Author Topic: Pierce and KG to the clips?  (Read 5262 times)

Re: Pierce and KG to the clips?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 10:33:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So, we'd essentially be trading Pierce for Odom and Butler (based upon the prior KG rumors)?

No thanks.

If that's the only way KG will go to the clips wouldn't it be worth it? Maybe clips throw iin 1st round pick?

No, dumping KG and Pierce for mediocre non-building blocks isn't worth it.  It's especially not worth it if we have to give Pierce away for free, or worse than free as we'd be taking on Butler.

So a starting 5 consisting of Rondo,Bradley,Green, Sullinger, and Jordan is mediocre?
Then Bledsoe, Butler, Odom, Lee, Barbosa, Pf/C. Off bench? Seems young and athletic with alot of upside to me...

1.  Please don't put words in my mouth;

2.  I'd call that lineup worse than mediocre.  Probably "below average" and "headed for the lottery"

It would take something shocking for that team ever to reach the conference finals, let alone truly contend for a championship.

Well, I don't see many alternatives. Allowing  KG and Pierce retire as Celtics and then having to go through a complete rebuild doesn't sound great either.

We're going to have to go through a total rebuild one way or another.  The question is whether we should blow up our team right now to begin that rebuild.

My thought:  the vast, vast majority of rebuilds are unsuccessful, if the goal is a championship.  This team is closer to contention now than it would be in all but the most optimistic circumstances.  That being the case, what's the rush?  There will be plenty of time for terrible basketball and rooting for lottery balls later.  Why not enjoy our team for another year or two?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 10:35:14 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
So, we'd essentially be trading Pierce for Odom and Butler (based upon the prior KG rumors)?

No thanks.

If that's the only way KG will go to the clips wouldn't it be worth it? Maybe clips throw iin 1st round pick?

No, dumping KG and Pierce for mediocre non-building blocks isn't worth it.  It's especially not worth it if we have to give Pierce away for free, or worse than free as we'd be taking on Butler.

So a starting 5 consisting of Rondo,Bradley,Green, Sullinger, and Jordan is mediocre?
Then Bledsoe, Butler, Odom, Lee, Barbosa, Pf/C. Off bench? Seems young and athletic with alot of upside to me...

2.  I'd call that lineup worse than mediocre.  Probably "below average" and "headed for the lottery"

It would take something shocking for that team ever to reach the conference finals, let alone truly contend for a championship.

Well, I don't see many alternatives. Allowing  KG and Pierce retire as Celtics and then having to go through a complete rebuild doesn't sound great either.

We're going to have to go through a total rebuild one way or another.  The question is whether we should blow up our team right now to begin that rebuild.

My thought:  the vast, vast majority of rebuilds are unsuccessful, if the goal is a championship.  This team is closer to contention now than it would be in all but the most optimistic circumstances.  That being the case, what's the rush?  There will be plenty of time for terrible basketball and rooting for lottery balls later.  Why not enjoy our team for another year or two?

Preach, brother.  TP

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 10:35:34 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Precisely.

Far too many people treat rebuilding like a fait accompli. Perhaps they don't recall that the Celtics went 22 years between their last two titles.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 10:38:34 PM »

Offline BoulderMike

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Great post and suggestion.  This would be a great trade ... I hope it is announced after tonight's game.

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 11:03:35 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

No thanks.

This. A third team would have to come in. And I don't mean to sound like some crochety proprietary blogger, but this is like thread 367 on this topic.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 11:05:24 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

No thanks.

I suppose your right.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 06:09:14 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

No thanks.

I don't consider it a total rebuild because we still have Rondo.

It's a partial rebuild. We already have one major piece of the puzzle here. Rondo. A player that Danny Ainge can build around.

A full rebuild would be to trade Rondo too and make the Celtics the new Charlotte Bobcats and build them up from scratch (15-20 win squads) with multiple top five picks like they did and are doing after dumpeding Tyson, G-Wallace, Felton and S.Jackson.

I feel a lot better about entering a rebuilding process because of Rondo. Having that first big piece. Add the cap space onto that and you have a very good opportunity to add to Rondo quickly.

We won't have to suffer through those 15-20 win Charlotte Bobcat style seasons. I really don't want to do that. If that was the move after Pierce and Garnett, I would be in no hurry to move them on. But with Rondo here -- and with Rondo just entering his prime -- I feel good about starting that rebuilding process now.

Give Danny as much time as possible to get another top team together around our young star player in Rajon Rondo.

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 06:14:34 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I tell ya though, I would be over at clippersblog.com for the rest of the season if that went down.
they would instantly be my second fav team and I'd be rooting for them pretty hard
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 06:42:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This team is closer to contention now than it would be in all but the most optimistic circumstances.  That being the case, what's the rush?  There will be plenty of time for terrible basketball and rooting for lottery balls later.  Why not enjoy our team for another year or two?

This is true, but right now we have a 3% chance to win a title according to Vegas odds.   We are somewhat relevent but we hardly are favorites.   I will watch the team either way.   I love KG and PP so I am cool if they stay, I love the C's so I will watch them if we rebuild.

I am not sure these guys have another 1-2 years in them though at least not real productive ones.   They are both scoring still but PP 's D has trailed off a tad and his shooting is down.   I still would want him taking a last second shot if we had one though.  KG is still very productive but he is a minute gimp and when he isn't in there we suffer in our defensive integrity.

It's going to suck either way and be good in some ways either way.

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 07:18:12 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think that Danny would rather part ways with Paul then with Kevin, and because of that i think that he will pull a pp for josh smith trade right before deadline. In that case, KG would be p---ed of, but there would be no time to trade him to clipers (under reasonable terms).
So, we keep KG, add Smith, move Green to sf and maybe add someone else via trade...

Team would look like this:
Starting lineup - Bradley, Lee, Green, Smith and Garnett.
Bench - Williams, Terry, Wilcox, Bass, Colins, Melo, ???

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 07:44:26 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
This should say "IDEA" .. Since the thread was started every time I look at it I have to ick cause I think it's a real trade....ERRRRRRRRRRRRR
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 07:54:29 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I feel like we'd need a little more, but I would do something like this. Seems logical for them both to end up together, in LA...

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 08:00:53 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Mods please edit title!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 08:42:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I still say the best deal for the Clippers is to add Bass and Terry to Garnett and give up Odom in addition to Bledsoe and Jordan.

That would give the Clippers the backup PG they would lose in Terry and also add a quality backup PF to their bench.

Paul/Terry/Billups
Green/Crawford/Billups
Butler/Barnes
Griffin/Bass
Garnett/Turiaf

That to me is a team that could easily win the title if Paul can stay healthy.

Boston still gets Jordan and Bledsoe for Garnett, but also unloads some long contracts for Odom's expiring contract, which makes the trade a much better rebuilding trade.

Pierce could then be moved to a separate team where you could more value like say San An for Jackson, Leonard, and filler or Indy for Granger or Atlanta for Smith or to Golden State for one of their young guys or Utah for Millsap + filler or any other number of trades.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 08:45:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I still say the best deal for the Clippers is to add Bass and Terry to Garnett and give up Odom in addition to Bledsoe and Jordan.
I think Terry would be a non-starter for the Clippers to take back.

They already have Jamal Crawford signed to a similar deal and you couldn't play Crawford/Terry together. (I shudder to imagine their backcourt "defense")