Author Topic: Free Agent Big Men / Possible buyouts  (Read 12597 times)

Re: Free Agent Big Men / Possible buyouts
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 41
  • Celtic Pride
I still don't get what is up with Hassan Whiteside.  Statistically he dominates the D-Leaugue's per48 holding the #1 spot in rebounding and blocked shots, but hardly plays since getting traded to Houston's affiliate.

He falls out of bed and blocks 2 shots.  He is top ten, seventh I think, in fg% as well.  He is a legit 7 footer who is athletic, jumps well, and runs well. Why not have this guy play 10 minutes a game? 

I can see the replies now, "because he sucks."  Well if he sucks why is he grabbing rebounds and blocking shots at a better clip than anyone else in the D-League?  I watched him play the Red Claws and after he swatted two shots of people driving the Red Claws went into a 3pt shooting contest offense only.

We need a guy who can block shots and rebound.  Seems like a fit.
TP for thinking the same!
Dutch Celtics Pride

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
What about Diop? He seems like a classic vet buyout candidate.
He'd be great, if he wasn't quite horrible. An illustrative example how a Kendrick Perkins type turns out without the work ethic.

A better comparison is Jason Collins. He's a capable defender, but can't buy a bucket. He'd certainly be worth considering under the circumstances.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2013, 04:00:38 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I still don't get what is up with Hassan Whiteside.  Statistically he dominates the D-Leaugue's per48 holding the #1 spot in rebounding and blocked shots, but hardly plays since getting traded to Houston's affiliate.

He falls out of bed and blocks 2 shots.  He is top ten, seventh I think, in fg% as well.  He is a legit 7 footer who is athletic, jumps well, and runs well. Why not have this guy play 10 minutes a game? 

I can see the replies now, "because he sucks."  Well if he sucks why is he grabbing rebounds and blocking shots at a better clip than anyone else in the D-League?  I watched him play the Red Claws and after he swatted two shots of people driving the Red Claws went into a 3pt shooting contest offense only.

We need a guy who can block shots and rebound.  Seems like a fit.

+1 on Whiteside, you have mentioned him before, and I think he's worth a shot despite some derogatory stuff on this board about his basketball IQ.

Here's a great article on him written around the first of the year:

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2012/12/29/3810252/hassan-whiteside-is-silencing-his-doubters-with-recent-strong-play

"Questions about basketball IQ swirled again, yet teams were drawn to Whiteside's obvious physical abilities. His 7'7" wingspan makes him an ideal shot blocker, rebounder, and defensive weapon in the paint.

On the offensive end of the floor, he has great feel around the rim and finishes strong. Whiteside is also a perimeter threat who can knock down the occasional shot from behind the arc and is accurate from mid-range as well.

And this on his potential from NBAdraft.net:

"NBA Comparison: Marcus Camby/Tyson Chandler

Strengths: A legit 7-footer with excellent size, strength and potential ... Has good agility and run/jump athleticism ... Very intriguing combination of physical attributes (7-feet and 230 lbs with a 7-6 wingspan) and an explosive athlete ... Imposing defensive presence due to his length and leaping ability ... Already a force defensively averaging 4.4 blocks per game in just over 20 minutes per game (through his first 7 games) ... An excellent rebounder, using his size and strength well on the glass at both ends ... Shows an exuberance for the game and should continue to develop as he gains experience ... Shows some nice things offensively with developing post skills and touch on his shot ... He is still in the early stages in his offensive development, so sticking around college 2-3 years would benefit him in the long run

Worth a look.

Sounds like the next Stiemsma.  only taller.  maybe Danny will take a look!

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I'm hoping Blatche gets waived.... We sure need him

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I liked Diop a lot a few years. I haven't really seen him play since he tore his achilles. That is a scary injury to come back from. Really hurts a player's mobility.

Depending on how well he recovered from that torn achilles, Diop may or may not be a good option to pursue if waived.

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2013, 05:55:19 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Eddie Curry is a good center, not too old and experience

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2013, 05:55:47 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Would take Curry at this point..

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2013, 06:01:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I liked Diop a lot a few years. I haven't really seen him play since he tore his achilles. That is a scary injury to come back from. Really hurts a player's mobility.

Depending on how well he recovered from that torn achilles, Diop may or may not be a good option to pursue if waived.

I'm on the same boat. Don't know how he is at the moment, but my most vivid memory of him is believing that if Dallas had played him more against Golden State, they wouldn't have lost that series.

That Dallas playoff team had one of the worst coaching performances in recent memory, Avery Johnson.

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2013, 06:14:34 PM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Any chance that any of these guys get released?

Brendan Haywood,
Tyrus Thomas,
Kwame Brown,
Chris Kaman,
Dexter Pittman,
Nazr Mohammed,
Drew Gooden,
Joel Przybilla,
Anthony Randolph,
Jared Jeffries,
Al Harrington,
Hakim Warrick,
Andris Biendrins,
Hamed Haddadi,
Jermaine O'Neal.

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2013, 06:34:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm hoping Blatche gets waived.... We sure need him
Blatche is getting 20 mpg with Brooklyn.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Still puzzled by Ohlbrecht rejecting unless he is the midst of multiple offers and the celts one was the least attractive.

DJ White i guess it is. Has the build of a Reggie Evans. But better athleticism and not as good rebounding skills (unless he improved from his China stint).

Look at his game stats for last year with the bobcats and he was putting up 6 boards in like 20 min =[

I still think Danny should also consider Rick Jackson.

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2013, 06:51:48 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I've come up with 4 groups of possible big men for C's:

1.Hakim Warrick ( this is a group of guys who can really help the team and i've found only 1 guy for this group)

2.Tony Battie, Erick Dampier, Ben Wallace, Juwan Howard
(group of veterans who can give us Collins contribution of some 8min per game)

3.Mickell Gladness, Jarvis Varnado, Hassan Whiteside, Louis Amundson, Keith Benson, Sean Williams ( group of good defenders but young and with a little expirience)

4.Earl Barron, Josh Harrellson, Brad Miller, Luke Harangody, Troy Murphy, Samardo Samuels, DaJuan Summers
(group of guys who can be a liability at the defensive end but they all got some skills for scoring or rebounding)

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2013, 06:52:19 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Any chance that any of these guys get released?

Brendan Haywood,
Tyrus Thomas,
Kwame Brown,
Chris Kaman,
Dexter Pittman,
Nazr Mohammed,
Drew Gooden,
Joel Przybilla,
Anthony Randolph,
Jared Jeffries,
Al Harrington,
Hakim Warrick,
Andris Biendrins,
Hamed Haddadi,
Jermaine O'Neal.

Don't know for the life of me why GS never amnestied Biendrins
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2013, 06:53:56 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Found this: List of free agents
Earl Barron light us up a few years back when he was with the knicks

Darko is on the list.  Does that mean he's coming back to the NBA?  Will he be willing to rejoin the Celtics?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Don't know for the life of me why GS never amnestied Biendrins

Because they are idiots.  In fact, you can pretty much ignore anyone who holds up the Warriors as a model franchise to emulate in building a roster.

The long story is that Golden State amnestied the expiring contract of Charlie Bell, rescinded their qualifying offer to Reggie Williams, and waived Jeremy Lin to create the cap space needed to sign DeAndre Jordan to an offer sheet that the Clippers had no problem deciding to match.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference