Author Topic: Crawford to Celtics  (Read 16467 times)

Re: Crawford to Celtics?
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2013, 07:55:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I also think a lot of the frustration about Crawford is because people got caught up with unrealistic trade rumors that were never going to happen.  And when they didn't, people are disappointed that the reality didn't match the fantasy.

While I generally agree with the Yay Points thesis put forward at Wages of Win, just think about where Crawford ranks in ppg among players traded at or near the deadline.  So, Ainge probably did more to address his team's needs (and the team has needs for depth at all positions) than most GMs without giving away anything significant.

The best case scenario is that Crawford plays well enough and with a good attitude in a bench role so that he becomes a trade asset as other teams think that his problem was mainly being in a dysfunctional Wizards environment.  The worst case scenario is that Crawford plays well enough to get a big contract with the Celtics that he then fails to earn in Blount-like fashion.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2013, 07:55:33 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I wonder who will get more minutes between him and Williams.

« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2013, 08:17:15 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Can we get Barbosa back next season?
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2013, 08:23:44 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Didnt realize Crawford averaged 16 pts a game his 2nd year in the league, and averages 13.4 as a career average. He probably won't get the same shot opportunities here but if he takes smart shots and plays well with the bench unit he could average double digits for us.

He was also the Wiz pg when Wall was out

« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Depends on the team's next injury.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2013, 08:52:19 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Can we get Barbosa back next season?

He will be a FA, yes! I bet if we have the money he wants (we will cuz all he'll get is vet min after this injury) and he's healthy, we do it no brainer, assuming he wants to be back! It's like what we did with Quis.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2013, 09:06:15 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
As far as value goes, this trade was a steal.  We gave up a guy who's out for the year and a guy who shouldn't be in the league anymore in exchange for a young prospect on a rookie deal.  Are you kidding me?

As far as talent, I'm not a fan.  Crawford can certainly put the ball in the basket, but he's rather inefficient.  His defense is pretty poor, too, and he's not a spectacular athlete either.  However, this move does shore up our backcourt rotation, so we at least have a passable ten-man rotation of:

Bradley Terry
Lee Crawford
Pierce Williams
Bass Green
Garnett Wilcox

Yes, for the time being, Jeff will be playing PF a lot.

Overall, don't love the trade, but Danny did a great job of unloading dead weight (well, maybe it would have been nice to still have Collins) for cheap talent.

Certainly not the lineup that we all envisioned; but not bad given the circumstances. The lineups above are way undersized, but all of these guys can play multiple positions and a big man could solve that pretty quick.

« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2013, 09:25:17 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Haha!  I just realized Jordan Crawford is the kid from back when that dunked over LeBron in that Nike camp video that LeBron tried to cover up.

« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2013, 09:25:46 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Haha!  I just realized Jordan Crawford is the kid from back when that dunked over LeBron in that Nike camp video that LeBron tried to cover up.

Essentially his only highlight ;D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2013, 09:34:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Essentially his only highlight ;D

I remember picking him up for my fantasy team late in his rookie season.  He went on a hot streak where he averaged close to 20 points per night.  (He was a pretty spotty shooter, though.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2013, 10:03:44 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Is Williams on a 10 day? If do I wouldn't be surprised if he is cut.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2013, 10:39:20 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
He's been an inefficient scorer, but to get a guy who can score 13 ppg in 26 minutes over his career for peanuts is a chance worth taking.

On the bright side, his shooting percentage has been slowly trending upward, on a garbage squad.  On a more tightly controlled team, I hope he becomes a more efficient scorer.

Compared to Jason Terry this season, in two less mpg, he's scoring 3 more ppg, and one more rebound and assist, while shooting worse from the field and from three. JC should benefit from playing with better shooters here in Boston, and if he makes it until next year, will benefit from playing with a good set up man in Rondo. 

Small move, but could be a great move by Ainge.  At a minimum, the Cs will be more entertaining this year, good and bad.   

« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2013, 10:45:04 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Yeah but do you see him getting 26 mpg here? I don't he wont be starting over Clee and he only has so much time to learn the system. I hope i am wrong but i see him topping out around 8-9 ppg and around 18 mpg. But we'll see. I hope this kid turns out to just be a pure scorer that we need badly.

« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2013, 10:46:11 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Is Williams on a 10 day? If do I wouldn't be surprised if he is cut.
Yes I believe he is on a 10-day so expect Doc to play him this coming week.

« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2013, 11:31:19 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Yeah but do you see him getting 26 mpg here? I don't he wont be starting over Clee and he only has so much time to learn the system. I hope i am wrong but i see him topping out around 8-9 ppg and around 18 mpg. But we'll see. I hope this kid turns out to just be a pure scorer that we need badly.

If you can score a point every two minutes, there's a place for you somewhere in the NBA.  If the Cs can get 9 points out of JC in 18 minutes, they will be thrilled.