Author Topic: KG and Pierce are likely going to Retire as Celtics. How do you feel?  (Read 5335 times)

Re: KG and Pierce are likely going to Retire as Celtics. How do you feel?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 05:50:48 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I bet I feel a whole lot better about it when it's their last game. Right now I'm pretty let down we couldn't make a move

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 05:52:30 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I think it's not very fun to watch your team get worse every year and now we will watch that for the next 5-6 years.

I really feel this was the last opportunity to start to rebuild this team with assets that could make it a LOT easier. Now we have to hope Rondo and Green get better and Sully comes back 100% and improves.

I don't see this as a good thing, sorry.

All of that was inevitable, though.  Rare does a team rebuild on the fly successfully.  We always knew we were going to bottom out.

Last year I was shocked we didn't move Ray... and later found out we DID move ray, but the deal fell apart.  It is what it is, though.  These guys are gone in 3-15 months and then we'll either toil away as a 35-45 win team lead by Rondo and Green... or we'll dump those guys for draft picks and try to bottom out.. 

At this point, I'm thinking we try our best to be competitive this year.  I figure KG and Pierce retire.  And on draft day we start shopping Rondo and everyone for draft picks, cap space and young undeveloped assets.  Revisit a trade with the Kings or something.  But "blowing up" the roster will just happen naturally with our legends retiring in Green.

because, that plan "get horrible and tank" has worked out sooo well for Charlotte/the raptors and several other teams...even the Celtics who failed to ever get the #1 pick

Ainge isnt going that route...I think he will try and lure someone like Josh Smith, or build enough young assets to try and get a #2(or #1 guy) for Rondo.

I think if you have a Bonafid talent like rondo you try to get pieces to compete WITH him

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Let's talk about it.  Last year was probably our last shot at moving Pierce for anything of considerable value (to Brooklyn for a lotto pick that ended up being Damian Lillard... could have also used it on Andre Drummond)

I'm not convinced this is true.  If I wanted to trade Pierce, I'd be looking to move him in the off-season to a non-contending team with a big long-term contract to an older player they want to shed and a likely lottery pick that they can kick in (with the usual protections).  To the Wizards for Nene and a protected first-round pick, for example, might be the starting point for discussing a trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 05:53:57 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I for one am relieved. KG bleeds green. He is, to put it simply, "the man"
Pierce deserves to retire a Celtic and see his number hung from the rafters.
I am disappointed that Danny failed to put pieces around them to ensure they go out on top.
Since the kg trade we have needed to acquire and develop a young big who could develop behind kg. Danny whiffed on patty obrian, whiffed when he didn't draft deandre jordan and also passed on hibbard. He brought in old stiffs to help win now, none (besides pj) worked out.
I don't fault him for trading perk, green is a good piece.
I do fault him for gambling on high risk projects, mostly wasting his picks on guys like giddens, walker, gabe pruitt though sully and Bradley were good picks.
its interesting to me that he did so well with Jefferson@15, and rondo perk, allen and d west in the 20's both davis and powe were drafted in the second. all these good picks were made before kg.
so now kg and pierce ride into the sunset with little chance of another title.
That's on Danny.

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 05:54:22 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
I think this trade deadline was a no-win situation for the short-term.   I think DA did the right thing if the return for KG/PP wasn't there. However, I can't help feeling a little disappointed that we didn't get a jump start on the rebuild. 
But if DA had traded one or both, I'd have been a little bummed too. 

The only hope now is that Rondo and Sully come back strong and PP/KG keep it going for another year.  WIth JG development (still a question mark, IMO), and possibly Bradley taking another step, I suppose we may have a run  left. 
KG/PP retiring as Celtics isn't as important to me as positioning for a championship.

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Hope one of them retires this year so we can sign Smith.
Joy, so we can get killed in the playoffs like the Hawks. Smith stinks.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 05:59:32 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Unless they retire this off-season I wouldn't count on this being set in stone.

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 06:00:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I love both of these players, but I think if the LAC trade and ATL trade were really on the table, then I think it was a complete failure.

Nobody thinks of Joe Montana and thinks of his time with the Chiefs. Nobody thinks of Jerry Rice and what he did for the Raiders. Nobody thinks of Robert Parish and all of his contributions to Charlotte.

If we truly had a chance to rebuild this team with several young assets, then this was a complete and total mistake to keep this borderline playoff team together for sentimental reasons.

