Author Topic: The "blow up the team" merged thread  (Read 9139 times)

Re: The "blow up the team" merged thread
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 01:50:33 AM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
I don't get the value argument?  Isn't something better than nothing?  The only reason danny is keeping these guys is to keep pretending they have a chance to sell tickets to suckers and nostalgia.

It's called pride, respect, and patience. There's no guarantee that acquiring "young assets" will be the more ideal option.

Come on,  none of those are tangible qualities in the NBA buisness. Having any young asset gets you back faster to where I think we want to be.  It should have happened last offseason.  And it will probably end up costing Ainge his job.

There are no real tangible qualities in the NBA business. It's mostly luck and timing. For all we know, they retire, we sign a big name free agent with the new money, and bam, no one cares about trades that didn't happen. There's too many variables to be so sure.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 01:50:47 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I don't understand why ainge or anyone else for that matter thinks it's a good idea to stand pat?!
I agree.  And since there is really no way to upgrade, then there is only one way to go.

You don't just trade to trade.

But Bledsoe and Jordan for KG. Pierce for Smith. You have to do that. I guarantee you Ainge will have this team in contention within two seasons if these moves are made.

Rondo, Green, and Smith are a nice trio in two years in the East. Not to mention young players like Bledsoe, Jordan, Sully. Melo, and Bradley could all be very good players some of which turned into a great player.
Just depends on what you're trying to do.  I might consider trading for expiring contracts and late picks just to shed salary.  Those proposed trades sound good but the pierce for smith one doesn't sound realistic.  Why would ATL do that?

A couple reasons.

One you might sweeten it by also taking back Deshawn's Stevenson's 3 year deal at 2.5 mill per. This frees up long term money for Atlanta. Maybe you add a Fab Melo.

Two flexibility. You can have a Paul Pierce that still helps you get into the playoffs this season and thus you sell playoff tickets (straight profit for the organization), and you can decide to keep him a year if Dwight opts in with LA or chooses another destination. Thus you stay close to the Salary cap floor with a 16 million dollar expiring contract. Also you can buy him out and you aren't taking on too much money by doing so if in the trade Stevenson was moved. They cancel one another out.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 01:51:06 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
I don't get the value argument?  Isn't something better than nothing?  The only reason danny is keeping these guys is to keep pretending they have a chance to sell tickets to suckers and nostalgia.

It's called pride, respect, and patience. There's no guarantee that acquiring "young assets" will be the more ideal option.

Come on,  none of those are tangible qualities in the NBA buisness. Having any young asset gets you back faster to where I think we want to be.  It should have happened last offseason.  And it will probably end up costing Ainge his job.

Are you implying that we should just tank the rest of the season?
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 01:53:45 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
ainge screwed up putting this team together.  he thought that if nothing else,  he could trade these guys for assets.    apparently, he cannot, and is stuck with overpaid role players and ageing stars.  he was fooled by last years playoff run like most of the fan base.

I am afraid this to be the case as well. It's been nice to see the emergence of Lee and Bradley during this stretch, but when you get waxed by the Lakers, it's time to rethink your strategy.

In fairness Jerry Buss deserves a lot of credit for the win. They came out with emotion that we were unable and unwilling to match.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 01:54:55 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

There are no real tangible qualities in the NBA business. It's mostly luck and timing. For all we know, they retire, we sign a big name free agent with the new money, and bam, no one cares about trades that didn't happen. There's too many variables to be so sure.

the celtics have never signed a big free agent.  right?

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 01:58:32 AM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.

the celtics have never signed a big free agent.  right?

My point is, too many things can happen. In the NBA, one injury can mess up, or even save a franchise for years to come. People need to stop trying to predict the future, and just enjoy what we have at the moment, one way or another. Celtic Pride.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 01:58:46 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

I'm saying the goal of the boston celtics is to win a championship.  What Ainge has done by putting this team together for another "run" set them back at least a year.  Getting the 6th spot in the playoffs right now is more for revenue than winning.

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 02:19:10 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Really? Ok I guess you like 500 and no future. Not me, why wouldn't you get pieces for your aging stars???

Nobody will offer up to their true values, pointless. No need to trade just for the sake of it.

I would take  that Clippers deal in a heart beat even if it's just Bledsoe or Jordan they are young pieces you need to acquire. This is it for Ainge if he is going to get anything  back for these guys the time is now. He holds on to them he will get nothing next year.
It's better to not do a deal, than do a bad one. These are not good deals that teams are pitching us.

