Author Topic: Tonight could possibly be Pierce/Garnett's last game as a Celtic  (Read 3475 times)

Re: Tonight could possibly be Pierce/Garnett's last game as a Celtic
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 07:25:03 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I really hope PP and KG remain in green. I think the Celtics would be in better shape waiting until next offseason to "rebuild" if that is truely the direction they want to go. They would be able to avoid taking on bad contracts this way and we would get another playoff run. No sense in being crappy in with this draft class.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 07:30:43 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
How fitting would it be that it's against the Lakers? Haven't spent much time flipping through rumors as the Pick 2 draft has done a good job of keeping me occupied.

Usually I have a strong feeling one way or the other about what Danny may do but I honestly have no idea about tomorrow...sooo many rumblings.

If they're really about to be traded the Denver game was their last game together.

This is untrue.

There is still time before the trade deadline.  Dozens of phone calls were fielded today, dozens more will be fielded tomorrow.  Some offers will be altered, some will be strengthened, some will be taken off the table entirely, some will be explored tomorrow for the first time.

Danny likely still is uncertain of what direction this is taking with some players on the roster.  He might get a new offer for a certain player for the first time.

To note an example, Gerald Wallace played 33 minutes the night before last season's trade deadline.  He was then traded the following afternoon.  It happens all the time.

In a world of perfect information, anyone to be traded tomorrow would be held out.  I just have less confidence in Danny's ability to read the minds of 29 other GMs and what offers might change / start tomorrow.

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
How fitting would it be that it's against the Lakers? Haven't spent much time flipping through rumors as the Pick 2 draft has done a good job of keeping me occupied.

Usually I have a strong feeling one way or the other about what Danny may do but I honestly have no idea about tomorrow...sooo many rumblings.

If they're really about to be traded the Denver game was their last game together.

This is untrue.

There is still time before the trade deadline.  Dozens of phone calls were fielded today, dozens more will be fielded tomorrow.  Some offers will be altered, some will be strengthened, some will be taken off the table entirely, some will be explored tomorrow for the first time.

Danny likely still is uncertain of what direction this is taking with some players on the roster.  He might get a new offer for a certain player for the first time.

To note an example, Gerald Wallace played 33 minutes the night before last season's trade deadline.  He was then traded the following afternoon.  It happens all the time.

In a world of perfect information, anyone to be traded tomorrow would be held out.  I just have less confidence in Danny's ability to read the minds of 29 other GMs and what offers might change / start tomorrow.

First of all it's not untrue because you have no way of knowing what time frame I meant by "about to be traded". Secondly, it's not untrue because you don't have the slightest idea whether it's true or not. It's not unusual for players about to be traded to be held out of games so there's no reason to think the Celts wouldn't do that. Your "this is untrue" statement is in fact untrue, although "this might not be true" would have been accurate.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 07:58:41 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

This is untrue.

First of all it's not untrue because you have no way of knowing what time frame I meant by "about to be traded". Secondly, it's not untrue because you don't have the slightest idea whether it's true or not. It's not unusual for players about to be traded to be held out of games so there's no reason to think the Celts wouldn't do that. Your "this is untrue" statement is in fact untrue, although "this might not be true" would have been accurate.

The timeframe would be "by tomorrow's deadline".  That should be obvious with the trade deadline tomorrow and was the timeframe established in the two posts you responded to.  My suggestion is that you read the posts you respond to.   

Play semantics all you want, but your statement about the Denver game is nonsense and pointless, which you have pretty much conceded.  If a trade were coming in the next couple of minutes, of course they would be held out.  That's common sense.  BleedGreen1989 and dark19tower both said by tomorrow's deadline, if you had taken the time to read their posts.  Despite your denial of their posts, it is possible that the Lakers game is the last game in Green for Pierce and/or KG.

If you need me to simplify any other posts for you, let me know.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:18:25 PM by celtsfan84 »

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 08:33:23 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
If Pierce and KJ are still here at 3:01pm, we can forget winning anything for the next 5 to 10 years. We will be stuck as a .500 ball club. The worst position to be in the NBA.

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 08:40:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Pierce and KJ are still here at 3:01pm, we can forget winning anything for the next 5 to 10 years. We will be stuck as a .500 ball club. The worst position to be in the NBA.

