Author Topic: I do not like Josh Smith on the Celtics  (Read 1014 times)

I do not like Josh Smith on the Celtics
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »

Offline BIGTIME_CELTICS

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
I live in ATL, so I get to watch him play a lot. He is a good player, a tweener like Jeff Green, but a very good one.

The Celtics does not need any tweener. Those tweeners are better off coming off the bench. Dude is 6'9, 225 lbs. Short and light for PF, as he always gets outmuscled by opposing bigs. His foot speed isnt quite there with likes of Lebron or even Kevin Durant. Two most annoying for me is that
1. he shoots long 2s at a low percentage n kept shooting with like 20 secs to go
2. Does not know where to go sometimes, just hanging out there on offense.

He uses his athletic ability and crafty ball handling skills to make up for his game, and he uses them well against lesser opponents.

Upside: underrated passer on open court and ball handler, athletic, block shots, good help defender

Downside: low basketball IQ, bad shot selection, tweener, bad free throw shooter, turnover machine, basically zero go-to move in the post.

I dont think Celtics would want that. I call no trade

Re: I do not like Josh Smith on the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Never liked Smith's game.  I just think he makes a lot of bad decisions that have a deflating affect on his teammates (and annoy me - even though he's playing for the Celt's opposition).
Yup

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:48:05 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
The question is, what would the trade be? 

People keep kicking around Pierce's name, but I don't see how that appeals to Atlanta at all.  If the goal is to get something for Josh Smith, Pierce isn't the answer.  They might as well just let him walk. 

Thus, assuming DA doesn't give up Rondo, it'd have to be some combination of Green, Terry, Lee, and Bass to make the salaries work, with likely a sweetener or two thrown in. 

If Atlanta is willing to do that, I'd do it in a hearbeat.  I'd throw in Sully as a sweetener too, because quite frankly, if we are able to sign Smith long term, Sully's value goes down significantly.  I would, however, like to hold onto Bradley, since it'd give us a killer line-up next year with Rondo, Bradley, Pierce, Smith, and KG. 

The other appeal is that a core of Pierce, Smith, and KG this year might actually make some noise in the playoffs right now.  And that certainly means something. 

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 05:00:57 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I prey the guy is never wears Green. He and Rondo together would be an explosively bad situation.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I'd have faith that under better coaching he would fix some of his problems. especially if KG is here

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 05:37:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
As a rental for the rest of the year (not losing KG or Pierce) I am all for it. 

Increases the talent level this year.  Clear some of the mid range contracts in the future.

Would not resign him.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 05:40:17 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Agreed...I'm not sure why everyone (for the most part) is so in love with the idea of josh Smith here....woooooo! So we can be like the hawks and be first round playoff fodder for the next decade? Yawn..just don't think he and rondo are a great combo despite being buds

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 05:40:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
the thing about Smith is... from everything I hear, he wants to play in Boston.  That's not that common.  He seems like he really likes the idea of playing here.  I wonder if that's going to come into play this week... are teams going to be willing to give up a lot for Smith without the assurance he will re-sign?    Boston knows he'll re-sign. 

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 05:54:47 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Agreed...I'm not sure why everyone (for the most part) is so in love with the idea of josh Smith here....woooooo! So we can be like the hawks and be first round playoff fodder for the next decade? Yawn..just don't think he and rondo are a great combo despite being buds

The Hawks don't have Rondo.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 05:56:48 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

exactly, but any potential move getting us Smith without giving up rondo leaves us with a future core that gets no further in the playoffs then the hawks the last decade.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 08:34:43 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

exactly, but any potential move getting us Smith without giving up rondo leaves us with a future core that gets no further in the playoffs then the hawks the last decade.

I'm not convinced that's true.  If we can get Smith for Green and Bass, I like a young core of Rondo, Bradley, Smith, and Sullinger going forward.  Obviously, that's not a complete roster, but it gives you a good base to build on. 

Heck, maybe we even get lucky and Fab Melo develops into a legitimate starting center. 

Although, to be honest, I don't hate that same core if we just keep Green and don't acquire Smith.

I remain highly conflicted heading into this trade deadline. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson