Author Topic: Danny Ainge tells Rondo He Won't Be Dealt  (Read 2601 times)

Re: Danny Ainge tells Rondo He Won't Be Dealt
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 07:47:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
im not sure why some fans are so quick to want to ship Rondo out of town.

Because they (wrongly) think that he is a non-All-Star talent who hurts the team when healthy.

Or maybe they (correctly) figure that they have a prime opportunity to upgrade the roster substantially with a player that it's out for the season, in what could be one of the last remaining shots at the title on this current window... regardless if Ainge decides to start rebuilding next season or not.

You have to maximize this opportunity, and if takes Rondo to do it, you do it.

You won't get a good return for an injured player and you'll pretty much be insuring that it's the last shot on this current window.

1) We'll see if the return is good. If it isn't there, it isn't there.

2) Considering that we have this exact roster pretty much signed up for 3 years, I don't see the long behind the "insuring it's the last shot on this current window" idea.

The fact that it's signed up for 3 more years is why you don't trade Rondo for players who won't more likely than not put you over the top. If you trade your best asset for lesser players to help your chances this year and don't win the title then it's a bad move.

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 10:01:12 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Because they (wrongly) think that he is a non-All-Star talent who hurts the team when healthy.

Or maybe they (correctly) figure that they have a prime opportunity to upgrade the roster substantially with a player that it's out for the season, in what could be one of the last remaining shots at the title on this current window... regardless if Ainge decides to start rebuilding next season or not.

Does that mean you would trade an injured Sullinger for an inferior but useful talent who can at least play this season and is capable of being a solid rotational player on a contender?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:38 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Does that mean you would trade an injured Sullinger for an inferior but useful talent who can at least play this season and is capable of being a solid rotational player on a contender?

Let me put it this way, I'd trade Rondo for Al Jefferson without a second thought. I'd trade Rondo for Dwight without a second thought. I'd probably do the Milsap deal too, but not too high on it simply because I don't like playing Bass alongisde another undersized player. A package around Gortat could be interesting.

Having trouble finding who could be had or who has been rumored that could be had with Sullinger, so I'd need to see some examples. But it's questionable.

Other than what a player of the caliber above could do for this team this season, with an outside chance of them remaining here at the very least, it's that I'm very comfortable with our crop of guards we have currently, so willing to make a deal for Rondo for a player I might not have considered were he healthy this year. That's really not the case with Sully and our big man situation.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 10:12:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Having trouble finding who could be had or who has been rumored that could be had with Sullinger, so I'd need to see some examples. But it's questionable.

Let's say Sullinger, Melo, and Barbosa for JJ Hickson or Mozgov.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Let's say Sullinger, Melo, and Barbosa for JJ Hickson or Mozgov.

Of course you do the Hickson deal, that's a no brainer. Don't care for Mozgov, so no. Don't think he's enough value for Sully vs. what he would contribute for us this year, something that might be available around without having to do a trade.