Really?  10 years?  If that's the case, we should fire Danny now and hire a GM who can manage a franchise properly.

I fail to see what assets we're supposedly going to get that will put us in an appreciably better position to win a championship, or why failure to make a deal will set us back an entire decade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 08:48:03 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

Yeah that is hyperbole. The majority of teams are middling teams for a while but usually they make moves to improve or bottom out. It's unlikely that a decade goes by with neither happening. Statistics back that up.

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

It's the same if they aren't.

And I'm pretty sure we won't be a .500 ball club this year, more like .550-.600 ;D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 08:50:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

This is untrue.

The timeframe would be "by tomorrow's deadline".  That should be obvious with the trade deadline tomorrow and was the timeframe established in the two posts you responded to.  My suggestion is that you read the posts you respond to.   

Play semantics all you want, but your statement about the Denver game is nonsense and pointless, which you have pretty much conceded.  If a trade were coming in the next couple of minutes, of course they would be held out.  That's common sense.  BleedGreen1989 and dark19tower both said by tomorrow's deadline, if you had taken the time to read their posts.

You need to have a better grasp of what you're trying to simplify, this one seems to have gotten the better of you. A poster said that the Lakers game could be their last game together, I commented that if they're really about to be traded then they probably wouldn't be in tonight's game. I would have thought that it was obvious that I was talking about a situation where Danny feels that it's very likely a deal will take place and he feels that way before tonight's game starts. That could obviously be true even if the trade isn't finalized until tomorrow. If they play tonight then one can assume that there isn't an imminent deal, hence they aren't "about to get traded".

If your claim is that it's beyond the realm of possibility that Danny would know by now that he's very likely to have a deal in place by tomorrow then you're just being ridiculous. If your stance is that the Celts would definitely play KG and PP in the game regardless of whether Danny thinks he's close to an agreement to trade them then the obvious conclusion is that you don't follow the nba too closely. If you're savvy enough to realize that Danny would hold them out of a game if he was close to trading them then you'd be forced to agree that my claim was possibly incorrect but *not* definitely untrue.

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 09:04:08 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
danny wont make that move..kg and paul will retire in green

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 09:05:11 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

This is untrue.

Play semantics all you want, but your statement about the Denver game is nonsense and pointless, which you have pretty much conceded.  If a trade were coming in the next couple of minutes, of course they would be held out.  That's common sense.  BleedGreen1989 and dark19tower both said by tomorrow's deadline, if you had taken the time to read their posts.

You need to have a better grasp of what you're trying to simplify, this one seems to have gotten the better of you. A poster said that the Lakers game could be their last game together, I commented that if they're really about to be traded then they probably wouldn't be in tonight's game. I would have thought that it was obvious that I was talking about a situation where Danny feels that it's very likely a deal will take place and he feels that way before tonight's game starts. That could obviously be true even if the trade isn't finalized until tomorrow. If they play tonight then one can assume that there isn't an imminent deal, hence they aren't "about to get traded".

If your claim is that it's beyond the realm of possibility that Danny would know by now that he's very likely to have a deal in place by tomorrow then you're just being ridiculous. If your stance is that the Celts would definitely play KG and PP in the game regardless of whether Danny thinks he's close to an agreement to trade them then the obvious conclusion is that you don't follow the nba too closely. If you're savvy enough to realize that Danny would hold them out of a game if he was close to trading them then you'd be forced to agree that my claim was possibly incorrect but *not* definitely untrue.

I think you're both delving too deep into this
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 09:06:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

This is untrue.

I think you're both delving too deep into this

I'd be inclined to agree with you.

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 09:07:07 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

At least you aren't overreacting.

They could just extend Pierce for two years after this one (gets $5M buyout plus new two year $20M contract?). By doing that, you still field a competitive team the next two years capable of doing damage and you have Pierce, KG, Bass, and Terry all off the books the same year. You could start over with Rondo, Green, Lee, Sully, Bradley and enough cap space to bring in another major player.

Granted, a lot of these role players can get moved tomorrow and/or in the offseason for different contracts, but if no deals gets done, I don't think we will become the Bobcats for the next decade.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Were not making any major trades.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 09:10:59 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Kj?

Anyways...there's no promise we win anything even if we deal them the last I checked...I'd rather watch kg and Paul go out fighting then deal them and not win anyway