Author Topic: Ainge offered PP to Nets for Joe Johnson?  (Read 4781 times)

Re: Ainge offered PP to Nets for Joe Johnson?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 08:16:46 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I want to know what "confirmed" means. If Ainge offered Pierce for JJ, there's no question that there were other pieces.

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 08:18:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wonder if Danny has this playing on his laptop? ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl2TwUpIlLo

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 08:30:05 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
One of the comments:

"why wouldn't the nets do that? Much better contract for Pierce than JJ, and arguably better player."

Pierce is viewed as a better player than JJ? At this stage of his career, really?

Absolutely. Johnson has been a complete dud in the playoffs the last four years. Virtually a non threat with equal point to FGA ratio. He's so meh. Pierce had his worst playoffs this past season, and it was still better than all of Johnson's playoff performances save one year in Phoenix. He hasn't exactly been gangbusters in the regular season either. Pierce could have averaged 20-23 PPG on those Hawk teams the last few years.

Johnson might never be better either because he might hit his own decline. He's not exactly young. He's 31.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:35:28 PM by DarkAzcura »

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 08:42:33 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I 100% believe that Ainge offered PP (plus salary) for JJ (and a 1st). The idea would be that NJ gets to compete this year and shed salary next year. Also Pierce is better than Johnson at basically everything but wind sprints so NJ actually gets better.

Johnson probably has 2 "good" years left and after that he's a massive expiring contract. KG is signed for about that long as is Rondo. This was a "keep the window open" scenario and the Nets turned it down because Prokhorov is a billionaire that doesn't mind paying into the tax to win. Can't blame Danny for trying at all.

Honestly I can't decide if this was to keep the window open or trade or shut the door trade. I think window because of how long Johnson is signed for and how much he's owed. No rebuilding team wants that mess.

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 08:52:35 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I bet it was for Lopez if it's "top 2 player" and the Nets turned it down.  Right now PP is better than JJ and has a better contract.  No way Ainge offers it or NJ turns it down.

I can see Ainge trying to pry Lopez to get NJ to dump his awful contract.  Even though he's playing well he's not a $20 mil a year player.  Either way Danny probably dodged a bullet.  Every Net is overpaid.

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 08:56:07 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
I 100% believe that Ainge offered PP (plus salary) for JJ (and a 1st). The idea would be that NJ gets to compete this year and shed salary next year. Also Pierce is better than Johnson at basically everything but wind sprints so NJ actually gets better.

Johnson probably has 2 "good" years left and after that he's a massive expiring contract. KG is signed for about that long as is Rondo. This was a "keep the window open" scenario and the Nets turned it down because Prokhorov is a billionaire that doesn't mind paying into the tax to win. Can't blame Danny for trying at all.

Honestly I can't decide if this was to keep the window open or trade or shut the door trade. I think window because of how long Johnson is signed for and how much he's owed. No rebuilding team wants that mess.

Trading for a player on that contract and also a player who is much worse than who "we offered" is not keeping the window open. It's also not shutting it down because the contract is a huge burden that would kill us in any potential 2014 free agency talks. I don't think this offer ever happened...at least the Celtics didn't offer it. It makes no sense whatsoever for the Celtics haha

The only thing this trade accomplishes is probably p---ing off KG so he's okay with the Clippers trade. Does Ainge really think Jordan/Bledsoe are THAT worth it? Pierce, KG for essentially Johnson, Bledsoe, and Jordan doesn't sound that bad, but I don't like how shady it sounds on Ainge's part potentially (purposely making KG want to go).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:01:59 PM by DarkAzcura »

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 09:37:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The only thing "confirmed" is that Ainge offered Pierce for one of Brooklyn's top 2-3 players.  The Joe Johnson stuff seems like speculation, if I'm reading "tweet speak" correctly.

If Deron or Lopez were the target, I get it.  If it's Johnson, not so much.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 09:40:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Oh, didn't realize this was Vecsey.  I trust Sherrod more than him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 09:51:08 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Hmmm....not a bad deal here either.

I can see this being more appealing than Humphries and Brooks.

I am actually surprised Brooklyn would turn this down as well.

Paul is a proven veteran player who could really help the Nets out in crunch time.

I also like it for the Celts because it gives us another scoring option and you could also use JJ as the 3 as well.

I think both teams benefit. Wonder if we'll hear more on this

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 09:54:23 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
That'd certainly be an interesting conversation w/ Wyc.

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 09:54:49 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Hmmm well if it was Deron Williams, that would give us a healthy PG for this year.  This also opens the door to trading Rondo later for a valuable asset.  Brooks Lopez would be alright but he's too injury prone for me to find desirable.

JJ has an albatross contract so I don't believe that is the guy Ainge was targetting.

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 10:00:02 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Hmmm well if it was Deron Williams, that would give us a healthy PG for this year.  This also opens the door to trading Rondo later for a valuable asset.  Brooks Lopez would be alright but he's too injury prone for me to find desirable.

JJ has an albatross contract so I don't believe that is the guy Ainge was targetting.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. If it was for DWill, I would've made this deal yesterday and then deal Rondo this summer (with all due respect to Paul.)

JJ is also a very good player but I agree, that contract is awful

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 10:03:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If it was for Deron, it would be extremely sad to say no, but it is a deal that you can't turn down.

You then work on a deal centered around Rondo and Howard and you have a pretty awesome cornerstone for the next generation...

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:03 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
If it was for Deron, it would be extremely sad to say no, but it is a deal that you can't turn down.

You then work on a deal centered around Rondo and Howard and you have a pretty awesome cornerstone for the next generation...

A cornerstone of two overpaid, disgruntled, coach-killing wannabes?

I wouldn't care if they were winning, I wouldn't watch that team. I would rather watch a washed-up KG and Pierce than those two.

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 10:16:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If I were in Ainge's position, the Pierce trade I would offer if I had to offer one (and I don't want to trade Pierce) is Pierce for Gerald Wallace, Teletovic, Brooks, and two firsts.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference