Author Topic: Hoopshype idea: Millsap and Burks for Rondo  (Read 3713 times)

Re: Hoopshype idea: Millsap and Burks for Rondo
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 05:17:03 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'd love to get Big Al back for Rondo personally.

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 05:18:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd generally rather trade for an undersized player of proven effectiveness than a taller player who has not shown anywhere near an equal level of production given ample opportunity, despite having superior athleticism.

Kenneth Faried is about the same size as Millsap.  Maybe not as heavy, but otherwise about the same.  Would you avoid trading for him, too?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If it was Hayward and not Burks, I might consider it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 05:23:36 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
This was posted on a site I saw this morning under the article heading "Dream trades we'd love to see". I went out of my way to bash not only the Rondo for Millsap/Burks trade but several others that were listed. It's a laughable idea that we'd let Rondo go for a nice player on an expiring deal and a (for all intents and purposes) rookie who is playing okay. Rondo was the starting guard for the East. Millsap and Burks are 2nd and 7th scoring options on a middling team. BOOM!

Still absolutely not. He tore his ACL he didn't die!

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Millsap and Burks are 2nd and 7th scoring options on a middling team.
Rondo was the 2nd option on a team that was middling worse than the Jazz, if that's how you want to slice it.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 05:34:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
This was posted on a site I saw this morning under the article heading "Dream trades we'd love to see". I went out of my way to bash not only the Rondo for Millsap/Burks trade but several others that were listed. It's a laughable idea that we'd let Rondo go for a nice player on an expiring deal and a (for all intents and purposes) rookie who is playing okay. Rondo was the starting guard for the East. Millsap and Burks are 2nd and 7th scoring options on a middling team. BOOM!

True, but Hayward and Millsap aren't exactly scrubs and would be good value for a guy who TORE his ACL.

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 05:35:58 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Beat me too it.  Hayward is a guy that seems to have gotten better every time I see him play.

Lee, Bradley, Pierce, Millsap, KG with Terry, Hayward, Green, Bass, Collins/Wilcox can compete this year.

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 05:39:17 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I'd do favors and mo Williams for rondo.
Doubt Utah would give up favors.

Would do gortat and dragic for rondo. ( dragic's my binky)

If we move him we need to get back two quality players.
One preferably has to be a star or likely star.  They either need to be on reasonable contracts or expiring this year or next.
A good big and a good point would allow us to compete this year.

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I'd do favors and mo Williams for rondo.
Doubt Utah would give up favors.

Would do gortat and dragic for rondo. ( dragic's my binky)

If we move him we need to get back two quality players.
One preferably has to be a star or likely star.  They either need to be on reasonable contracts or expiring this year or next.
A good big and a good point would allow us to compete this year.
Millsap and Hayward meet your criteria and might actually be possible.

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 06:01:27 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a7od3gz yea!

But the real question is, will we win a championship with Millsap? He's OK against LB right? (not Barbosa, James)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

True, but Hayward and Millsap aren't exactly scrubs and would be good value for a guy who TORE his ACL.

Rondo's 26 and he's shown that he can play like a superstar in the playoffs. If you're trading him and don't get back someone that makes you a favorite (like Sheed to Detroit) or someone who's going to make at least a few all-star games then you're getting swindled.

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 06:50:46 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I imagine the big fuss is he can rebound and has proven it for years.

he has had years where he has averaged nearly 3 offensive rebounds a game. Still, I don't like him so much that I think it would be ok to trade Rajon for him

Speaking of rebounders, why is it that guys who are great rebounders in college are often ignored or at least depreciated in the draft? Off the top of my head guys who were underrated have been guys like Milsap, Faried, X McDaniel, R. Parish, or even guys like Baby and Powe? But the NBA looks at guys like Adam Morrison, who was a poor rebounder in college and seems to not make the connection
Karl Malone, too!

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 09:54:44 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Millsap and Burks are 2nd and 7th scoring options on a middling team.
Rondo was the 2nd option on a team that was middling worse than the Jazz, if that's how you want to slice it.

I see what you did there! I disagree though. Rondo for at least the past 2 years has been the first option until very late in games. He plays the most minutes, moves the ball up the floor and decides who gets what shots where. I think that is first option by most metrics.

And further in no way are the Celtics comparable to the Jazz over the past 5 seasons. Not only have we won a championship we've also been the the finals again and 2 conference championship games. So I guess if that is middling then I'm suddenly fine with middling.

I wouldn't take Millsap, Burks AND Haywood for Rondo. I'd only move Rondo for a polished star to win this season.