Author Topic: Jason Collins  (Read 3231 times)

Jason Collins
« on: February 21, 2013, 05:14:28 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Much respect to Jason Collins.

He was a true professional with a great locker room influence. I'm sure many of our players learned a lot from him, since he gave his all every night. He was ready when called to start, not afraid to take hard hits, and made pivotal plays in a few games. Fans should appreciate players like him more. I think he totally lived up to his contract. Thanks for everything.

We will miss you!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Re: Jason Collins
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 05:17:27 PM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Agreed. Take care JC!

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 05:17:51 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

He was a true professional with a great locker room influence. I'm sure many of our players learned a lot from him, since he gave his all every night. He was ready when called to start, and made pivotal plays in a few games. Fans should appreciate players like him more. I think he totally lived up to his contract. Thanks for everything.

We will miss you!

Agree 100%! Thanks Colly!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 05:20:38 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Doc made him outstay his welcome in my view. Would've been swell if he had remained on the role he was signed for, but alas it was not meant to be.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 05:21:09 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

He was a true professional with a great locker room influence. I'm sure many of our players learned a lot from him, since he gave his all every night. He was ready when called to start, not afraid to take hard hits, and made pivotal plays in a few games. Fans should appreciate players like him more. I think he totally lived up to his contract. Thanks for everything.

We will miss you!

We will?

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 05:23:03 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
My girlfriend was in Denver on business earlier this week and met doc/PP/collins. talked a lot about how genuinely Nice Collins is. Always described as a great teammate. I'll miss his hard fouls where he barely gets a fingertip on someone and they go flying.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 05:25:08 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

We will miss you!

We will?

I will, for sure.

He's a no-nonsense, no-drama, play-hard, role-model, cheap-contract professional. And he's big and better than most of the FAs out there.

How else does a 3.7/3.8 guy have a 12-year career? I think Washington will appreciate his veteran leadership. He'll definitely calm that locker room down.

My girlfriend was in Denver on business earlier this week and met doc/PP/collins. talked a lot about how genuinely Nice Collins is. Always described as a great teammate. I'll miss his hard fouls where he barely gets a fingertip on someone and they go flying.

Mr. Professional!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 05:25:17 PM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I will add that he is better than his 48 2k13 rating, which is tied for worse in the game.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 07:14:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He seems like a nice guy, and I wish him the best.  I won't necessarily miss his atrocious offensive game or lack of rebounding and shot-blocking, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 07:25:43 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
He gave us quality minutes in quite a few games, and did a lot of good things on the court that the average fan wouldn't know how to appreciate.  Sure he's offensively incompetent, can't rebound, picks up offensive fouls when setting screens, etc., but there's a reason why he's an NBA veteran of 11 years.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You can't teach height....

Guy ate space and helped defensive spacing I fear we may miss him more than some think.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 07:31:23 PM »

Offline CelticnLA

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 10
Collins is a bridge to another generation. For all of his experience, I wonder if the kids in Washington will even realize that they have him joining them in the locker room. I wish every team was forced to have a couple of players with 10+ years experience, who were still somewhat rotational players.

These young guns don't get what being a professional is about. This guy knows something, how else can you attribute him to finding a way to stay employed for 12 years, when his skillset is defending post players, and the post player has all but disappeared in the NBA.

Good luck to him.
"Young man, you have the question backwards."

-- Bill Russell, after a reporter asked him how he would have fared against Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
While I appreciate Collins' professionalism and all-around good character, he probably shouldn't even be in the league at this point.  He can't score, rebound, or block shots, and he's basically in the league because he's a 7-footer with a pulse.  I really didn't like that Danny signed him in the off-season, and I'm very excited that he's gone.  We should use his roster spot for a young big (at least 6'10) who can block shots and rebound.  Whether the aforementioned player comes from the D-League or via a buyout, he will be better and bring more to the table than Collins.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I never bought into the enmity many Celtics fans had for Collins.  He was signed to a vetmin deal as a third center and foul taker who would be useful body-ing up some of the bigger centers, like D-Ho, Bynum and Hibbert.

I didn't expect him to score at all or rebound well. I enjoyed watching how well he played the position game defensively.  Put his experience and basketball smarts in someone like JaVale McGee, and he's be a max player and top defensive center. 

If he's out there next summer, I wouldn't be averse to Danny giving him another vetmin deal for a year.     

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
If he's out there next summer, I wouldn't be averse to Danny giving him another vetmin deal for a year.     

Same here. He's just a good presence.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]