Author Topic: Houston Marcus Morris etc traded to Kings for Thomas Robinson  (Read 12983 times)

Re: Houston Marcus Morris to get traded
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2013, 05:43:50 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

The Houston Rockets have traded Marcus Morris to the Phoenix Suns for a future second-round draft pick, league sources tell Y! Sports.
Marcus Morris has been coming along well this season. Surprised Houston could only get a 2nd round pick for them. At least the pick will be up near the top of the round.

I think this is a goodish trade for both teams. Morris is a good return for a 2nd round pick + Houston were overloaded at both the forward spots and unlikely to be a long term destination for Morris so they picked up a useful asset instead.

Re: Houston Marcus Morris etc traded to Kings for Thomas Robinson
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2013, 05:49:39 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Garcia is on a team option for next year
I didn't realize Garcia's contract was a team option for next year.

Wow, I really don't get this trade for Sacramento now. As a cap dump, it was dumb but at least you saw the point of it. But this? Yeesh ...

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2013, 05:51:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Wow, I really don't get this trade for Sacramento now. As a cap dump, it was dumb but at least you saw the point of it. But this? Yeesh ...
Total salary dump for just this year.

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2013, 05:59:00 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

So they sent out around $10 million in salaries this year and got back $6 million plus received a million in cash. So Sacramento saved themselves $5 million in this trade.

They dumped T-Rob for cash savings. Not even for extra cap space to spend on a quality player next year but cash savings.

Huh. That is a peculiar one. I can't remember the last time a top five pick was dumped so quickly and for so little in return.

Seattle fans should be worried about their new ownership.

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2013, 06:14:01 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
It's not new ownership.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2013, 06:30:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

So they sent out around $10 million in salaries this year and got back $6 million plus received a million in cash. So Sacramento saved themselves $5 million in this trade.

They dumped T-Rob for cash savings. Not even for extra cap space to spend on a quality player next year but cash savings.

Huh. That is a peculiar one. I can't remember the last time a top five pick was dumped so quickly and for so little in return.

Patrick Patterson isn't exactly a scrub. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2013, 06:36:24 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

You are right.

I take that below average backup comment back. C.Aldrich and T.Douglas are below average backups but P.Patterson is a good backup PF. Above average backup.

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2013, 06:36:30 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
It's not new ownership.
New ownership was briefed.

If the new ownership told them to not pull off the move and that they'd raise their price $5 million to stop it the Kings would have stopped it.

« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2013, 06:38:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

You are right. I take that back.

P.Patterson = above average backup PF
Patterson had a better rookie year than Robinson and is a much better player right now in addition to vastly improving all 3 years.  Patterson is also a starter on a playoff team in the west.  You are either greatly under selling Patterson or greatly over selling Robinson. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2013, 06:41:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

You are right. I take that back.

P.Patterson = above average backup PF
Patterson had a better rookie year than Robinson and is a much better player right now in addition to vastly improving all 3 years.  Patterson is also a starter on a playoff team in the west.  You are either greatly under selling Patterson or greatly over selling Robinson.
Patterson = Brandon Bass level essentially? That's how I look at him. A bit better because of his longer range but functionally he's a Brandon Bass type player.

« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2013, 06:47:04 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
There is nothing in the NBA rule book that says you can't trade a #5 lottery pick player in his first year.  Plenty of those guys turn out to be worthless.  It might not be smart, but it could turn out right.

« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2013, 07:50:31 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
So Thomas Robinson is going to be starting in Houston now?  It will be very interesting to see him and Asik together.  Could be a very potent rebounding combo
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2013, 07:56:23 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
So Thomas Robinson is going to be starting in Houston now?  It will be very interesting to see him and Asik together.  Could be a very potent rebounding combo

I don't think he'll start. He is not ready.

I expect they will start Terrence Jones while Thomas Robinson will compete with Donatus Motiejunas for the backup PF minutes. I expect Motiejunas to have the upper hand in that battle but maybe T-Rob will surprise.

I think it'll be next year before T.Robinson is ready to compete for the starter's job.

« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2013, 08:00:19 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

I don't think he'll start. He is not ready.

I expect they will start Terrence Jones while Thomas Robinson will compete with Donatus Motiejunas for the backup PF minutes. I expect Motiejunas to have the upper hand in that battle but maybe T-Rob will surprise.

I think it'll be next year before T.Robinson is ready to compete for the starter's job.

Gotcha, I was reading this on yahoo.

Wed, Feb 20

Robinson was traded to the Rockets in exchange for Patrick Patterson, Toney Douglas, and Cole Aldrich, Yahoo! Sports reports.

Recommendation: Robinson was averaging 4.8 points and 4.7 boards in 15.9 minutes per game with the Kings this season. He will step into Patterson's starting role in Houston, and will see a bump in playing time and fantasy value immediately. With news that Marcus Morris has also been dealt to Pheonix, Robinson should be seeing at least 25-30 minutes for the Rockets, making him a player of fantasy relevance.

(Rotowire.com)
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2013, 08:04:09 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Like many others have mentioned, scratching my head on Sacramento's side on this.  Talk about lame duck franchise right now and those in SEA might have some reason to be concerned, 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team