Author Topic: Is it time to admit Rondo meant so much to this team?  (Read 9751 times)

Re: Is it time to admit Rondo meant so much to this team?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 11:32:24 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The Denver game might have been winnable with Rondo.

Last night we needed Sullenger's input to rebound and limit the second chance stuff.

Dwight Howard, Earl Clark, and Antwan Jamison imposed their will on us inside. Rondo might have clamped in for steals maybe.

You start Wilcox alongside KG against the Lakers, and I think the outcome would've been more favorable, particularly since you don't waste KG's energy on Howard unnecessarily.

But Doc opted to go with Bass, hell he even thought that going small with Bass at the 5 guarding Howard was a brilliant idea.

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 11:32:40 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Rondo's game is penetration and that's what we needed last night

Is it really? And I pose that question to both of your statements.

I don't think anyone really thought we were a better team by simply upcoming him out of the lineup. But with the 4 guards we had when Barbosa was healthy, we created a new system (one in which our defenders continually tried to keep their man in front of them and on offense there were threats everywhere on the floor).

I think Rondo is a very good player. I don't think he is a franchise player. I especially don't think he is a good fit for this team. And I think 29 GM's in this league know this.
Co-sign the above.

It continues to disturb me how many people are more worried about Rondo than the franchise in general.

Rondo is a good player. He is not a great player, because he's a ball-stopper and an ambivalent defender. He's not remotely the foundation of any rebuild Ainge might decide to launch, today, in the off-season or otherwise.

The beauty of basketball is that it's a team game. As an old-timer, I guess, it makes me sad to see people dwell on one player, especially on a Celtics franchise whose tradition has been built on the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

JMO.

I, like you, appreciate team basketball.  I also recognize that if you want to be a contender in this league, you need to have elite level talent on your ball club.  Rondo is an elite level talent, and I do think that he  is a primary part of the foundation for this team's rebuild. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 11:37:34 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
But guys...were we winning with Rondo? lol

Yall make it seem like we didn't go on our 6 game win streak with Rondo right at home.
Yall make it seem like we were 30-10 before Rondo went down.

I like the guy but I think as he's gone, we seem to make his skill set fantastical.

Let me put it like that. Sometimes when I get to missing someone, I remember all our fun and good times. Then I hang out with them and I remember how annoying and worrisome they are. Same difference. Things we do as humans.

How would Rondo have helped against Lakers?
Maybe against the Nuggets. I think we were in close enough striking distance for that.

But last night? Against the Lakers? who we couldn't defend and get a rebound against? how does he help?

How does losing an All Star level talent not hurt your team?  There is nothing "fantastical" about it, it's plain to see what he can do and what we are missing.

How does having more talent not help against any team?

I swear, some people just have the shortest memories.  If we can't get that less talent makes your team worse I just don't know what we are talking about anymore.

You can't take a long view in your talk about our record and then say we are better after a 6 game winning streak.  The two statements don't jive. Remember when we went on a 6 game winning streak and then a 6 game losing streak?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 11:39:55 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Yall make it seem like we didn't go on our 6 game win streak with Rondo right at home.

I like the guy but I think as he's gone, we seem to make his skill set fantastical.

Let me put it like that. Sometimes when I get to missing someone, I remember all our fun and good times. Then I hang out with them and I remember how annoying and worrisome they are. Same difference. Things we do as humans.

Maybe against the Nuggets. I think we were in close enough striking distance for that.

But last night? Against the Lakers? who we couldn't defend and get a rebound against? how does he help?

How does losing an All Star level talent not hurt your team?  There is nothing "fantastical" about it, it's plain to see what he can do and what we are missing.

I swear, some people just have the shortest memories.  If we can't get that less talent makes your team worse I just don't know what we are talking about anymore.

The talent has been poorly applied this season.

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 11:40:03 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Of course Rondo would have helped last night.  We had no one to punish Nash's defense, no one to get dribble penetration.  Howard's presence took away much of KG's post looks, so our offense was basically pull-up jumpers.

Rondo wouldn't have added much defensively (our defensive problems were Lee getting worked by Kobe, Nash breaking free on the pick and roll, and our rebounding achilles heel flairing up something fierce). 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 11:41:07 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

There is no question.  Our record shows this.  But the team is in no way better without him.

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

There is no question.  Our record shows this.  But the team is in no way better without him.

I agree, but I think there's some truth that a team can play better without his star player... which is helped when you have players like KG still on your roster, and plenty of skillful players behind the star player who went down.

