Author Topic: Jason Collins  (Read 3228 times)

Re: Jason Collins
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 09:23:06 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Much respect to Jason Collins.

He was a true professional with a great locker room influence. I'm sure many of our players learned a lot from him, since he gave his all every night. He was ready when called to start, not afraid to take hard hits, and made pivotal plays in a few games. Fans should appreciate players like him more. I think he totally lived up to his contract. Thanks for everything.

We will miss you!
Jedi mind tricks don't work on me. Only rings and stats.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:48:52 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 09:26:19 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I won't miss him one bit.

7 footer avg 1.2 ppg 1.6 rpg and shot 34%

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 09:31:02 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Was he signed for more than that? No.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 09:35:11 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
"yason, yason, yason, you go ober dere"

Leandro "the blur" Barbosa   
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 09:35:20 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

I don't see where I said anything about what he was signed for. Doesn't change the fact that he was a scrub and I won't miss him lol

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 09:36:56 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

I don't see where I said anything about what he was signed for. Doesn't change the fact that he was a scrub and I won't miss him lol

We didn't sign him for rebounds or points. We signed him for defense, so I don't see why you would bring his points or FG% up. That's all superlative, and really: 23 FGAs is, for all intensive purposes, negligible.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 09:43:30 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Good riddance dude. Nice guy. Wish him luck elsewhere. He might be a savvy veteran, but man is he a terrible basketball player talent wise.

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 09:45:54 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38

We didn't sign him for rebounds or points. We signed him for defense, so I don't see why you would bring his points or FG% up. That's all superlative, and really: 23 FGAs is, for all intensive purposes, negligible.

I fully understand why we signed Collins, but a 7-footer shouldn't shoot 34% from the field.  Like I alluded to earlier, Jason Collins doesn't belong in the NBA anymore. Your gold-membership to the Jason Collins fanclub has been duly noted.

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 09:47:40 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

His defensive rating is 104, so he's not really lighting the world on fire with his defense. Defense is also pointless if you are 7 feet and cant grab the rebound to finish off the possession.

Throw in the fact he is useless on offense which makes us play 4 on 5, he really had no impact on our team. Which leads me to my first point, he is a scrub, so I will not miss him.

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 09:48:36 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

I fully understand why we signed Collins, but a 7-footer shouldn't shoot 34% from the field.  Like I alluded to earlier, Jason Collins doesn't belong in the NBA anymore. Your gold-membership to the Jason Collins fanclub has been duly noted.

^_^ He really doesn't belong in the NBA anymore. But he never really did in the first place. His defense isn't superb but he can set screens, give hard fouls and worst-comes-to-worse, just stand there and get a OffReb every so often. He's good for 5-10 minutes, whatever ;D

But even the worst 7-footers make millions in the NBA, so chances are: somebody is gonna sign him again.

It was his strong showing against KG that played a factor. And hey, without Collins we wouldn't have ever gotten Crawford. Just like without Sean Williams, we never would've gotten Courtney.

It's all for some purpose. :-O
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 01:56:25 AM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
Collins was there for his off-the-court and practice presence.

With Darko, Sullinger, Green, Bass, and KG, Collins was meant to be the sixth big.

He ended up having to play 10 MPG instead of 3-5 MPG because of injuries and Darko leaving.

"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 02:02:57 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I thank Jason Collins for his service as a Celtic and wish him the best in his future endeavors. 

Hopefully, Washington keeps him around.  He'd be a nice veteran presence in that young locker room. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 03:20:21 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think people are being a little hard on Collins.

You need to understand that we basically signed him to be an end-of-bench guy to pretty much play garbage minutes (or as an emergency backup in case of injuries).

Wilcox was always expected to be our main backup at the center spot.

At the end of the day Collins isn't a superstar player, but he doesn't claim to be.  As Doc always says he is a veteran presense with good basketball IQ who always knows the rotations and where he needs to be on the court.  He has a good attitude and he always gives 100% effort on the court without question.

Doc brought him in to give the team a little toughness and size, to be able to pick up some fouls to stop a few baskets, to set good screens, and to occasionally play some solid defense.   I think he's filled that role to perfection.

Good guy and a true professional regardless of his talent levels.  It's a little sad to see him go to a team like Washington (I'd like to see him somewhere where he has a chance at a ring) but he seems like the type of guy who will go anywhere without complaining.

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
I'm not sad at all. Dude is rich and probably won't have to play at all to get his money from the Wizards.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 03:38:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Good news though - Jarron Collins is available!  It'll be like Jason never left.  We'll just call him JC and pretend all the hurt away...