing time seems to indicate he is worse.  He does not clog the lanes or space the floor like Collins.

We all are glad you feel that way but I live in the world of facts.   Do you believe in the Easter Bunny too?  Maybe your a Syracuse fan?

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/syracuse/fab-melo

Not very good stats, eh?

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/fab_melo/

DL stats not that much better.   I hope I am wrong I want him to help the C's but I think he is a project.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/fab_melo/nba_career_stats.html

Again, not looking NBA ready.

Avery Bradley showed more promise.  Perk could play positional D and defend the rim.  Melo can only defend the rim.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/02/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_28.html

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/20/report-celtics-make-fab-melo-available-in-trade-for-guard/

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/02/celtics-shopping-fab-melo-in-trade-talks.html

Dangling is not exactly an endorsement of value.  Ainge was trying to give him away.   

BTW, I have rights to a bridges, moon rocks and russian meteors for all you optimists and I am sure I could produce some Sasquatch hairs on demand if you want to pay cash, perhaps.

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 08:57:43 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Kendrick Perkins:

Really great observation
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 09:00:24 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
been saying this since the kid was drafted -- he's so raw he shouldn't be expected to make a contribution until his 3rd season.  he should be developing in D league this year and next to really learn the game. 

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 09:02:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Kendrick Perkins:

So wait... you just showed that Perk didn't even get 10+ minutes until his 3rd year (after countless one-on-one sessions with the great Big man coach, Clifford Ray)... and we're both comparing Melo to Perk... and yet your take away form this is that Melo needs to be given important minutes? 

My takeaway is that Melo needs 3 years before he sniffs a meaningful NBA minute...   I feel like your Perk example backs me up here.

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 09:05:45 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
So wait... you just showed that Perk didn't even get 10+ minutes until his 3rd year (after countless one-on-one sessions with the great Big man coach, Clifford Ray)... and we're both comparing Melo to Perk... and yet your take away form this is that Melo needs to be given important minutes? 

I question whether you even read what he said. Basically, give him some chances.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 09:09:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I question whether you even read what he said.

He said to give him 5-10 minutes a night.  I'm leaning more towards giving him 3 ala Perk his rookie year.  Melo's not ready.  He's a garbage time player right now.  We can throw him in there when we're getting blown out or keep him in the D-League.  Had the D-League existed Perk's rookie year, he probably would have spent most of his time there too.

Btw, just in case nobody knows this... when Perk was in highschool I remember reading a quote from David Aldridge.  He was asked who the best centers in the league would be in 5 years.  He said "Yao Ming and the kid from Texas whose name is escaping me right now".  He was referring to Perk.  I remember it well.  He was a big prospect.  Danny knew he was getting a nice project with him... which is why he took him out of high school. 

Melo spent some time in College, but he's just as raw, IMO.  Just as much a stiff as rookie perk.  Not saying he will not turn into a contributor... I'm just saying it's not happening this year.  Keep him in the D-league where he belongs.

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
also just an FYI... Melo wasn't even a top player in the D-League.  There are 52 players outperforming him (statistically) this year.  He's getting a lot of blocks, but that's because he's one of only like three 7 footers in the entire league.

And keep in mind we're talking about a league where Luke Harongody is arguably the best player... averaging 20 points, and 12 rebounds.  Yeah... Poor man's Brian Scalabrine is a force in the Children's league.

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 09:15:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Btw, just in case nobody knows this... when Perk was in highschool I remember reading a quote from David Aldridge.  He was asked who the best centers in the league would be in 5 years.  He said "Yao Ming and the kid from Texas whose name is escaping me right now".  He was referring to Perk.  I remember it well.  He was a big prospect.  Danny knew he was getting a nice project with him... which is why he took him out of high school. 

Yeah, Perk was an All-American in high school averaging 27.5 points, 16.4 rebounds, and 7.8 blocks.  He was an 18 year old with a lot of potential.

Melo is 22 years old, and he's a much bigger project than Perk was even at age 18.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 09:23:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am not the biggest Perk fan but he played superb positional defense.

Roy, in all fairness Fab was a McDonald's All American.

http://www.suathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7772

http://statsheet.com/bhsb/players/fab-melo

But he can't touch Perk at anything save blocked shots.

His picture is next to the dictionary next to raw....