The thing is that I believe we should've been playing this brand of basketball since the beginning, and Rondo is fully capable of doing it. In fact, excelling at it, but it wasn't happening for some reason.

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 11:45:21 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

You can't take a long view in your talk about our record and then say we are better after a 6 game winning streak.  The two statements don't jive. Remember when we went on a 6 game winning streak and then a 6 game losing streak?

time out.
my point, as I continue to say, is I don't think Rondo would've made a difference last night...in other games, sure? I think even against Denver, he would've helped.
The way in which we lost last night had 0 to do with having Rondo in my opinion.

also, don't sign me up on that 'plain' to see thing. best difference I've seen so far minus Rondo is the fun passes. oh the ball handling, but Rondo makes idiotic turnovers, too. and I think Jet and Jeff are kind of better handlers than we give them credit for. But at the same time, we don't have a back up PG.

Rondo is great. Record breaking. Cute passes. But his whole 'turn it on or turn it off' game is not cool with me. What I do like about this group is they (seem) to be on every night. I think we still had some fight last night. but something was off.

that's not to say the lakers couldn't have been playing extremely hard for dr. buss and we just happened to be on the other end of that...so there's that as well.

Rondo is a great PG. I like the way we've played minus him (up to this point -- it seems like Doc is trying to hard to reincarnate him, which I was scared of). I'm hoping when he returns, we can continue to do the ball movement thing.

but...we need some rebounding BIGS. THAT would'ved help against Lakers AND Denver.

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 11:50:49 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

time out.
my point, as I continue to say, is I don't think Rondo would've made a difference last night...in other games, sure? I think even against Denver, he would've helped.
The way in which we lost last night had 0 to do with having Rondo in my opinion.

also, don't sign me up on that 'plain' to see thing. best difference I've seen so far minus Rondo is the fun passes. oh the ball handling, but Rondo makes idiotic turnovers, too. and I think Jet and Jeff are kind of better handlers than we give them credit for. But at the same time, we don't have a back up PG.

Rondo is great. Record breaking. Cute passes. But his whole 'turn it on or turn it off' game is not cool with me. What I do like about this group is they (seem) to be on every night. I think we still had some fight last night. but something was off.

that's not to say the lakers couldn't have been playing extremely hard for dr. buss and we just happened to be on the other end of that...so there's that as well.

Rondo is a great PG. I like the way we've played minus him (up to this point -- it seems like Doc is trying to hard to reincarnate him, which I was scared of). I'm hoping when he returns, we can continue to do the ball movement thing.

but...we need some rebounding BIGS. THAT would'ved help against Lakers AND Denver.

I don't get some of your Rondo criticisms.  But anyways, with more talent you can win any game.  Notice the Celtics have been getting outrebounded for the last few seasons very consistently yet have had plenty of success.

Anyways, sure, I wish we had Sullinger and better rebounding bigs.  I would love that.  But basically blaming Rondo for that doesn't make sense.

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Yeah we won with rondo.
You act like you never watched previous seasons, there's more hope with rondo then without sorry

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

time out.

I don't get some of your Rondo criticisms.  But anyways, with more talent you can win any game.  Notice the Celtics have been getting outrebounded for the last few seasons very consistently yet have had plenty of success.

Anyways, sure, I wish we had Sullinger and better rebounding bigs.  I would love that.  But basically blaming Rondo for that doesn't make sense.

I'm not blaming Rondo for that lol
I do blame Rondo for not pushing the ball up, typically looking of Jeff and Jet, passing lots to KG and PP, and passing up layups.
So that...

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 11:57:48 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

time out.

I do blame Rondo for not pushing the ball up, typically looking of Jeff and Jet, passing lots to KG and PP, and passing up layups.
So that...

So you're saying these issues outweigh the positive contributions he brings to the team?

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 11:58:54 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The fact that Steve Nash's defense is very poor would have been a target to exploit if Rondo was playing.

He'll be able to draw Dwight Howard to commit on help defense allowing him to be out of rebounding position most of the time. Those offensive rebounds would have been less.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

time out.

So that...

So you're saying these issues outweigh the positive contributions he brings to the team?

clarify what you mean when you say positive contributions. like what?

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 12:02:07 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

time out.

So that...

clarify what you mean when you say positive contributions. like what?

Being one of the best PGs in the league?  Playing at an All Star level?  Being the only player on our team that consistently has attacked the basket all season?

Is this a serious question?