Author Topic: I like Bradley as a starting PG moving forward  (Read 6074 times)

Re: I like Bradley as a starting PG moving forward
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I really like Bradley, but he cannot be a main type of guy that other teams prepare or gameplan for.

We need higher talent than that, IMO.

Bradley should be a guy that can sneak in and do damage. He should not be one of our primary offensive options.

Avery's greatest asset is that other teams will underestimate his abilities.

I think I already said... you're not winning a title with Bradley at PG unless Bradley is our 5th best starter.  Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying Bradley is a "better point guard" than Rondo.  Rondo is better.  I'm not saying Bradley is someone you build a team around... he's merely a roleplayer.  I'm just saying, personally, I'm comfortable with having a role player at PG.  We should focus all of our energy on finding an elite big man and an elite scorer.  We aren't winning a title with Rondo as the top dog.  Meanwhile, Bradley is a nice one-trick pony who will be nice to have defending the league's scoring point guards.  Find some scorers and run the offense through them... that's what most champions do.

I feel like the consensus from this thread is that we should trade them both.  Rondo's skills aren't crucial to a championship... Bradley's too limited to rely on.  Lets squeeze every bit of value we can out of both of them then.   

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
But, we have gotten to a game seven of the finals and game  seven of the ECF against the best team in the league because they were missing their starting PF/C.
Here, fixed that for you  ;D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2013, 02:49:13 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I really like Bradley, but he cannot be a main type of guy that other teams prepare or gameplan for.

We need higher talent than that, IMO.

Bradley should be a guy that can sneak in and do damage. He should not be one of our primary offensive options.

Avery's greatest asset is that other teams will underestimate his abilities.

I think I already said... you're not winning a title with Bradley at PG unless Bradley is our 5th best starter.  Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying Bradley is a "better point guard" than Rondo.  Rondo is better.  I'm not saying Bradley is someone you build a team around... he's merely a roleplayer.  I'm just saying, personally, I'm comfortable with having a role player at PG.  We should focus all of our energy on finding an elite big man and an elite scorer.  We aren't winning a title with Rondo as the top dog.  Meanwhile, Bradley is a nice one-trick pony who will be nice to have defending the league's scoring point guards.  Find some scorers and run the offense through them... that's what most champions do.

I feel like the consensus from this thread is that we should trade them both.  Rondo's skills aren't crucial to a championship... Bradley's too limited to rely on.  Lets squeeze every bit of value we can out of both of them then.

It seems to me that you are in a minority of those who feel that "Rondo's skills aren't crucial to a championship."  There's certainly no consensus on the matter.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
But, we have gotten to a game seven of the finals and game  seven of the ECF against the best team in the league because they were missing their starting PF/C.

I know you're just trying to be cute, but please don't edit my posts without my permission.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 03:00:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I know you're just trying to be cute, but please don't edit my posts without my permission.
I didn't edit your post -- I'm not a moderator (and wouldn't do it if I were, either). But my own post is a fair game :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2013, 03:02:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Two things that are slightly conflicting.

#1 - Is there a position more overrated in this league than point guard?  You clearly don't need an elite point guard to win a championship.  In fact, I just went back year-by-year to see if there was a single team that won a title due to having an "Elite Distributor".  SHocking... none of them do.  I had to go back to 1990 to find a single champion who had a PG averaging over 8 assists... and not surprisingly that was Isiah Thomas (who also happened to be the Pistons leading scorer):

2012 - Mario Chalmers - 11 points, 4 assists
2011 - Washed up 37 year old Jason Kidd - 9 points 7 assists
2010 - Derek Fisher - 10 points, 2.5 assists
2009 - Derek Fisher - 10 points, 2.8 assists
2008 - 4th wheel 22 year old rondo - 11 points, 7 assists
2007 - Parker - 20 points, 5.5 assists
2006 - J-Will - 9 points, 4 assists
2005 - Parker - 17 points, 4 assists
2004 - Billups - 16 points, 6 assists
2003 - Parker - 15 points, 3.5 assists
2002 - Fisher - 10 points, 3 assists
2001 - Fisher - 13 points, 3 assists
2000 - Ron Harper, I guess -   8 points 3 assists
1999 - Avery Johnson  - 12 points, 7.4 assists
1998 - Ron Harper  6 points 2 assists
1997 - Ron Harper -  7 points, 3 assists
1996 - Ron Harper - 7 points, 3 assists
1995 - Kenny Smith - 10 points 4 assists
1994 - Kenny Smith - 10 points, 4 assists
1993 - BJ Armstrong - 11 points 3 assists
1992 - John Paxson - 8 points, 3 assists
1991 - John Paxson - 8 points, 3 assists
1990 - Isiah Thomas - 20.5 points, 8 assists

If Rondo (or Ray or Perk) had been healthier in the finals we'd have won the title in 2010. Obviously we can win a title with Rondo. Since we have him and we've seen we can be contenders with him the question you should be asking is whether we're more  likely to win a title with that "2010 model" around Rondo or to win a title by getting the Jordan/LeBron/TD/Hakeem/Shaq/Kobe type of player that those teams had. Because, sure, if you can get one of those players then I'd agree we don't need Rondo.
We can win a title with Rondo (we have), but not because of Rondo (we haven't).  Elite big men (KG) and elite scorers (Ray and Pierce) win titles in this league.  Not guys who can get a lot of assists.

The only reason we didn't win a title because of Rondo was injuries. It's silly to say that we can get to game 7 of the finals but we can't win. It's even sillier to declare that only elite bigs and scorers can win titles and then claim Rondo can't win a title because you said so.

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2013, 03:05:27 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I didn't edit your post, but I did change your words, and I'll continue to do it whenever I please even though you asked me politely not to.  That's because I'm not a very nice person.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2013, 03:08:29 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Depends on your definition of "fixed" since the Lakers *weren't* missing their starting pf/c.

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2013, 03:10:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If it was up to me, I'm thinking you either trade Rondo for a big (probably have to wait until the offseason when Rondo is closer to being healthy)

I think if you wanted to trade Rondo, you should wait until after he plays some regular-season games.  Probably during a long win streak just after Rondo carries the team to a nationally televised victory with a triple-double against one of the media-anointed title favorites.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2013, 03:27:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
If it was up to me, I'm thinking you either trade Rondo for a big (probably have to wait until the offseason when Rondo is closer to being healthy)

I think if you wanted to trade Rondo, you should wait until after he plays some regular-season games.  Probably during a long win streak just after Rondo carries the team to a nationally televised victory with a triple-double against one of the media-anointed title favorites.

Or you could hold out until he plays like a superstar in the playoffs and leads the team to another deep postseason run, then trade him for some mediocre big because "you win titles with big guys, not little guys".

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2013, 03:33:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I feel Bradley will be a PG moving foward or at least a combo type.  You can really see that his weakness is that he doesn't dribble with his left hand.  They now overplay him for that and essentially take the dribble away from him altogether.

I don't know if it is injury related or what but he will need to be able to dribble with his left hand if he intends to continue to rise.

He's not a great ball handler, not a great passer, not great at running an offense and not always the best decision maker.

Not that that's really a slight, I probably said similar things about Ray when he was here, but right now Lee's more of our pg than Bradley.

I guess I'm watching something different because I see Bradley being asked to carry more of the point guard duties then Lee..and for all the frustration over Bradley's game and ball handling..how many easy layups does Courtney miss? Where are all his great offensive weapons and ball handling skills? I like both players but I don't get the consensus some have that Lee is superior

I didn't say that Lee had better skills than Bradley, just that he seems to be playing more of a pg role than Bradley right now.