Author Topic: No Blow Up? Plan B  (Read 1405 times)

No Blow Up? Plan B
« on: February 21, 2013, 01:14:07 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Pierce and KG aren't getting traded tomorrow (and that's seeming more and more likely), this team needs to look to cast off the considerable weight of role players on mid-sized contracts that are currently on the roster.  For a team in "win-now" mode those players made sense and were affordable. 

For a team that won't be contending any time soon, with two stars on their way to retirement and another who will be rehabbing and then working his way back into shape from an injury for the next year or more, such players are no longer affordable. 

They are quite literally a luxury.  They put the Cs in the luxury tax zone, a place nobody can afford to be if they are not a contender these days, due to the repeater tax.

So here's Plan B:

Step 1 --

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=bd7ladg

Terry + Wilcox to Denver

Trade exception (for Terry) + Mozgov to Boston

Step 2 --

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=aersuxe

Bass + Lee + Melo + 1st (top 10 protected) to Phoenix

Gortat + Telfair + Wes Johnson to Boston

I'd look to trade Jeff Green in the right deal, but I think his value is still low right now due to his slow start.

He should continue to pump up his value over the rest of the regular season while playing an increased role on the team, and then he can be shopped around the time of the draft.

Roster for the rest of the season:

Bradley / Telfair
Wes Johnson / T-Will
Pierce / Green
Garnett / Randolph
Gortat / Mozgov / Collins

That's actually not so much worse than what we have now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:20:04 AM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: No Blow Up? Plan B
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 01:18:48 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Wes Johnson could be interesting
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:23:10 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If the goal is to avoid being charged the repeater tax in the future, the Celtics don't need to rush to dump salary now.  The repeater rate doesn't occur until 2015-2016, so if the Celtics stay clear of the luxury tax the next two seasons, they'll be okay.

The Celtics get less long-term value by making a panic move to try and make a trade now.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 01:26:17 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
If the goal is to avoid being charged the repeater tax in the future, the Celtics don't need to rush to dump salary now.  The repeater rate doesn't occur until 2015-2016, so if the Celtics stay clear of the luxury tax the next two seasons, they'll be okay.

The Celtics get less long-term value by making a panic move to try and make a trade now.

It's not just about the repeater tax penalty.  It's about having salary cap flexibility going into this summer and beyond.

I think at least in Terry's case that there will never be a better time to trade him than now.  Send him to some playoff team that can use him for the stretch run and has an expiring or two to exchange for him.  Maybe get a 2nd round pick.  Terry is old and he's only going to get worse.

Having the ability to resign the expirings we trade for, or alternatively to sign other guys who better fit a rebuild (cheaper, perhaps some upside), or use cap space to acquire pieces through trade, is really valuable.  Much better than having all of these win-now players on the roster.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 01:34:55 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The best time to trade Terry is in 2014 when he becomes an expiring contract.  The Celtics will have some salary cap flexibility starting in the summer of 2014, when Terry and Bass both have a year left on their deals.

It is stupid to send out potentially useful assets, such as Melo or draft picks to dump contracts that aren't even that huge.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 02:02:17 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The best time to trade Terry is in 2014 when he becomes an expiring contract.  The Celtics will have some salary cap flexibility starting in the summer of 2014, when Terry and Bass both have a year left on their deals.

It is stupid to send out potentially useful assets, such as Melo or draft picks to dump contracts that aren't even that huge.

Usually I'd agree, but we'd also be getting Gortat, so that's worth the pick and Melo.
- Mark Twain