Author Topic: Off-Season Trade Idea: Pierce for Nene and Stuff  (Read 633 times)

Off-Season Trade Idea: Pierce for Nene and Stuff
« on: February 22, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't want to trade Paul Pierce, but if I did, what I would want in return is either a player with All-Star potential or a good draft pick.  I would not trade him for spare parts and a first-round pick in the 20s.

One type of team that would trade for Pierce is one that would want to save money by swapping a longer contract for Pierce and giving the Celtics other assets as compensation.  The most obvious bad contract on a bad team is Washington's Nene, who is owed $13m each season through 2015-2016.

Washington current has the SF spot held down by Martell Webster, Trevor Ariza, and Cartier Martin, so there is no young player whose development would be blocked by acquiring Pierce.  On the other hand, they have young bigs such as Jan Vesaly, Chris Singleton, and Kevin Seraphin on the depth chart behind veterans Nene and Emaka Okafor.

One problem is that the Wizards supposedly love Nene to the point that their untouchable list is him, John Wall, and Bradley Beal.  (But then, Chris Broussard tweeted that.)  The key, of course, is that the Celtics would have to receive a first-round pick.  It would almost certainly be lottery protected, but the hope is that Washington would still suck in a future season when the protection is decreased.

You can try to modify the deal. Maybe the Wizards want to jettison more salary.  Would you want to try to work Brandon Bass (or Jason Terry) and Trevor Ariza (if he exercises his reported player option) into the trade?

If this were possible, it would make more sense, from both a win-now and a build-for-the-future trade,  than other proposed Pierce trades, such as the Brookynettes' reported offer of Kris Humphries, Marshon Brooks, and a first that was supposedly quickly shot down.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Off-Season Trade Idea: Pierce for Nene and Stuff
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 01:01:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why would we want to trade Pierce for an overpaid 30 year old big man on a long term contract?

Nene is not going to make us a contender a year or two from now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I didnt want to give up Pierce for Josh Smith...There is no way in Hades I let him go for Nene.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 01:07:53 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Way to fragile with a big long term contract.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Why would we want to trade Pierce for an overpaid 30 year old big man on a long term contract?

For the chance to get a good lottery pick.  I wouldn't do this deal, but I think it is way better than Pierce for Humphries/Brooks/pick.  I like it better than trading for Josh Smith and signing him to a max deal.

The idea is that it is a win-now move for next season and maybe one more, after which the team goes into rebuild mode and you don't care if you have an aging, fragile big man on the roster who may have future trade value as an expiring contract.

My main point is that the people who want to trade Pierce but only to a contender (something a few posters have said) are idiots, and that if you want to trade Pierce, you should be looking for the deal that brings back the best possible draft pick.  I don't want to trade Pierce, but if I did, I wouldn't be sentimental about it.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference