Author Topic: The Rebuilding Myth  (Read 3312 times)

Re: The Rebuilding Myth
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 07:27:15 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Da has a record of getting assets and improving the team prior to 2008 season.  That kinds of makes your myth a fact.  He has done it before once, can he do it again?

That's a good point; rebuilding only took Danny 4-5 years the last time around.

To add on to the fact, DA was handed Garnett... which is essentially the "rebuild" we're discussing.

if by "handed" you mean "traded in exchange for a number of carefully accumulated assets," then yes.

All of which proved absolutely worthless, save Jefferson - who still can't guard a chair - and the 5th pick.

"Carefully accumulated."

SMH. The fallacy that Ainge traded value for Garnett and Allen is one of the greatest myths in the history of this board.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:35:42 AM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 07:47:08 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Da has a record of getting assets and improving the team prior to 2008 season.  That kinds of makes your myth a fact.  He has done it before once, can he do it again?

To add on to the fact, DA was handed Garnett... which is essentially the "rebuild" we're discussing.

if by "handed" you mean "traded in exchange for a number of carefully accumulated assets," then yes.

All of which proved absolutely worthless, save Jefferson - who still can't guard a chair - and the 5th pick.

"Carefully accumulated."

SMH. The fallacy that Ainge traded value for Garnett and Allen is one of the greatest myths in the history of this board.

I doesn't really matter what you think of the assets that Ainge traded away in 2007.  What matters is that what he got back certainly proved not to be worthless. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 08:09:16 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

"Carefully accumulated."

I doesn't really matter what you think of the assets that Ainge traded away in 2007.  What matters is that what he got back certainly proved not to be worthless.

At the time it had great value. If he hadnt piled those assets together then we wouldnt have gotten KG. Just because they didnt turn out to be great NBA players didnt me at the time they didnt have potential to in fact become great players.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 09:05:22 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
deandre jordan has virtually no upside left.... an asset needs room to grow...

I agree.

What is he going to add?  A jump shot?  Legit post moves?  Give me a break.

"Carefully accumulated."

Value is not assigned in retrospect.

The value was there when the trade was made.  Hence the trade was made.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 01:02:54 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

And remember, Danny had Pierce already on the roster when he was doing this. If the C's dump KG/Pierce now for assets, who is the next Pierce that Danny builds around...as I've stated before, it's not Rondo.

The task this time is to do it the SA (old Celtics) way...add youth to your aging stars and hope to grow one or more of them into stars to replace those that retire.

Yes, you might "flip" an aging star, but only for a rising star, not for role players.  Role players you always "flip" for upgrades hoping that eventually you can combine several "assets" for a good young star.

That's how teams successfully rebuild...or reload. That's how the old Celtics did it, it's how LA has been doing it. Of course, there will be mistakes...Howard looks like a mistake now for LA...but if you're doing it right even your mistakes can still be used as assets to keep "flipping" until you get a hit.

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

And remember, Danny had Pierce already on the roster when he was doing this. If the C's dump KG/Pierce now for assets, who is the next Pierce that Danny builds around...as I've stated before, it's not Rondo.

The task this time is to do it the SA (old Celtics) way...add youth to your aging stars and hope to grow one or more of them into stars to replace those that retire.

Yes, you might "flip" an aging star, but only for a rising star, not for role players.  Role players you always "flip" for upgrades hoping that eventually you can combine several "assets" for a good young star.

That's how teams successfully rebuild...or reload. That's how the old Celtics did it, it's how LA has been doing it. Of course, there will be mistakes...Howard looks like a mistake now for LA...but if you're doing it right even your mistakes can still be used as assets to keep "flipping" until you get a hit.

Why cant it be Rondo? If we keep Rondo and turn our assets into KG and Ray Allen like competitors you dont think we would be just as much of a contender with the games top 2 point point guard a star wing and a star big man?

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183

"Carefully accumulated."

Jefferson had unbelievable value back then. His first season with Minnesota, he was 23 and averaged 21 points and 11 rebounds. At that point, the only players to have those averages at 23 or younger in the post merger NBA were Moses Malone, Olajuwon, Barkley, Shaq, Duncan and KG.

Of course, because of injuries and because of playing for bad teams with bad coaches, he never reached his potential. But the potential was there, at the time, to make him an extremely valuable asset.

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

Why cant it be Rondo? If we keep Rondo and turn our assets into KG and Ray Allen like competitors you dont think we would be just as much of a contender with the games top 2 point point guard a star wing and a star big man?

That's right, I don't think that.

First, although Rondo is a very good player, I still think he is a "complementary" player, more Pippen than Jordan to use an unfair comparison. To me, Rondo would be the next iteration's Perkins, not the next iteration's Pierce. Oh, a much better player than Perk, but still that level...needed but not necessary.

Secondly, Rondo's position and his skill set works against him. Name the PG that was the best player on  his team and lead his team to a series of championships? I think you could make an argument for Magic Johnson although I still think Jabbar was those team's best player, but even so, he's the only PG I can bring to mind. Championship teams need a top 5 *wing* or *big*... preferably both. Rondo is neither.

Rondo is a "very important asset" and I wouldn't be surprised if DA holds on to him tightly. Still, though, I think Danny would trade Rondo in a heartbeat for a star wing or big.  You choose: Rondo for Durant? Rondo for LBJ? Rondo for Griffin? Rondo for Howard? Rondo for Harden?

Edit: Having trouble with the attributions...sorry.