Author Topic: A Missed Opportunity  (Read 2156 times)

Re: A Missed Opportunity
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 11:44:01 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Not if you think that Nets deal is anything but a joke.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
That Nets deal was absolute garbage.  Sure as heck glad that thing didn't come to fruition.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I would've dealt Pierce for Humphries and Brooks. Brooks is a good scoring guard and Humph is a young athletic rebounder.

Brooks is a bad scoring guard.  Humphries is not that young at 28 (or a few weeks older than Brandon Bass) and he's athletic enough to fit the prototype of a PF, but I don't think he's anything special as a power forward, in terms of athleticism.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 12:10:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I would've dealt Pierce for Humphries and Brooks. Brooks is a good scoring guard and Humph is a young athletic rebounder.

Brooks is a bad scoring guard.  Humphries is not that young at 28 (or a few weeks older than Brandon Bass) and he's athletic enough to fit the prototype of a PF, but I don't think he's anything special as a power forward, in terms of athleticism.
Also, as someone pointed out correctly, if you can get a third of this deal for essentially nothing, why do it?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 12:24:47 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
First off, I hope I am wrong.

That said, my reasoning is if the Celts were currently the 1st or 2nd seed in the East, then we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

BUT, they are currently the 7th seed and have shown signs of fatigue this season, normal for an older team.

The idea would've been not to land Humphries and Brooks because they are such good players. The idea would've been to acquire assets for a bigger deal later on down the road.

And if KG waived the no-trade clause, then you could've picked up two more assets in Bledsoe/Jordan.

If the Celts can overtake Miami this year, I will be the happiest man on earth. I just don't see it happening which is why the Celts could've started getting ready for next year and the year after that.

As I mentioned earlier, Humphries would've only been under contract for this season and next. Also, this expiring contact his summer could've been even more valuable than Pierce's.

Assets? These assets couldn't even land Josh Smith for 30 games. Much less anything of value later.
The celtics are better off just letting KG and Pierce expire and then getting a few lottery picks after bad seasons than they are filling the books paying 7 digit salaries to mediocre players.

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 04:03:32 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
We'll see. If the Celtics can either win the title, make it to the NBA finals or even make it to the ECF this year, than certainly the right decision was made not to make these trades and I will be more than happy to admit I was wrong.

If the Celts fail to make it past the second round of the playoffs, then I stand by what I said in this post and I would've been right.

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
We'll see. If the Celtics can either win the title, make it to the NBA finals or even make it to the ECF this year, than certainly the right decision was made not to make these trades and I will be more than happy to admit I was wrong.

If the Celts fail to make it past the second round of the playoffs, then I stand by what I said in this post and I would've been right.
I can't say I agree with your framing of this issue.

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 04:07:43 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Humphries:  6 points, 6 boards, $12 million per season
Brooks: 5.1 points, 0.9 assists, no playing time, no defense

This is what some wanted us to trade Pierce for?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 04:09:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Humphries:  6 points, 6 boards, $12 million per season
Brooks: 5.1 points, 0.9 assists, no playing time, no defense

This is what some wanted us to trade Pierce for?
Assets!

Honestly I think there would be some logic in that sort of trade if we had enough time to truly tank this year. But we went on a win streak after Rondo's injury and it was late enough that we weren't getting a good lottery pick.

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 04:10:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I can't say I agree with your framing of this issue.

To each his own. In closing, I am now happy the trade deadline is over.

I am looking forward to the stretch run between now and April and hope this team can bring home another title.

Like Mike Gorman said to Danny Ainge during the Celts/Bulls game last week, it is just basketball ;D

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 04:32:10 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
After reflecting and reading articles and posts for the last day, I am feeling OK about what happened yesterday.

The jump-start to a rebuild has not really played out yet -- even though we all know that PP and KG value is not rising.  Bottom line is that we were trading for chips, not stars.  And the chips we'd get in the Pierce deal may have proven pretty worthless.  Instead of Humphries, Brooks and a late #1 (even later if Brooklyn has Pierce), we have Paul Pierce (who still could be traded for something), Terrance Williams and Jordan Crawford.  Honestly, the difference in terms of overall 'chip' value between now and if we made the deal is negligible.

The bigger concern (as most seem to agree) is the possible missed opportunity of Bledsoe and Jordan. Again. thinking about trade chips, it's hard to know for sure, but having KG and Pierce still here does make the C's an interesting landing spot for a FA next year.  Without PP and KG, we are a rebuilding waste land.  So, in the off-season, perhaps KG trade possibilities won't land 2 good/decent young players, but again -- you never know what a team might part with for a 1-2 year run with KG.  And if PP and/or KG were gone, no one would want to come to Boston.  So having them here this off-season increases the prospects of a sign and trade or a FA signing that otherwise wouldn't have happened.

Anyway -- long way of saying that I don't think not trading PP and/or KG is going make that big of a differentce in terms of chips down the road.   And I guess shreds of hope for 2013-14 are alive with Sully, Rondo and whomever else we can snag in the off-season.

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
TP Neuroticguy.  We actually could be in a lot worse position than we are, IMO. 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 05:26:28 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
After reflecting and reading articles and posts for the last day, I am feeling OK about what happened yesterday.

The jump-start to a rebuild has not really played out yet -- even though we all know that PP and KG value is not rising.  Bottom line is that we were trading for chips, not stars.  And the chips we'd get in the Pierce deal may have proven pretty worthless.  Instead of Humphries, Brooks and a late #1 (even later if Brooklyn has Pierce), we have Paul Pierce (who still could be traded for something), Terrance Williams and Jordan Crawford.  Honestly, the difference in terms of overall 'chip' value between now and if we made the deal is negligible.

The bigger concern (as most seem to agree) is the possible missed opportunity of Bledsoe and Jordan. Again. thinking about trade chips, it's hard to know for sure, but having KG and Pierce still here does make the C's an interesting landing spot for a FA next year.  Without PP and KG, we are a rebuilding waste land.  So, in the off-season, perhaps KG trade possibilities won't land 2 good/decent young players, but again -- you never know what a team might part with for a 1-2 year run with KG.  And if PP and/or KG were gone, no one would want to come to Boston.  So having them here this off-season increases the prospects of a sign and trade or a FA signing that otherwise wouldn't have happened.

Anyway -- long way of saying that I don't think not trading PP and/or KG is going make that big of a differentce in terms of chips down the road.   And I guess shreds of hope for 2013-14 are alive with Sully, Rondo and whomever else we can snag in the off-season.

It's a good point. Right about now following yesterday's lack of moves, I think the best logic is let's see what we can do this season and maybe next season with the group we have (add a decent FA hopefully along the way, maybe Smoove this summer.)

However along the way between now and July 2014, hopefully we can also shed some serious salary so we can be players in the 2014 free agent frenzy.