And for everybody who thinks we will have all of this cap space if KG and Pierce retires, read up on Roy's explanation from last week. We essentially are screwed if we can't maintain our salary way above the cap as it is now.

Get ready, folks. We are about to take a long ride to irrelevant-ville for the next several years.

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 06:02:14 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I am glad they will both retire here. Both are in my top 5 Celts of all time. I hope they both decide to hang it up at the end of this year so the rebuilding can begin immediately and in earnest,

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 06:02:29 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
We will see. Pierce's contract becomes real valuable this off season for a team looking for immediate cap space. Dallas used a similar type contract with Eric dampier to get Tyson Chandler and a title. Remember pierce can be traded and waived immediately saving a team instantly over ten mill.

Hopefully we try to get healthy and make a run at this thing next year. One more time.

No reason for them to retire as they are both playing at a near all star level. Why stop doing something a) you love b) is fun c) youre still pretty elite at and d) pays you MILLIONS of dollars? That's insanity.

Not like we will have cap room either. As of now I'll be shocked if we dont go for it one more time. Hopefully rondo comes back strong ala AD, and buys into playing more off ball. This team could be SA east with rondo buying in to the present style of play.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 06:15:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think it's not very fun to watch your team get worse every year and now we will watch that for the next 5-6 years.

I really feel this was the last opportunity to start to rebuild this team with assets that could make it a LOT easier. Now we have to hope Rondo and Green get better and Sully comes back 100% and improves.

I don't see this as a good thing, sorry.

All of that was inevitable, though.  Rare does a team rebuild on the fly successfully.  We always knew we were going to bottom out.

Last year I was shocked we didn't move Ray... and later found out we DID move ray, but the deal fell apart.  It is what it is, though.  These guys are gone in 3-15 months and then we'll either toil away as a 35-45 win team lead by Rondo and Green... or we'll dump those guys for draft picks and try to bottom out.. 

At this point, I'm thinking we try our best to be competitive this year.  I figure KG and Pierce retire.  And on draft day we start shopping Rondo and everyone for draft picks, cap space and young undeveloped assets.  Revisit a trade with the Kings or something.  But "blowing up" the roster will just happen naturally with our legends retiring in Green.

because, that plan "get horrible and tank" has worked out sooo well for Charlotte/the raptors and several other teams...even the Celtics who failed to ever get the #1 pick

Ainge isnt going that route...I think he will try and lure someone like Josh Smith, or build enough young assets to try and get a #2(or #1 guy) for Rondo.

I think if you have a Bonafid talent like rondo you try to get pieces to compete WITH him
Let's be honest here.  THe last time Boston allowed itself to "bottom out" and win 24 games... we won a championship the next year.

The Cavs bottomed out and got LeBron.  Then they bottomed out again and got Kyrie Irving.  The Hornets bottomed out and now they have Anthony Davis. 

Sure you could go the chicago route and blow it every single year with your top 5 pick... but your best chance at instant improvement is to bottom out for a few years. 

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 06:17:07 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Love for them to retire in Celtics Green, but I'm looking into two years from now as the date.

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 06:18:03 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Nobody thinks of Joe Montana and thinks of his time with the Chiefs. Nobody thinks of Jerry Rice and what he did for the Raiders. Nobody thinks of Robert Parish and all of his contributions to Charlotte.

I do
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 06:18:17 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I think this trade deadline was a no-win situation for the short-term.   I think DA did the right thing if the return for KG/PP wasn't there. However, I can't help feeling a little disappointed that we didn't get a jump start on the rebuild. 
But if DA had traded one or both, I'd have been a little bummed too. 

The only hope now is that Rondo and Sully come back strong and PP/KG keep it going for another year.  WIth JG development (still a question mark, IMO), and possibly Bradley taking another step, I suppose we may have a run  left. 
KG/PP retiring as Celtics isn't as important to me as positioning for a championship.

Not even close.

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 06:19:10 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Very happy.

I don't think any of the offers, that we saw, were good.

I love that Pierce will retire here for his legacy.

And KG... I know he hasn't been here as long, but there is no player that I feel more strongly about than him.  Have always been a huge fan and he plays basketball exactly how it should be played.  He is beyond basically every other player out there.

He is a guy who should retire in green and be buried in it.

I would love if he would choose to become a coach of sorts for us when he's done.  He could choose to do other things as well,  I think he would be great on TV, but I would love that.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford