Author Topic: Marc Stein's latest on Smith  (Read 7311 times)

Re: Marc Stein's latest on Smith
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 09:31:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd do this on a heartbeat.
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=bjhu9do

Any move that makes Josh Smith the best player on the Celtics in the near future is bad.

Garnett is the best player. Enough said.

Now. 

But you have just committed to giving Smith the max deal.  When KG leaves, the Celtics best player is Smith.  Smith and Green.  The Celtics are not even close the the Hawks level.
Yeah trading Rondo for Smith doesn't work, you get a worse player to build around in the end and we aren't favorites because of it.

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Any move that makes Josh Smith the best player on the Celtics in the near future is bad.

Now. 

But you have just committed to giving Smith the max deal.  When KG leaves, the Celtics best player is Smith.  Smith and Green.  The Celtics are not even close the the Hawks level.

He'll be in a 3 year deal by then with plenty of cap room, not that worried about it. That's assuming Ainge and him agree on a 5 year deal, I'd say chances are closer to a 4 year deal.

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 09:36:26 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Now. 

He'll be in a 3 year deal by then with plenty of cap room, not that worried about it. That's assuming Ainge and him agree on a 5 year deal, I'd say chances are closer to a 4 year deal.

It will be a Max deal.  The Celtics just traded away Rondo to get him.  That means the full length deal. 

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 09:39:38 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

How much longer do you expect PP to play (and play at a high level)? At this point in time is it really that much better to trade Green than Pierce?

Pierce at the end of his career is still better the Green.

Green is still a nice player that is making to much money on a team that has to do a major turnover in the near future.

PP is better now but I'm not sure how long that will last for. I'm also somewhat skeptical that just clearing cap space will land us a player better than Smith.

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 09:39:47 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Now. 

Yeah trading Rondo for Smith doesn't work, you get a worse player to build around in the end and we aren't favorites because of it.

I don't imagine a team will ever be "favorites" while LeBron is here, but KG paired up with Smith would be something very special defensively, and I personally think will be a huge addition to get past the Heat... particularly with pairing them up with Bradley and Lee.

Then you add a sharpshooter like Korver, that could be a huge weapon for us. And he's expiring deal, so you'd be pretty much guaranteed full mid level next year, if you don't plan on retaining him.

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 09:40:33 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Now. 

It will be a Max deal.  The Celtics just traded away Rondo to get him.  That means the full length deal.

Huh? One thing doesn't go with the other.

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 09:42:26 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Now. 

Yes it does.

The Celtics trade away Rondo who is considered one of the best if not best player on the Celtics. 

Smith now has the leverage he needs because the Celtics can not let him walk away. 

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 09:44:14 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Now. 

Yes it does.

The Celtics trade away Rondo who is considered one of the best if not best player on the Celtics. 

Smith now has the leverage he needs because the Celtics can not let him walk away.

Other than Smith's interest to compete for a championship, and what the market is willing to offer...

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 09:45:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
You really think you can sell Josh Smith on not demanding a 5th year that it'd somehow help the C's compete for a title?

Rockets will offer max that they can (something around 4 years and 80 right?) So the C's would have to match that at least, and I wouldn't be shocked if he'd threaten to walk to play with Harden if he didn't get the fifth year.

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 09:46:53 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Now. 

Yes it does.

Other than Smith's interest to compete for a championship, and what the market is willing to offer...

There are plenty of foolish GMs out there that will offer him their version of a 4 year max deal. 

This is Smith's big pay day. 

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 09:50:02 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
@KBergCBS: The Rockets, flush with assets, are involved at "high level" in Josh Smith talks, league source says.

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 09:50:08 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
You really think you can sell Josh Smith on not demanding a 5th year that it'd somehow help the C's compete for a title?

No, I say that no one in the league can offer him a 5th year, so Smith should/could agree to stay in Boston if he sees the team being highly competitive while Garnett remains.

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 09:55:29 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Rockets will offer max that they can (something around 4 years and 80 right?) So the C's would have to match that at least, and I wouldn't be shocked if he'd threaten to walk to play with Harden if he didn't get the fifth year.

So you match, but remember Celtics can offer higher raises than them per year. I'm not saying that a fifth year isn't a possibility, but to think that a deal for a 4 year contract is impossible as is being insinuated is simply an inaccurate assessment of the situation, particularly by the apparent aversion from a lot of teams of committing to a max deal for Smith.

Houston indeed is the most worrying, and actually Atlanta themselves could be worrying if they get Rondo... not sure if they'd want Smith back though.

The most likely scenario in my opinion is that Ainge makes a trade if a negotiation for an extension takes place alongside it.

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 09:55:32 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

No, I say that no one in the league can offer him a 5th year, so Smith should/could agree to stay in Boston if he sees the team being highly competitive while Garnett remains.
Other teams can offer him more youth, a similar four year deal, and lesser state taxes. (Houston for example)

5th year is what would allow Boston to keep him, especially with no Rondo.

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 09:56:11 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
@KBergCBS: The Rockets, flush with assets, are involved at "high level" in Josh Smith talks, league source says.

Ugh. I hate-love Daryl Morey.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman