Author Topic: KG and Pierce are likely going to Retire as Celtics. How do you feel?  (Read 5271 times)

Re: KG and Pierce are likely going to Retire as Celtics. How do you feel?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 06:23:37 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think it's not very fun to watch your team get worse every year and now we will watch that for the next 5-6 years.

I really feel this was the last opportunity to start to rebuild this team with assets that could make it a LOT easier. Now we have to hope Rondo and Green get better and Sully comes back 100% and improves.

I don't see this as a good thing, sorry.

All of that was inevitable, though.  Rare does a team rebuild on the fly successfully.  We always knew we were going to bottom out.

Last year I was shocked we didn't move Ray... and later found out we DID move ray, but the deal fell apart.  It is what it is, though.  These guys are gone in 3-15 months and then we'll either toil away as a 35-45 win team lead by Rondo and Green... or we'll dump those guys for draft picks and try to bottom out.. 

At this point, I'm thinking we try our best to be competitive this year.  I figure KG and Pierce retire.  And on draft day we start shopping Rondo and everyone for draft picks, cap space and young undeveloped assets.  Revisit a trade with the Kings or something.  But "blowing up" the roster will just happen naturally with our legends retiring in Green.

because, that plan "get horrible and tank" has worked out sooo well for Charlotte/the raptors and several other teams...even the Celtics who failed to ever get the #1 pick

Ainge isnt going that route...I think he will try and lure someone like Josh Smith, or build enough young assets to try and get a #2(or #1 guy) for Rondo.

I think if you have a Bonafid talent like rondo you try to get pieces to compete WITH him
Let's be honest here.  THe last time Boston allowed itself to "bottom out" and win 24 games... we won a championship the next year.

The Cavs bottomed out and got LeBron.  Then they bottomed out again and got Kyrie Irving.  The Hornets bottomed out and now they have Anthony Davis. 

Sure you could go the chicago route and blow it every single year with your top 5 pick... but your best chance at instant improvement is to bottom out for a few years.

*rolls eyes*

We bottomed out and failed to get the top 2 pick we were after. We lucked into those deals that brought us the banner.

Cavs got LeBron. And no championships.

Every team that wins the lottery successfully bottoms out. Its the other 5+ teams that don't get the 1 pick that don't.

It's a pathetic attempt to turn around a franchise. I was disappointed we went that route in 2007 and it would have been a total disaster had KG not been on the market and us getting him below market value.

*rolls eyes again at myself for not only reading one of your posts but responding to it*
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 06:24:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Nobody thinks of Joe Montana and thinks of his time with the Chiefs. Nobody thinks of Jerry Rice and what he did for the Raiders. Nobody thinks of Robert Parish and all of his contributions to Charlotte.

I do

No you don't. You know that they all played for other franchises, but you don't think of their contributions to them. My life won't be different if KG plays for the Clippers. I will always know what he did for the Celtics and his wonderful years here. Watching the Celtics sputter out the next year or two and getting absolutely nothing for our best players seems like a total waste. I give Bill Belichick a LOT of credit for not being sentimental in the moment - he is always looking to the future.

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 06:30:20 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Nobody thinks of Joe Montana and thinks of his time with the Chiefs. Nobody thinks of Jerry Rice and what he did for the Raiders. Nobody thinks of Robert Parish and all of his contributions to Charlotte.

I do

No you don't. You know that they all played for other franchises, but you don't think of their contributions to them. My life won't be different if KG plays for the Clippers. I will always know what he did for the Celtics and his wonderful years here. Watching the Celtics sputter out the next year or two and getting absolutely nothing for our best players seems like a total waste. I give Bill Belichick a LOT of credit for not being sentimental in the moment - he is always looking to the future.

Yes, I do. I have a Chief Charlotte Hornets picture up in my sports room I got at one of the games seeing that I live in Charlotte.

And I still will have nothing to do with the 49ers for getting rid of Montana. I also recall his playing for the Chiefs in the playoffs. Good times.

And I wanted NOTHING to do with the trades some of you guys wanted. I'd rather have our guys then the trash people wanted to give us for them. Trash I tell you.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:35:36 PM by Onslaught »
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 06:30:50 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
If they do both retire as Celtics, I will be very VERY happy.

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 06:30:56 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
If they retire as Celtics, great.
But we are going to relive all this craziness again in the days leading up to the draft. Mark my words!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Pleased.

I have zero interest in the Pitino-ization of the franchise so many of you were falling all over yourselves about, dumping HOFers for scrubs.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 06:39:49 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
i was for making the team younger but not at the expense of KG and PP.  Just love these guys and honeslty dont know if i'd have the same connection without them there.

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 06:39:50 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think it's not very fun to watch your team get worse every year and now we will watch that for the next 5-6 years.

I really feel this was the last opportunity to start to rebuild this team with assets that could make it a LOT easier. Now we have to hope Rondo and Green get better and Sully comes back 100% and improves.

All of that was inevitable, though.  Rare does a team rebuild on the fly successfully.  We always knew we were going to bottom out.

Last year I was shocked we didn't move Ray... and later found out we DID move ray, but the deal fell apart.  It is what it is, though.  These guys are gone in 3-15 months and then we'll either toil away as a 35-45 win team lead by Rondo and Green... or we'll dump those guys for draft picks and try to bottom out.. 

