Author Topic: The "blow up the team" merged thread  (Read 9232 times)

Re: The "blow up the team" merged thread
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 01:20:34 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
It's been time for a while now

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 01:20:50 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
ainge screwed up putting this team together.  he thought that if nothing else,  he could trade these guys for assets.    apparently, he cannot, and is stuck with overpaid role players and ageing stars.  he was fooled by last years playoff run like most of the fan base.

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 01:22:02 AM »

Offline Big Rondo

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 37
As much as I would hate to see Pierce and Garnett go it has to happen.  Unless you want them to get nothing and suck for the next 10 years they have to start rebuilding now. They need to convince KG to expect a trade to the Clippers if that deal is on the table. Even if this team makes the playoffs they are 1 and done and then what? Rebuilding needs to start now!

Ironic username.

Was 'Banner18afterrebuild!' Taken?

Show me a trade that gives me any reason to believe they are championship level talent and only then will I consider trading KG/Pierce. I don't even think Rondo is on that level, so to pair him with inferior talent (sorry, not the best player on this team, never was) on large contracts sets this team up worse moving forward

Shots fired!! Woo boy  :o

The deadline can't get here soon enough!
Offense sells tickets, Defense wins games, Rebounds win championships.

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 01:22:11 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Meh. No need to overreact to a loss away after a back to back, with a very depleted roster, and during a game in which Doc thought it was a great idea to play Bass at the 5 through a big stretch, while Howard was on the floor.
Um, this is not a depleted roster.  This is THE roster.  Ain't no saviors walking through that door.

When you still have 3 roster spots to fill, that's a depleted roster... in addition to 2 injured players (not counting Barbosa in this calculation). Two if you count Williams.
Fill them or not, doesn't matter.  You're not going to find guys that can play anyway.

I'm sure will find players that will prevent Bass from playing center... that's a good start.
Youre sure?  Really?  Um, the guys you find likely will be worse than fab Melo.  And he ain't better than Bass.  Basically, anyone at least 6'10" that can walk and chew gum at the same time is ready in the league.  At this point, you'll only find guys that can do each of those one at a time.

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 01:24:17 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Meh. No need to overreact to a loss away after a back to back, with a very depleted roster, and during a game in which Doc thought it was a great idea to play Bass at the 5 through a big stretch, while Howard was on the floor.
Um, this is not a depleted roster.  This is THE roster.  Ain't no saviors walking through that door.

When you still have 3 roster spots to fill, that's a depleted roster... in addition to 2 injured players (not counting Barbosa in this calculation). Two if you count Williams.
Fill them or not, doesn't matter.  You're not going to find guys that can play anyway.

I'm sure will find players that will prevent Bass from playing center... that's a good start.
Youre sure?  Really?  Um, the guys you find likely will be worse than fab Melo.  And he ain't better than Bass.  Basically, anyone at least 6'10" that can walk and chew gum at the same time is ready in the league.  At this point, you'll only find guys that can do each of those one at a time.
yea exatcly, maybe we can pick up this years Ryan Hollins, that will surely put us in contention ;)

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 01:24:35 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
I don't get the value argument?  Isn't something better than nothing?  The only reason danny is keeping these guys is to keep pretending they have a chance to sell tickets to suckers and nostalgia.

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 01:26:24 AM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
You mean this team isn't better without Rondo and Sullinger? I'm shocked.

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 01:26:54 AM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
ainge screwed up putting this team together.  he thought that if nothing else,  he could trade these guys for assets.    apparently, he cannot, and is stuck with overpaid role players and ageing stars.  he was fooled by last years playoff run like most of the fan base.

I am afraid this to be the case as well. It's been nice to see the emergence of Lee and Bradley during this stretch, but when you get waxed by the Lakers, it's time to rethink your strategy.

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 01:29:02 AM »

Offline Big Rondo

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 37

Nah. Ainge put together a great team on paper. People were rating his offseason work a B+/A average back in the summer and we played inspired basketball in the preseason running and moving the ball like we did after Rondo went down. It was really injuries and  Doc's blundering mismanagement that did us in. Had this team played under a system for which it was constructed, we would have won a ton more games (not to  mention playing Darko would have  made a big difference). Instead, we  played peek-a-boo, slow, half-court, rondo-dominant, small ball offense until injuries forced us to change and  by then it was too late. Can't blame Ainge for Doc's incompetence.
Offense sells tickets, Defense wins games, Rebounds win championships.

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 01:29:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I am afraid this to be the case as well. It's been nice to see the emergence of Lee and Bradley during this stretch, but when you get waxed by the Lakers, it's time to rethink your strategy.

this is what worries me, too, that not only are our stars old and or injured, but the youngish role players we're paying handsomely are not easily moved in a trade and are actually viewed as negative assets by potential trade partners because of the length of their contracts.

right now the celtics have very little flexibility, which is why Ainge's first option seems to have been exploring trades for Pierce, Garnett, and even Rondo.  that's a tough place to be.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 01:31:32 AM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
I don't get the value argument?  Isn't something better than nothing?  The only reason danny is keeping these guys is to keep pretending they have a chance to sell tickets to suckers and nostalgia.

It's called pride, respect, and patience. There's no guarantee that acquiring "young assets" will be the more ideal option.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 01:35:36 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton

Nah. Ainge put together a great team on paper. People were rating his offseason work a B+/A average back in the summer and we played inspired basketball in the preseason running and moving the ball like we did after Rondo went down. It was really injuries and  Doc's blundering mismanagement that did us in. Had this team played under a system for which it was constructed, we would have won a ton more games (not to  mention playing Darko would have  made a big difference). Instead, we  played peek-a-boo, slow, half-court, rondo-dominant, small ball offense until injuries forced us to change and  by then it was too late. Can't blame Ainge for Doc's incompetence.

I don't know.  It's a fair point.   I just feel like that idea is based on the belief that Pierce and Garnett are still in their prime.   If they were, then you're theory makes sense.   Those dudes can't play ball like that.   I don't think any coach makes this team a contender.  And that is the choice essentially that took place last summer, could this be a contender.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:44:39 AM by Chief Macho »

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 01:38:52 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
You mean this team isn't better without Rondo and Sullinger? I'm shocked.

Lol tp

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 01:40:52 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton

It's called pride, respect, and patience. There's no guarantee that acquiring "young assets" will be the more ideal option.

Come on,  none of those are tangible qualities in the NBA buisness. Having any young asset gets you back faster to where I think we want to be.  It should have happened last offseason.  And it will probably end up costing Ainge his job.

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 01:44:53 AM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
I'm getting really sick of people confusing speculation and theory with actuality. Aka these forums haha. Chill out, and let the season ride out as the basketball gods feel it should. Enjoy what we have, if anything.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.