Author Topic: SI Article on Rondo Coming This Week  (Read 10717 times)

SI Article on Rondo Coming This Week
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:08:04 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Heard some previews + interview with the author on Sports Hub yesterday (Adam Jones).

As an aside, the Hub is awful when it comes to Celtics/NBA talk: hosts don't know roster rules, don't know our players, and don't know NBA players in general.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Re: SI Article on Rondo Coming This Week
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 11:18:09 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

As an aside, the Hub is awful when it comes to Celtics/NBA talk: hosts don't know roster rules, don't know our players, and don't know NBA players in general.

This applies to all of the popular Boston sports media I hear. It's embarrassing, as this is their job.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:12:04 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:48:11 AM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:49:31 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Love this:

Rondo watches Celtics replays at 2 a.m., and texts Garnett at 4 a.m. KG often responds.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I can't wait for him to be back on the court!

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Ugh. More "Rondo is tough" propaganda. This card has been played ad nauseam by now.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 12:08:21 PM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
Ugh. More "Rondo is tough" propaganda. This card has been played ad nauseam by now.

He's not?

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
Thanks for this.  Wow what a fascinating read.  He is just the most interesting player.

What is your deal?

He played on a torn ACL.  He played with a dislocated elbow.  I think we know he is tough.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Thanks for this.  Wow what a fascinating read.  He is just the most interesting player.

What is your deal?

He played on a torn ACL.  He played with a dislocated elbow.  I think we know he is tough.

No kidding. Anyone who can play through a dislocated elbow is tough. He's had a fair amount of injuries that caused him to miss games in the past, I can't think of one where he didn't either stay in the game when he sustained the injury or go back into the game after receiving treatment.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

What is your deal?

Sure. So is Pierce. Guy plays through injuries every season and yet we're not subjected to these year-in, year-out "Pierce is a warrior" articles. He doesn't hang his hat on that kind of bravado, and I appreciate that.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard

What is your deal?

He doesn't hang his hat on that kind of bravado, and I appreciate that.

And Rondo does? The media creates the narrative and Rondo hates the media.

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Question about this one:

Rondo doesn’t glad-hand anybody but claims to be 7 for 8 as a recruiter, selling targets on the benefits of Doc Rivers and a pure point guard.

Who is the one that got away?  David West?

Who are the 7 that came in?  Maybe:

Terry
Lee
Shaq
Sheed
Wilcox
Pietrus
Jermaine

Just thinking out loud about that one, never really pictured Rondo as much of a recruiter (and some of those guys didn't really have many suitors, so maybe there are others I'm not thinking of, or maybe Rondo is just being Rondo lol). But if he's reaching out to free agents trying to convince them to sign, I like it.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 12:26:06 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

What is your deal?

Sure. So is Pierce. Guy plays through injuries every season and yet we're not subjected to these year-in, year-out "Pierce is a warrior" articles. He doesn't hang his hat on that kind of bravado, and I appreciate that.

When have you seen Pierce's arm bent completely the wrong way or has he torn his ACL and then played on it?

Maybe we hear about how tough Rondo is because he is tough?  Pierce is tough too. But why try to cut down Rondo?  It's a tired act.