Author Topic: Houston Marcus Morris etc traded to Kings for Thomas Robinson  (Read 12980 times)

Re: Houston Marcus Morris etc traded to Kings for Thomas Robinson
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2013, 09:30:01 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
As a future Sonics season ticket holder, this upsets me.  You don't give up the #5 pick midway through his rookie year.

trust me , it wasn't clicking. It is still early no doubt but its a risk you take

Patterson and Cousins are good friends. Douglas is capable pg. I'm sure sac is not done dealing
reports are it was cost dump.

See, now my Bass for Jason Thompson idea, which could've included Melo + Barbosa + Collins and take on Chuck Hayes too, doesn't look that far out of what could have been, or could be a possibility.

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2013, 09:30:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
As a future Sonics season ticket holder, this upsets me.  You don't give up the #5 pick midway through his rookie year.

trust me , it wasn't clicking. It is still early no doubt but its a risk you take

Patterson and Cousins are good friends. Douglas is capable pg. I'm sure sac is not done dealing
reports are it was cost dump.

it works out for both teams. Robinson has the higher ceiling but Patterson and Douglas are already productive. Its prob the only way Sac also get decent players, bc during FA nobody wants to play for them

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I think some of those players + somes Kings might be coming this way for Rondo... ;D

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2013, 09:42:36 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Morey has stockpiled a lot of low cost assets, and were able to make what should be a three quarters for a dollar trade.  I really liked Robinson coming out of college and thought he would be an impact pro right away.  It hasn't worked out that way in dysfunctional Sacto, but I still think the guy's a keeper.

So does Morey, who has really put together some quality young players in Houston.  Assuming they don't exercise their option on Garcia this summer, this deal gives the Rockers even more cap room.  They will be able to make a max offer to either Howard or Bynum if they so choose. 

Even if T-Rob doesn't impress in Houston, he still will have value as a trade piece.  Great move for the Rockets.   

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 09:45:48 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
It was three-way for anyone who didn't know.

Morris actually teamed up with his twin in PHX
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2013, 09:57:35 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Morey has stockpiled a lot of low cost assets, and were able to make what should be a three quarters for a dollar trade.  I really liked Robinson coming out of college and thought he would be an impact pro right away.  It hasn't worked out that way in dysfunctional Sacto, but I still think the guy's a keeper.

So does Morey, who has really put together some quality young players in Houston.  Assuming they don't exercise their option on Garcia this summer, this deal gives the Rockers even more cap room.  They will be able to make a max offer to either Howard or Bynum if they so choose. 

Even if T-Rob doesn't impress in Houston, he still will have value as a trade piece.  Great move for the Rockets.   

I like what Morey does, in general. I just don't get the general deification of the guy though. Houston is a perennial borderline playoff team despite all these seemingly shrewd moves on his part.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2013, 12:16:33 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I have to see this broken down this way to make sense of it:

Rockets trade Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich, Toney Douglas, Marcus Morris
Rockets receive Thomas Robinson, Francisco Garcia, Tyler Honeycutt, 2013 second-round pick (Suns)

Kings trade Thomas Robinson, Francisco Garcia, Tyler Honeycutt
Kings receive Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich, Toney Douglas, $1 million cash (from Suns?)

Suns trade 2013 second round pick
Suns receive Marcus Morris
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2013, 12:19:50 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I have to see this broken down this way to make sense of it:

Rockets trade Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich, Toney Douglas, Marcus Morris
Rockets receive Thomas Robinson, Francisco Garcia, Tyler Honeycutt, 2013 second-round pick (Suns)

Kings trade Thomas Robinson, Francisco Garcia, Tyler Honeycutt
Kings receive Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich, Toney Douglas, $1 million cash (from Suns?)

Suns trade 2013 second round pick
Suns receive Marcus Morris

Suns got a steal. Morris was a close lottery pick not too long ago
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2013, 12:22:12 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Can't wait until the Maloofs finally officially sell that team just so the Kings won't continue making ridiculously awful moves like this one.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2013, 12:23:50 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I like what Morey does, in general. I just don't get the general deification of the guy though. Houston is a perennial borderline playoff team despite all these seemingly shrewd moves on his part.

I agree, and I also don't understand comparing Danny unfavorably to Morey, since Morey's ultimate goal in all these moves is something that Danny already did.

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2013, 12:24:05 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Nice job by Daryl Morey. Turned a couple prospects in Patterson and Morris into the #5 pick in this past draft. Garcia is on a team option for next year, and Honeycutt is also unguaranteed. So, Houston consolidates assets, gets the best player in the deal (by most accounts), and clears more cap space for next summer.

For Phoenix, a no-brainer. Not sure if they are the ones sending the cash out; even so, a pick in the late 20s for Morris is a decent, low-risk, high-reward gamble.

For the Kings, I guess it comes down to reuniting Cousins with Patterson. I know Robinson's play was uneven this year, but that has to be expected. Does Patterson project to be better? Neither Aldrich nor Douglas will do much for the Kings. Douglas becomes the seventh guard on that roster, I think.

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2013, 12:42:15 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Funny, ESPN has updated the Trade Machine with the Sacto and Houston players changing hands, except for Marcus Morris.

Houston still has nearly $9 mil in cap space when the deal is finalized? They could still be buyers at the deadline.

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2013, 12:44:19 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Funny, ESPN has updated the Trade Machine with the Sacto and Houston players changing hands, except for Marcus Morris.

Houston still has nearly $9 mil in cap space when the deal is finalized? They could still be buyers at the deadline.

Morey really should get GM of the year... hes played his cards perfectly

Re: Houston Marcus Morris to get traded
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2013, 05:10:19 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Houston is always active.  Never a dull moment in that front office.  I'd be interested, depending on the price, of course.

It must be exciting to be a fan of that team around the trade deadline.

They always seem to pull something off and more often than not it's a really good deal for them.

Re: Houston Marcus Morris to get traded
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2013, 05:39:18 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Also from Houston:

"The Rockets will send Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich and Toney Douglas to the Kings for Thomas Robinson, sources tell Y!"

This one is way weird.

That is a really great trade for the Rockets. T-Robinson is a really good prospect who could be a quality starting PF a few years down the road.

The other guys are all clear cut bench players. Below average bench players at that.

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick

Kings send T. Robinson, F. Garcia, T. Honeycutt to Houston for Toney Douglas, Cole Aldrich, Patrick Patterson & cash, USAT has learned.

Was it to eat Cisco Garcia's contract? They dumped T-Rob to get rid of one year of Garcia's contract at $6+ million. That is really short-sighted.

Terrible trade for Sacramento.