At this point, I'm thinking we try our best to be competitive this year.  I figure KG and Pierce retire.  And on draft day we start shopping Rondo and everyone for draft picks, cap space and young undeveloped assets.  Revisit a trade with the Kings or something.  But "blowing up" the roster will just happen naturally with our legends retiring in Green.

because, that plan "get horrible and tank" has worked out sooo well for Charlotte/the raptors and several other teams...even the Celtics who failed to ever get the #1 pick

Ainge isnt going that route...I think he will try and lure someone like Josh Smith, or build enough young assets to try and get a #2(or #1 guy) for Rondo.

I think if you have a Bonafid talent like rondo you try to get pieces to compete WITH him
Let's be honest here.  THe last time Boston allowed itself to "bottom out" and win 24 games... we won a championship the next year.

The Cavs bottomed out and got LeBron.  Then they bottomed out again and got Kyrie Irving.  The Hornets bottomed out and now they have Anthony Davis. 

Sure you could go the chicago route and blow it every single year with your top 5 pick... but your best chance at instant improvement is to bottom out for a few years.

*rolls eyes*

We bottomed out and failed to get the top 2 pick we were after. We lucked into those deals that brought us the banner.

Every team that wins the lottery successfully bottoms out. Its the other 5+ teams that don't get the 1 pick that don't.

It's a pathetic attempt to turn around a franchise. I was disappointed we went that route in 2007 and it would have been a total disaster had KG not been on the market and us getting him below market value.

*rolls eyes again at myself for not only reading one of your posts but responding to it*

It's better to "bottom out" due to having injuries on a team with some talent instead of stinking because you have no talent, even when healthy.  The 2006-2007 Celtics were, well, not great but not ridiculously devoid of talent. The team completely unraveled when Paul Pierce went down.

You work with what you have.  You don't try to force your team to fit some archetype of rebuilding just like you shouldn't make personnel decisions based on players fitting positional archetypes of height and skill set without considering their intelligence, work ethic, and actual level of production.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If they retire as Celtics, great.
But we are going to relive all this craziness again in the days leading up to the draft. Mark my words!

I've already predicted that the off-season will be filled with stories about Chris Paul and Chauncey Billups lobbying KG to waive his no-trade clause.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 06:50:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

*rolls eyes*

Top 5 picks are gold in this league.  That's why everyone thinks the Kings deal is insane.  Bottoming out is your ticket to a top 5 pick.  It's not a guarantee you'll get a title or land a championship asset, but it's your best shot at doing so.

Some people here act like trading KG for blesoe and butler ... trading Pierce for a late 1st and Kris Humphries... neither of which was possible due to the fact neither would agree to the trade... would somehow get us closer to a future title.  It's nonsense.  Kris Humphries and Eric Bledsoe isn't going to get you closer to a title.  Bottoming out and collecting top 5 picks is.   Enjoy KG and Pierce while they are here and get ready for the long winter. 

Kevin Durant is 24 years.  Bron is 28.  We got another 5-8 years minimum to rebuild during their primes.  Not like getting Eric Bledsoe is going to be the missing asset to getting you a comparable talent to Durant and Bron.  In due time we'll be a lotto team.  Try to have fun watching this little playoff participant while it lasts.

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I feel happy. A lil happier for the Captain. He's the reason why I became a Celtics fan.

Danny obviously had a very difficult decision to take, and I think he made the right choice! Many people here don't think there's any value in watching Pierce retire a Celtic, but you might understand this value the day he retires, which is gonna come really soon.
I was not opposed to trade him for something of value, but that was obviously not the case. I would be really p***ed off to watch him get traded for scrubs just for the sake of trading.

KG on the other hands just wants it so bad, he wants to retire a Celtic, he loves this team and everything it stands for almost as much as he loves basketball. He's a smart guy and he knows how business work but it would be devastating to watch him go, while he has openly told the media he wants to retire a Celtic as much as anything, multiple times.

Celtics franchise is all about championships, but is also all about pride. Given the circumstances, Danny did the right thing folks. The day #34 and #5 are hanged in the rafters is gonna be so much sweeter now.

P.S.: I don't see Celtics resigning Paul Pierce this summer, but I also don't see Pierce wanting to play for another team. Probably KG follows him, so I think we're definitely watching their very last NBA games. We should cherish the moments guys...
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'm going to be happy watching PP and KG play in green for the next 1/2 to 2 1/2 seasons. They're such warriors.

I have also been enjoying the development of the young guys. Green has come around. Lee is a solid role player. Rondo is a star. Bradley has been fun to watch, same for Sully before the injury.

The C's are quietly building a roster of nice young players. Not a final product mind you, but a roster of chips to trade or mold around another star player when the time comes.

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'm ecstatic!!! KG and PP are the heart and soul of this team, they literally help bring Celtics pride back to Boston. I really wanna see these two retire in green.

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 07:04:45 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
dissapointed that ainge didn't show the initiative he claimed he would.  this team is now stuck where you don't want to be.  in the middle. 

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 07:04:52 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Hope one of them retires this year so we can sign Smith.
Joy, so we can get killed in the playoffs like the Hawks. Smith stinks.

I don't get this thinking. So we should never sign a player that doesn't put us automatically in contention?