Author Topic: Marc Stein's latest on Smith  (Read 7387 times)

Marc Stein's latest on Smith
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:06:27 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/55049/latest-on-josh-smith-talks

The Atlanta Hawks inched closer to Thursday's 3 p.m. trade deadline more determined than ever to trade Josh Smith, according to sources with knowledge of the Hawks' thinking.

They've still got to find a suitable trade partner, though.

The consistent word circulating in front-office circles late Wednesday was that Atlanta has yet to find a deal it likes for Smith in a down market, despite the determined pursuit of the Brooklyn Nets and consistent (but conditional) interest from Milwaukee and Boston.

The Nets, sources say, will continue Thursday to search for a third team to help facilitate a deal for Smith, since Atlanta has made it clear that it wants no part of Kris Humphries.

Milwaukee would appear to be the most likely destination for Smith entering deadline day, but it remains to seen whether the Bucks will ultimately be willing to part with guard Monta Ellis, whom Atlanta has targeted as the primary player it wants from them.

As for Boston: Including Paul Pierce or Rajon Rondo in any deal with the Hawks is presumed to be the only way for the Celtics to land Smith, which is problematic for the Celts for a number of reasons. Focusing on just two of them: 1) Trading Pierce somewhere he doesn't want to go isn't nearly as easy as it sounds given what PP's stature is in his city and with that franchise; 2) Boston's chances of getting Atlanta's unrestricted free agent-to-be to sign for the long term there would almost certainly be damaged if Rondo, one of Smith's best friends, wasn't still there to team up with him.

Re: Marc Stein's latest on Smith
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:09:30 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Stein has a sound mentality on this; Boston & Atlanta are looking for two different things here. They just don't match up here as trade partners for a number of reasons.  Someone would have to blink and back down to have any trade work.  I just don't see that happening.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I would do Pierce for Smith in a heartbeat.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2013-02-20/nba-trade-rumors-rumor-mill-josh-smith-bucks-rajon-rondo-eric-gordon-celtics

Of Boston’s stars, then, that leaves Paul Pierce as the only prospect for a trade. League sources pin that as a long shot, especially with Garnett staying put. Still, the Celtics are intrigued by the recent play of Jeff Green and the feeling is that he could blossom if he didn’t feel he needed to defer to Pierce. But Pierce remains one of the team’s most popular veterans, and shipping him off without getting full value would be a risky move.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 08:15:49 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
I just wish Smith does not end up in LAL at trade deadline. If that happens, they'll chase a playoffs spot this season and they will be contenders.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 08:24:04 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I know it's not a popular move but I'd trade Pierce for Smith. 

It sure would be interesting to see how KG would react

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 08:27:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the Celtics trade Pierce for Smith, they are going to be committing to overpaying Smith next year.   

That in many ways is one of the worse  case scenarios for a team wanting to retool. 

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 08:28:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If the Celtics trade Pierce for Smith, they are going to be committing to overpaying Smith next year.   

That in many ways is one of the worse  case scenarios for a team wanting to retool.
Yes and no, I guess it depends on how you envision handling Rondo and the rebuild. Do you hollow it out with just Rondo and try the FA market? Do you just use cap space to pick up assets and players, etc...

Paying Josh Smith isn't the worst thing for a team that already has Rondo. Though it does mean you have to be very careful to add shooters elsewhere.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 08:34:16 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Yes and no, I guess it depends on how you envision handling Rondo and the rebuild. Do you hollow it out with just Rondo and try the FA market? Do you just use cap space to pick up assets and players, etc...

Paying Josh Smith isn't the worst thing for a team that already has Rondo. Though it does mean you have to be very careful to add shooters elsewhere.

yea and here's the thing, JOSH SMITH WANTS TO BE HERE!

Whats the point of getting a bunch of cap room if no one wants to come to Boston(cp3, Howard among others)

Doesn't it make sense to get a 26 year old borderline all-star , who actually wants to play here? Fits perfect with Rondo, yes you will need some shooters and a go to man (Jeff Green) to go with them, but we would have our defensive anchor and floor general in Rondo in place .

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 08:35:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

The problem is it is just not Smith and Rondo.

There is also Jeff Green making 9 million.  Bass 6+ million.   

The team would be choked with Rondo and nice players.  We would be looking at a low level playoff team without a good or realistic way to get to the next level.

I would much rather see the Celtics trim the fat of the long term role players so when Pierce and KG do leave, the Celtics have Rondo, some rookie type contracts and cap flexibility.  Sure you make a run at certain FA or guys looking to be traded.  But use that flexibility to start rebuild trade-able assets. 

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:36:36 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

yea and here's the thing, JOSH SMITH WANTS TO BE HERE!

Whats the point of getting a bunch of cap room if no one wants to come to Boston(cp3, Howard among others)

Doesn't it make sense to get a 26 year old borderline all-star , who actually wants to play here? Fits perfect with Rondo, yes you will need some shooters and a go to man (Jeff Green) to go with them, but we would have our defensive anchor and floor general in Rondo in place .

Because he is not a game changer.  He is a nice player.  Rondo and a bunch of nice players equals the Hawks.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

My problem with trading Pierce or Rondo go Smith is that you then lose any negotiating power in the summer.  You basically have to give Smith a max deal, unless he decides on his own to be generous.

You simply can't trade away the best young asset, or the face of the franchise for a rental, and Smith's agent knows that. 

On the other hand, if you trade some combination of Green/Lee/Bass/Sully/Melo/Pick, then I think it gives you a little more room this summer to walk away if Smith holds firm on his demands.  Yeah, you are giving up value for him, but not such critical pieces that the majority of fans would be THAT up in arms about. 

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 08:38:44 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

My problem with trading Pierce or Rondo go Smith is that you then lose any negotiating power in the summer.  You basically have to give Smith a max deal, unless he decides on his own to be generous.

You simply can't trade away the best young asset, or the face of the franchise for a rental, and Smith's agent knows that. 

On the other hand, if you trade some combination of Green/Lee/Bass/Sully/Melo/Pick, then I think it gives you a little more room this summer to walk away if Smith holds firm on his demands.  Yeah, you are giving up value for him, but not such critical pieces that the majority of fans would be THAT up in arms about.

Completely agree.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 08:42:32 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Trading Rondo for Josh Smith is a non-starter for me. No point to it, doesn't make us favorites and you get the less player long term.

I guess I just think that paying Smith what I think he's worth, and max doesn't end up being a big difference in overall dollars and flexibility. Not when you're also paying Rajon Rondo his market rate on his next contract and have our other salary commitments.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 08:45:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Trading Rondo for Josh Smith is a non-starter for me. No point to it, doesn't make us favorites and you get the less player long term.

I guess I just think that paying Smith what I think he's worth, and max doesn't end up being a big difference in overall dollars and flexibility. Not when you're also paying Rajon Rondo his market rate on his next contract and have our other salary commitments.

That's the area of the team I really want Ainge to attack.  Trim one or two of them can be a huge bust for the team in the future.

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 08:47:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

That's the area of the team I really want Ainge to attack.  Trim one or two of them can be a huge bust for the team in the future.
Yeah, but you can do that after you land Smith as needed. Getting the higher end talent is always the hardest part.

I still think that Dons is right and the C's just don't match up with the Hawks as partners. But Danny should absolutely make sure he's still an available option, you never know if the Bucks/Suns get cold feet and Ferry caves for a lesser package.