Author Topic: Is Danny Forcing Doc's Hand with Melo  (Read 10281 times)

Re: Is Danny Forcing Doc's Hand with Melo
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 06:46:42 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Actually, I would not mind seeing Melo out there a few minutes a game just to get his feet wet.  The kid looks super jittery and very lost out there.  Perhaps a little time will do Fab some good?

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 06:54:40 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I thought the beginning of this thread title said "Is Danny Fortson ..."

Don't care how long it's been, our big-man situation is so bad that I'd gladly take Danny Fortson back right now.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 07:11:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think if anything, this trade deadline showed that Danny puts almost no value in Melo.

I mean, he would have preferred to trade Melo over Jason Collins and a deadweight expiring contract.  Washington preferred that deadweight contract and deadweight Jason Collins to Melo, as well.

So, no, I don't think Danny is trying to force Doc to play Melo.  Everyone knows how that experiment is going to work out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 07:11:44 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I think if anything, this trade deadline showed that Danny puts almost no value in Melo.

I mean, he would have preferred to trade Melo over Jason Collins and a deadweight expiring contract.  Washington preferred that deadweight contract and deadweight Jason Collins to Melo, as well.

So, no, I don't think Danny is trying to force Doc to play Melo.  Everyone knows how that experiment is going to work out.

He'll have more PFs than minutes played.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 07:24:29 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 07:29:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Given what he has shown and his collegiate career why would he?

Melo has some skill on D but other than that he is neopyhte.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Sure why not? We're not winning a championship anyway. Let's get real here. Let him play 5-10 a night.

I don't put much stock in the idea that the Wiz wanted Collins over Fab. Collins is an expiring and hey EVERYONE was put on the block this deadline. Literally the entire team if rumors were to be believed.

If you're saying Fab was on the block and thus has no value, then basically you're saying no one on the team has any value..

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 07:37:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Melo is nervous out there. Thus runs all stiff, and overall plays all lost. Trust me, the guy doesn't run like that

Melo was good in college and a huge part as to the reason why Syracuse had an awesome record last year. He held his own against Thomas Robinson, and other bigs in his conference

He just needs to get comfortable. Maybe op is right that Doc really has no choice right now unless he wants to play bass at center.

Until the next pf/c pickup, Melo is going to get his chance. I hope he can pull through

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I didn't know Thomas Robinson played in his conference??

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 07:44:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I didn't know Thomas Robinson played in his conference??

my bad. that was sullinger.

I meant Andre Drummond

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 07:53:52 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
well forcing Fab to play right now is a speed course. He can practice well all he wants, but if he never plays consistent minutes in the NBA he will never pan out.

So if this is the case, we can see if Fab is worth still investing into or if we should let him go in the near future either by trade or waiving.

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 07:55:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I definitely want to see him start to get some more minutes.  I don't expect him to play in anything but blowouts for a while, but at least having him on the bench in Boston gives him the opportunity. 

I think that Maine may have maxed out its usefulness for Fab for the time being. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
The removal of collins will just lead to more green at the 4 and bass at the 5.....

joy

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 08:17:51 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I sure hope not. I understand guys could look lost early on and eventually become impact players, but this guy seems years away from being a decent NBA player.

I do not want to see much of him on the court this year. Maine or on the bench, that's it.

He certainly looks lost at times, but the guy has only played what...15 minutes of NBA game time?

I've seen Bass look just as lost at times to be honest...at least 2-3 times every day I see that guy make some really bonehead plays, but we tend to forgive him because he generally does play hard and maeks up for it with the occasional really nice hustle play.

So on that note, even if Melo does struggle - as long as he starts to improve and shows signs of positive impact I'd love to give him some time. 

Also when it comes to judging the importance of time, look no further than Jeff Green.  How bad was he playing at the start of the season, on both ends of the floor?  In Offense he couldn't score to save his life (getting 6 points from him was a struggle) and his defense was horrendous.  He spent tons of time just standing around in corners waiting for a pass and looked passive and asleep.  Even today, he's not the type of player who goes out with etreme intensity and aggression like KG.  He has a tendancy to play aggressive in bursts - he might score 12 points in one quarter, then only score 6 points (and look fairly passive) the rest of the game.

Now imagine if you only played him 6 minutes, when he's not in that 'aggressive' mode.  You would truly belive he's one of the worst players in the game at his position.

Liekwise what if you only played Bass 6 minutes and he recorded a couple of his bonehead plays in that time - you'd think he's utterly uselsss and barely D league material.

Moral of the story is give the guy a chance. You come out for 3 minutes on a stage you've never really played on.  You're nervous, your heart rate is up, you're overthinking things so you don't make an error.  It's really hard to play well in that state of mind - you throw up wild airballs (too anxious or too much power), you fumble the ball on passes, you miss defensive rotations...this is all expected. Even Sully struggled a LOT when he first started.

Only once he's playing 10-15 minutes a night (for a couple of months) can you really get a feel for what he's capable of.

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 08:25:43 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Tell me you didn't just compare Melo to a proven NBA player coming off heart surgery.

Melo is a stiff - another Ainge draft-day mistake. Playing time is earned, and he is lost.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."