Author Topic: That's it? Seriously?  (Read 6192 times)

That's it? Seriously?
« on: February 21, 2013, 04:45:04 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
Call me panicky and a guy who overreacts, but this trade deadline is a complete and utter failure.. No big man added, no big trades made, not much effort put in to make a playoff worthy team.. When we are already paper thin, Ainge trades 2 guys (1 of them a big) for a guy who will not see much playing time.. I'm sorry, but how are we better? Okay, we signed T-Will and Crawford, but we aren't more deeper.. Plus, we are down to very few big men.. An old KG who can't play many mins, Wilcox who is in Docs doghouse and a guy who has no clue what to do on the court.. And by giving up on Barbosa while injured we probably deprived ourselves of the chance of ever resigning him..
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

Re: That's it? Seriously?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
To get good players you gotta give up good players. And we don't really have the assets.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
"Sometimes, the best plan of action is no plan of action"
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
not much effort put in to make a playoff worthy team

What is this based upon?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Call me panicky and a guy who overreacts, but this trade deadline is a complete and utter failure.. No big man added, no big trades made, not much effort put in to make a playoff worthy team.. When we are already paper thin, Ainge trades 2 guys (1 of them a big) for a guy who will not see much playing time.. I'm sorry, but how are we better? Okay, we signed T-Will and Crawford, but we aren't more deeper.. Plus, we are down to very few big men.. An old KG who can't play many mins, Wilcox who is in Docs doghouse and a guy who has no clue what to do on the court.. And by giving up on Barbosa while injured we probably deprived ourselves of the chance of ever resigning him..

The red comments are the ones I disagree with.

I have no doubt Danny worked the phones pretty hard today to improve the team.

Crawford will get PT. He's one of only four healthy guards on the roster, and provides needed scoring.

Buyout candidates are coming, and the Celtics cleared a little more room for a free agent signing.

And I'm pretty sure Ainge would have gauged Barbosa's feelings about a return even if he ended up traded at the deadline.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 04:49:50 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
"Sometimes, the best plan of action is no plan of action"

Yeah, that's not the case here.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 04:49:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

What is this based upon?
Apparently based on our failure to procure a franchise player for a package headlined by Courtney Lee and Brandon Bass.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 04:50:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Were you that desperate to trade KG for Eric Blesoe? ... Really that anxious to give up Pierce for Kris Humphries?    Disappointed nobody wanted to give up an elite big man for a pu pu platter of Avery Bradley, Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger and Fab Melo?   What would you have done differently?

If I'm the GM of another team, I don't give up an elite big for what the Celtics were offering.  If I traded Marcin Gortat for a 3rd string big like Brandon Bass and a one-dimensional backup point guard like Avery Bradley, I'd be fired.  It is what it is.  Fans always overrated their players and buy into the message board perception of trade value.  If we could have done better, Ainge would have done it. 

Instead, we filled a need... a replacement for Barbosa.   Crawford is a poor man's Barbosa... he should fit in well with what the Celtics were doing during their post-Rondo win streak.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Apparently based on our failure to procure a franchise player for a package headlined by Courtney Lee and Brandon Bass.
I see what you just did there.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

What is this based upon?

It's already a playoff worthy team  ::)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.

I would like to remind you of every other trade deadline since 08. How could anyone surely expect something different? The biggest trade was perk for green. And that's it, really. We're bargain basement hunters, not wheelers and dealers.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:06 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Nothing out there made sense. The Amnesty Clause eliminated so many big expiring deals for teams to use to match salaries.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
What would you have him do? I don't think LA would take Howard for Melo. Or Miami would take James for Pierce.

Pick up what we can from buyouts or whatever can be found. What do people think would happen?
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Were you that desperate to trade KG for Eric Blesoe? ... Really that anxious to give up Pierce for Kris Humphries?    Disappointed nobody wanted to give up an elite big man for a pu pu platter of Avery Bradley, Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger and Fab Melo?   What would you have done differently?

If I'm the GM of another team, I don't give up an elite big for what the Celtics were offering.  If I traded Marcin Gortat for a 3rd string big like Brandon Bass and a one-dimensional backup point guard like Avery Bradley, I'd be fired.  It is what it is.  Fans always overrated their players and buy into the message board perception of trade value.  If we could have done better, Ainge would have done it. 

Instead, we filled a need... a replacement for Barbosa.   Crawford is a poor man's Barbosa... he should fit in well with what the Celtics were doing during their post-Rondo win streak.

I agree with your general point, but if I was the Suns GM I would gladly trade Gortat for Bradley+Sullinger/Bass and filler. Especially being in rebuilding mode.

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 04:53:03 PM »

Offline Bombastic Jones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53

What is this based upon?

Exactly.  Not that it is a definitive measure, but I was happy with all the twitter rumors that included the Celtics, to me it showed we were one of the most active teams.  I am disappointed too, but we really didn't have great assets for Ainge to improve the team.  Look at the rest of the league, who did better?  Only a couple of teams in my opinion.

It is arguable that losing Collins hurts more than taking a flyer on Crawford, but I am going to wait until we see who we end up adding for a big.