What we want if we're blowing things up are young players with upside, expiring contracts, and picks.  The Clippers are offering a bad contract in Jordan who with 5 years in the NBA may not have much upside and a young player in Bledsoe with upside who has only one year left on his rookie contract. The Nets are offering us (and everyone else) a worse contract in Humphries, a player who can't get on the court in Brooks, and a late first.

Neither deal fits the classic trade you want to make for guys like KG and PP. So if we get nothing, that's still a better result than getting crap that you're on the hook to pay for anyhow.

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 04:32:06 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'm saying the goal of the boston celtics is to win a championship.  What Ainge has done by putting this team together for another "run" set them back at least a year.  Getting the 6th spot in the playoffs right now is more for revenue than winning.

If rebuilding took a set amount of time then you could argue that another "run" sets the team back a year. That's not necessarily the case.

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:41 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
As much as I would hate to see Pierce and Garnett go it has to happen.  Unless you want them to get nothing and suck for the next 10 years they have to start rebuilding now. They need to convince KG to expect a trade to the Clippers if that deal is on the table. Even if this team makes the playoffs they are 1 and done and then what? Rebuilding needs to start now!

Rebuilding starts when KG and Pierce retires.

With what we are getting for Paul and KG, we'd be better off with them and what they can offer, fully reload for ONE FINAL STAND next year and start rebuilding with a core of Rondo, Bradley, Green and Sully. We will have cap room and those assets to work with.

I'd rather have that than Bledsoe (he's good but he's going to be paid a ton), DeAndre Jordan and whatever we can get for Pierce, in bad contracts.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:06:30 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2013, 06:24:30 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I don't understand why ainge or anyone else for that matter thinks it's a good idea to stand pat?!
I agree.  And since there is really no way to upgrade, then there is only one way to go.
maybe he wants to try and make the playoffs, be competitive, and do deals in the offseason when he can get better value them just doing things to do them now (showcase guys like Bass and Green)?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2013, 06:26:12 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
ainge screwed up putting this team together.  he thought that if nothing else,  he could trade these guys for assets.    apparently, he cannot, and is stuck with overpaid role players and ageing stars.  he was fooled by last years playoff run like most of the fan base.

I am afraid this to be the case as well. It's been nice to see the emergence of Lee and Bradley during this stretch, but when you get waxed by the Lakers, it's time to rethink your strategy.

In fairness Jerry Buss deserves a lot of credit for the win. They came out with emotion that we were unable and unwilling to match.
coming off the b2b as well and the refs were pretty disgusting they weren't going to let LA lose today for nothing.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2013, 06:27:54 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I just want Bledsoe man.

Bledsoe isn't Rondo or Irving or Rose...he is currently CP3's backup that has potential to be good. Jordan is an overrated player on a bad contract...why do we want to trade KG for them? The Celtics will do something...they've now lost a few games in a row but I wouldn't read too much into tonight as they were operating on a back to back they have a 10 or 11 man roster right now. The Celtics problems could be fixed as easy as making a deal for Gortat. This team doesn't need to be blown up yet

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2013, 06:32:41 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
As much as I would hate to see Pierce and Garnett go it has to happen.  Unless you want them to get nothing and suck for the next 10 years they have to start rebuilding now. They need to convince KG to expect a trade to the Clippers if that deal is on the table. Even if this team makes the playoffs they are 1 and done and then what? Rebuilding needs to start now!

Remind me again why having KG and Pierce retire as Celtics would start this chain reaction where it would automatically make the Celtics suck the next decade? Maybe it would effect the team for a year or two but 10!!??? Come on man...as long as they draft well they'll be fine

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2013, 06:33:17 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I just want Bledsoe man.

Bledsoe isn't Rondo or Irving or Rose...he is currently CP3's backup that has potential to be good. Jordan is an overrated player on a bad contract...why do we want to trade KG for them? The Celtics will do something...they've now lost a few games in a row but I wouldn't read too much into tonight as they were operating on a back to back they have a 10 or 11 man roster right now. The Celtics problems could be fixed as easy as making a deal for Gortat. This team doesn't need to be blown up yet

So what, bledsoe is a backup to the best point guard in the league, and? If this team stays as is I will be really disappointed. We have no chance at a championship. If we can make some trades for some good talent Id do it. Watching this team be the atlanta hawks of the NBA is not fun.