Author Topic: Bulpett article with deeper Ainge quotes on potentially quiet deadline  (Read 2111 times)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/celtics_insider/2013/02/ainge_doubtful_celts_can_make_deal

Sounds like they're buyers not sellers. I still wonder about potential Rondo deals, but understand why they likely won't happen.

Side note: I suspect the Cs will try to get under the tax threshold. Example... if they could trade Melo for a late 1st, I believe they'd do it.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Bulpett article with deeper Ainge quotes on potentially quiet deadline
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 04:13:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/celtics_insider/2013/02/ainge_doubtful_celts_can_make_deal

Sounds like they're buyers not sellers. I still wonder about potential Rondo deals, but understand why they likely won't happen.

Side note: I suspect the Cs will try to get under the tax threshold. Example... if they could trade Melo for a late 1st, I believe they'd do it.

I read that as posturing to other GM's.  Especially these lines at the end:

"My first choice is always to try to win now, especially when you have unique players like KG and Paul," added Ainge. "That’s always the best option. But the injuries have at least allowed me to ponder other possibilities. It’s still going to be tough to convince me that’s what we need to do."

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:14:39 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I think Ainge's comment about "I'm not giving Sullinger away for free because he's hurt" was referring to teams trying to talk him into making a giveaway deal to get them under.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 04:22:21 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I think Ainge's comment about "I'm not giving Sullinger away for free because he's hurt" was referring to teams trying to talk him into making a giveaway deal to get them under.

Well they wouldn't trade Sully for nothing because he's good. But I'd venture they'd trade a lesser piece if it meant they'd avoid paying the luxury tax.

I know they like Barbosa and would rather not ship him out (even when hurt), but he's another possibility.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 04:24:03 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I read it kind of differently.  I heard Ainge say that he wants to win now, but the injuries have put doubt in his head which has given rise to investigating 'blow up' trades.  Doesn't feel those deals are good enough (good timing to get this out there as a negotiation tactic to get better offers) and ultimately feels that we will do some tinkering to get this team more competitive for a playoff run.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 04:27:07 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I read it kind of differently.  I heard Ainge say that he wants to win now, but the injuries have put doubt in his head which has given rise to investigating 'blow up' trades.  Doesn't feel those deals are good enough (good timing to get this out there as a negotiation tactic to get better offers) and ultimately feels that we will do some tinkering to get this team more competitive for a playoff run.

Sure I think that's a fair assessment. Not a done deal that Celtics won't be sellers, but as he says, easier said than done.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 05:04:19 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
One thing I havent seen is any curiousity if Pierce is willing to take a pay cut next year for the team as KG did this year. This has got to have an effect going forward on Danny's roster building or rebuilding. We need to add a piece or two but this payroll is pretty cumbersome. I just dont have many expectations of getting a major deal done.

That said, it wont be for a lack of effort on Danny's part.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
I think the key is KG...if he says yes then we are sellers!!!!

I honestly don't see how DA thinks that this team even without a true PG makes noise in the post season.
Maybe his hands are tied between Wyc and KG.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 05:13:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
lets get back to ball and quit trying to give away hall of fame Celtics for mediocre non star players.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
One thing I havent seen is any curiousity if Pierce is willing to take a pay cut next year for the team as KG did this year. This has got to have an effect going forward on Danny's roster building or rebuilding. We need to add a piece or two but this payroll is pretty cumbersome. I just dont have many expectations of getting a major deal done.

Pierce can't take a pay-cut next year, maybe after next year.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 05:48:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Pierce can't take a pay-cut next year, maybe after next year.

He could I think.  The Celtics could waive him at the end of the season, paying him $5 million.  Assuming he did not get claimed on waivers, he could then be re-signed, although I'm not sure if he could receive more than the minimum salary (and of course the $5 million he's guaranteed) unless signed with some other exception (BAE, MLE).  Mind you, I doubt that would happen, but I don't think it's impermissible.

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 07:05:01 PM »

Offline btabakin

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
I honestly don't put much faith or credibility in these quotes. What is Danny supposed to say? "I'm trying to trade Pierce and KG."?

If he said that he wouldn't get any offers for them. No GM will ever say they're trying to trade for a player.

This week honestly reminds me of 2011. There was a lot of talk, then rumors died down and then on Thursday we traded Perk.

Something big is coming.