Author Topic: KG and Pierce are likely going to Retire as Celtics. How do you feel?  (Read 5332 times)

Re: KG and Pierce are likely going to Retire as Celtics. How do you feel?
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 07:07:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Top 5 picks are gold in this league.  That's why everyone thinks the Kings deal is insane.  Bottoming out is your ticket to a top 5 pick.  It's not a guarantee you'll get a title or land a championship asset, but it's your best shot at doing so.

Some people here act like trading KG for blesoe and butler ... trading Pierce for a late 1st and Kris Humphries... neither of which was possible due to the fact neither would agree to the trade... would somehow get us closer to a future title.  It's nonsense.  Kris Humphries and Eric Bledsoe isn't going to get you closer to a title.  Bottoming out and collecting top 5 picks is.   Enjoy KG and Pierce while they are here and get ready for the long winter. 

This is why the people who insist that you have to trade Pierce to a contender, if you trade him, are nuts.  You should be looking to deal him to a team that will give up a potential lottery pick in return, which often means taking back a crap sandwich of bad contracts in return.  Ideally, you get a protected pick that you end up not being able to use until a future year when the protection is not as strong.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm glad that they'll now likely finish their careers in Boston, and that we get to see them in Green the rest of this season.

I do hope, however, that they give absolutely everything they have in this year's playoffs (assuming we make the postseason) and then retire after this season. They're still good players, but they've become a bit less effective and will likely be even less so next season, and wiping their two contracts off the books after this season would give Danny a good chunk of change to work with. Next season, start Rondo (unless he's traded), Bradley, and Green, and also start Sully (unless Danny somehow acquires a legit starting PF). Also play Lee a lot, and we'll also see between now and then how Crawford and Williams fare.

And hope for the best.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 07:07:55 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Both of them are great players. So, happy to have them again

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
dissapointed that ainge didn't show the initiative he claimed he would.  this team is now stuck where you don't want to be.  in the middle.

The team is in the middle, but it is not stuck there.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 07:11:03 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I feel awesome.  I can't wait to watch them battle together again in the playoffs.

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 07:18:23 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Hope one of them retires this year so we can sign Smith.
Joy, so we can get killed in the playoffs like the Hawks. Smith stinks.

I don't get this thinking. So we should never sign a player that doesn't put us automatically in contention?
Not if the person will cost too much for what you get. I don't like Smith and don't want him on the Celtics. He's Antoine Walker part II.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 07:20:23 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I kind of hope they both come back for another season.   
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Glad to have them back but Lordy the rebuild is going to suck eggs!

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 07:28:40 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Top 5 picks are gold in this league.  That's why everyone thinks the Kings deal is insane.  Bottoming out is your ticket to a top 5 pick.  It's not a guarantee you'll get a title or land a championship asset, but it's your best shot at doing so.

Some people here act like trading KG for blesoe and butler ... trading Pierce for a late 1st and Kris Humphries... neither of which was possible due to the fact neither would agree to the trade... would somehow get us closer to a future title.  It's nonsense.  Kris Humphries and Eric Bledsoe isn't going to get you closer to a title.  Bottoming out and collecting top 5 picks is.   Enjoy KG and Pierce while they are here and get ready for the long winter. 

This is why the people who insist that you have to trade Pierce to a contender, if you trade him, are nuts.  You should be looking to deal him to a team that will give up a potential lottery pick in return, which often means taking back a crap sandwich of bad contracts in return.  Ideally, you get a protected pick that you end up not being able to use until a future year when the protection is not as strong.

I don't buy the Pierce would have retired argument this year any more than I did last year.  He might not have been happy about it, but he wouldn't have retired from the NBA over it.

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 07:30:34 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Happy with no assets for them and 1st round exits..good times. They'll retire with nothing to show for them and no decent free agents that want to come to Boston. Sounds like a recipe for success.  :P

I wouldn't call winning Championship "nothing". ???
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2013, 07:37:25 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I am not sentimental.  It means nothing to me where a player plays/retires.  I don't think less of Parish, for instance, because he didn't retire a Celtic.  I don't think it tarnished Jordan at all.  I don't think Montana not retiring a 49er changes anything.

That's just me.  To be honest, I think KG's act is more tiresome on an average team.  If I have to sit in the stands with my kids and listen to KG spew 100 f bombs a quarter, I expect more wins.  I would have enjoyed to watch him elevate a team like the Clips to championship (if it was impossible here, obviously rather have him winning here). Same with Pierce.  But that's just me.

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2013, 07:43:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
How do I feel?

Good, [dang] good!

Said from the word go KG and the Truth were going nowhere.  This was the best outcome.  Disagree if you want.  Just makes you wrong.

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2013, 07:46:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I feel good about it for the remainder of this season.

I think we'll be having the exact same conversation around draft time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2013, 07:49:27 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I didn't see any offers out there that were worth trading Pierce or KG.  I'm glad to still have them on board.

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2013, 07:53:08 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I feel good about it for the remainder of this season.

I think we'll be having the exact same conversation around draft time.

Which might not be a bad thing at all.

As far as I am aware, KG can retire and forgo his salary.  He seems like the type of guy that would do the franchise a favor, and actually file his official papers.

Pierce can always be amnestied.

We'd still need to move a few other contracts, but could potentially have some decent cap space.  Or, we could just stink it up for a year, and push the cap space back a year and see what is on the market the following season.  We'd also likely have a lottery pick in the fold in that scenario.

We still have some flexibility.