Author Topic: What would you like to see by Thursday @ 3:01  (Read 5424 times)

Re: What would you like to see by Thursday @ 3:01
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 04:01:34 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Green and pieces out and Al Jefferson in.

Don't expect it to actually happen, but it is what I would like to see. 

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »

Offline DoubleDip

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Bucks might be one of the few teams willing to sign him to a max contract. Depends if money is his biggest factor.

Only thing helping the Celtics is if he isn't promising to sign long term with any other team except for them (like Melo and the Knicks) and doing it off the front page. That and his reputation could be making the offers weaker.

Seems like a longshot. When Danny's in the news nothing seems to happen. When there is no news is usually when he seems to be working.

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 04:05:22 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Also, I wouldn't mind seeing the following guys leave for similar talent on shorter contracts:

Green
Terry
Bass
Lee

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 04:05:33 PM »

Offline DoubleDip

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
What would I like to see at 3:01 on Thursday?

A thread titled "Why Didn't Danny get Smith?"

Both ESPN's Chris Broussard and CBS' Ken Berger are reporting that the Bucks and Hawks are talking about a trade involving Monta Ellis and Josh Smith.
The Hawks reportedly think that Ellis and Jeff Teague would mesh well together in their backcourt. The Bucks, meanwhile, have bigger plans up their sleeve. If they can pry Smith from the Hawks, they'd perhaps then try to trade defensive stopper Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and a pick to the Magic for J.J. Redick. That would leave them with a very solid starting five of Brandon Jennings, Redick, Ersan Ilyasova, Smith and Larry Sanders. It's a potential deal to monitor as the Hawks weigh their options ahead of Thursday's deadline.

Source: CBS Sports

I think if bucks pull out of deal. We have a better shot

Can you see JSmoove agreeing to sign longterm in Milwaukee? I can't.

Howewver, Bucks may be willing to take the chance on a rental. Not sure, though, that the Bucks would do that.

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 04:07:31 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
SOMETHING!

The whole idea of trying to win a title with what we have now is ludicrous! Does anyone on this board think we can go almost a third of the season that's left without a single significant injury to one of our top 8 players??? What if KG or AB or another starter ends up with a high ankle sprain or pulled hammy, and misses 2,3,or 4 weeks. Then your'e counting on Collins, TWilliams, or Melo for MAJOR minutes!? Seriously?  And you haven't even thrown in the playoffs yet--another 25 games at least!  55 games, unscathed!!! You guys push the word optimist to the extreme,extreme! I guess greater miracles have happened. So I hope one day to do a fan post and apologize to all of you who had greater faith than I!!!! ;)

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 04:09:09 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
SOMETHING!

The whole idea of trying to win a title with what we have now is ludicrous! Does anyone on this board think we can go almost a third of the season that's left without a single significant injury to one of our top 8 players??? What if KG or AB or another starter ends up with a high ankle sprain or pulled hammy, and misses 2,3,or 4 weeks. Then your'e counting on Collins, TWilliams, or Melo for MAJOR minutes!? Seriously?  And you haven't even thrown in the playoffs yet--another 25 games at least!  55 games, unscathed!!! You guys push the word optimist to the extreme,extreme! I guess greater miracles have happened. So I hope one day to do a fan post and apologize to all of you who had greater faith than I!!!! ;)

To many of the rumors I have seen have the Celtics taking back bad contracts for decent talent, not build around talent.

I rather see the team play it out and let contracts come off the book instead of clogging future cap for "nice players"

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Can you see JSmoove agreeing to sign longterm in Milwaukee? I can't.

I can see him signing long-term in Milwaukee if they give him a max contract, especially if they structure the roster to make him the clear first option on offense.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 04:26:21 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
What would I like to see at 3:01 on Thursday?

A thread titled "Why Didn't Danny get Smith?"

That would be sweet.

I don't think we're gonna get fair value on any of the proposed trades. Smith isn't a difference making big, remember last season against the Celtics and the huge difference Al Horford made for the Hawks in that series compared to him.

Bass for Mozgov+Randolph works for me. Start Green and have Mozgov as KG's backup. Use Wilcox/Randolph to spell Green. Of course, Bass is a better player than either Mozgov or Randolph, but the Celtics problem is not their starting PF, they struggle whenever KG is on the bench because of the lack of a defensive big. If Denver is willing to do that trade, the Celtics can trade also Barbosa for a traded player exception in order to reduce their cap (1.2M from Denver + 0.8 for Barbosa... Idk if prorated) and get a roster spot for another waiver wire/FA signing.

I hope KG/PP/Green/Rondo/Sully/Bradley/Lee/Terry/Wilcox are still with the team when they play Phoenix on Friday.

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Chris Broussard @Chris_Broussard
 In trying to move J Smith, ATL called LAC and asked about Bledsoe. Short conversation. Clips not really interested in trading for Smith.

So is ATL looking for a pg like ellis.

I hope more teams start to pull out for smith

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 04:56:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Also, I wouldn't mind seeing the following guys leave for similar talent on shorter contracts:

Green
Terry
Bass
Lee

I wouldn't even mind if we're not getting back "similar talent."

If Danny isn't willing or doesn't find a deal worth making that sends out KG and Pierce, he should definitely look to unload future salary.

The worst case scenario is that DA does nothing and we're left with a first or second round skidmark for a team and a lot of money on the books over the next few years for role players with little to no upside.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 05:01:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't consider 2 more years "a lot of years left", and ideally "upgrade" is more of a roster notion, than a player vs. player notion. If you can grab a center of comparable talent, then that's an upgrade for the team.
You swap your starting PF for a backup C and that's a roster upgrade? Because Garnett isn't going back to PF, and you're still one big man short even after this swap.

What?

There are plenty of PF/C types, or at least PF with more length than Bass. And KG can very well move to PF if needed be. Don't see the problem with that at all.
Who is out there that makes around what Bass makes, has a team willing to take on salary, and wants to move a rotation caliber player?

No clue. Just saying, if the option is out there, you do it. If not, I'm content with staying pat.
If its not an option you can actually craft a scenario for then why bring it up? That tells me there is no such option.

I'd like to see Pierce + Melo + Picks for LBJ. That's the sort of deal that "upgrades" Bass, one that the other team wants no part of.
I'm sorry, but this is simply an absurd straw-man that has little to no relation to anything I've said in this thread.

Sorry if I'm not bothering by wasting my time to satisfy your curiousity by coming up with a specific scenario, that hinges on me knowing the specific plans of certain GMs and owners and how they envision how certain players fit into those plans, or don't fit for that matter.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 05:11:41 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 05:42:57 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Bradley/Lowry
Lee/Williams/Redick
Pierce/Green/Williams
Smith/Green/Wilcox
KG/Collins/Wilcox

Ship out: Rondo, Melo, Bass, Terry, draft picks
Receive: Smith, Redick, Lowry
Keep:  Sullinger, Barbosa
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Kg still a Celtic...

Bout it

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 05:49:27 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
not interested in breaking up the core, just adding some front court depth from the buy out list.

Lamar Odom would be ideal

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 05:56:10 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Bradley/Lowry
Lee/Williams/Redick
Pierce/Green/Williams
Smith/Green/Wilcox
KG/Collins/Wilcox

Ship out: Rondo, Melo, Bass, Terry, draft picks
Receive: Smith, Redick, Lowry
Keep:  Sullinger, Barbosa

If you trade out Rondo then there's no way Smith will sign with you.  They are very close and Smith wouldn't be happy.