Author Topic: The most boring trade deadline ever?  (Read 3073 times)

The most boring trade deadline ever?
« on: February 21, 2013, 10:07:01 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I mean seriously... I feel like every year at least something semi major happens in days leading up to the trade deadline... This year we've got a Rudy trade and a minor deal involving rookies and young role players. After all the rumor checking I've done and we've got nothing so far?!

Anyone think the deadline will pass with absolutely nothing happening? Or will things blow up between noon and 3?

Something happen this is driving me crazy!!

Re: The most boring trade deadline ever?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 10:09:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
So far it's been very boring.

But last year I was convinced there'd be more exciting stuff happening, at least with the Celtics, and nothing happened.  So I'm kind of expecting -- though dreading -- the deadline passing with nothing happening for the Cs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:11:57 AM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
I feel like in the days heading up to the deadline people just gauge value to see what they can get for the assets that are possessed. I feel like it's just a bunch of hot air though.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It has the potential to be.  I still think we could see things absolutely explode in the next 4-5 hours, but so far it seems like teams just can't find what they want.

I think what we may be seeing is the effect of the new luxury tax.  The teams over the tax just want to shed salary, and the teams under the tax are asking for the moon to save these guys money, and there is just a stalemate. 

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I think that it will blow up 2-3 hours before the deadline.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It has the potential to be.  I still think we could see things absolutely explode in the next 4-5 hours, but so far it seems like teams just can't find what they want.

I think what we may be seeing is the effect of the new luxury tax.  The teams over the tax just want to shed salary, and the teams under the tax are asking for the moon to save these guys money, and there is just a stalemate.

Yep.  The new CBA seems to be killing player movement via trades.  Which is frustrating.  Ideally the CBA should incentivize players to stay with their own teams in free agency but make it easier for teams to swap players in trades.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 10:22:08 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Yep.  The new CBA seems to be killing player movement via trades.  Which is frustrating.  Ideally the CBA should incentivize players to stay with their own teams in free agency but make it easier for teams to swap players in trades.

Definitely a stalemate. Looks like teams are just waiting for the first domino to drop. If that happens we might see a bunch of moves but I bet everyone is going to just stand pat and ride things out.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:22:58 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I don't know, I feel like there's a lot of things that could happen, making it exciting.

What will happen with Josh Smith?
Will the Celtics trade anybody?
Will the Lakers trade anybody?

Will minor stars like Al Jefferson, Paul Milsap, Ben Gordon, Brandon Jennings, Monta Ellis, Eric Gordon, etc. be moved?

I think there's a lot of interesting things going on.  I don't feel bored at all with this.

A list of trade deadline deals from '87 to '08.  There's a lot of boring years in there where nothing significant happened (though it doesn't include trades a day or two before the deadline, so maybe there was more exciting stuff happening):
http://www.nba.com/history/deadline_deals.html

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 10:25:07 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Woj is basically saying Smith is going to the Bucks. I see disaster written all over that.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 10:31:54 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
Boring? Yea in general but I'm just happy when Pierce and Garnett are still in green in 4,5 hours from now!!!

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 10:39:55 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Woj is basically saying Smith is going to the Bucks. I see disaster written all over that.

I cant see him staying there at all.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 10:42:45 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I do think this is temporary though.  I just think the GMs and owners haven't completely recalibrated yet, since the new tax kicks in next season.  I think next year, the market will reset itself, as teams realize what the real value of players and cap space are in this new world.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Woj saying Boston still a "dark horse" for Smith.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 11:27:36 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Dear Santa,

Please let us trade Bass, Lee and Melo for Josh Smith and then sign him to a reasonable extension. I will eat all my vegetables, do my own laundry for a year, and be nice to my mommy and daddy and cut my Christmas list in half next Winter.

Love,
Tyler

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 11:34:07 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!

Dear Santa,

Please let us trade Bass, Lee and Melo for Josh Smith and then sign him to a reasonable extension. I will eat all my vegetables, do my own laundry for a year, and be nice to my mommy and daddy and cut my Christmas list in half next Winter.

Love,
Tyler

TP
That's the trade everyone would love to go down.