Author Topic: What would you like to see by Thursday @ 3:01  (Read 5425 times)

What would you like to see by Thursday @ 3:01
« on: February 19, 2013, 02:46:12 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
So we know the deadline is Thursday at 3. So tell me what do you want the Celtics to look like at 3:01. Or what they will look like. I hope they look something like this.

Bradley/Terry
Lee/Williams
Pierce/Williams/ Soon to be vet. pick up
Smith/Wilcox
KG/Wilcox/Collins.

Would also like to pick K-mart up in there. So tell me what do you think we look like after Thursdays deadline.

Re: What would you like to see by Thursday @ 3:01
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Really nothing, but if we can get an upgrade on Bass, I'm all for  it.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 02:50:18 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Well I am banking on the Hawks becoming desperate to make a move. Just read on realgm that sources tell yahoo sports that Bucks intend to keep Jennings and Monta. So that probably takes another deal off the table for the Hawks.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
One or both of the following (no particular order of preference)

1. KG and Pierce shipped out for younger assets with significant future trade value.

2. Bass, Terry, Lee, and Green (any or all) traded for expirings and minor assets (late 1st or 2nd round picks, young projects on rookie deals, etc).

3. Bradley and Sullinger still on the team, except in the very unlikely scenario that they are sent out in a trade for a young player with All-Star potential (e.g. Cousins).

I'd like to see Danny make at least one or two moves that will put the team in a better position moving forward, salary-wise or roster-wise.  Both would be ideal.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
So we know the deadline is Thursday at 3. So tell me what do you want the Celtics to look like at 3:01. Or what they will look like. I hope they look something like this.

Bradley/Terry
Lee/Williams
Pierce/Williams/ Soon to be vet. pick up
Smith/Wilcox
KG/Wilcox/Collins.

Would also like to pick K-mart up in there. So tell me what do you think we look like after Thursdays deadline.

need a big, BIGTIME. I am not crazy about smith. But it is what it is. We'll see what happens thursday.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 02:58:34 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I want to see no major trades.  Maybe a mild deal that doesn't send out anyone in the rotation but finds an upgrade on Wilcox/Collins as a third big behind KG and Bass in the rotation.  My preference is to see those empty roster spots filled by players on ten-day contracts.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:01:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
What are you going to give up to get an upgrade for Bass? Bass himself?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 03:06:08 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Of course. You can add Barbosa, Collins/Wilcox to the deal and a pick if needed be, and you can unburden a team from a player they might not have future plans for, but is either too costly for them at the moment, or in a bad long contract, or is expiring and they see a bit of value on retaining Bass and getting a pick for their troubles.

That said, I'm ambivalent about trading Bass at the moment. Was in a bigger "hurry" to trade him while Sully was healthy, now not so much.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Of course. You can add Barbosa, Collins/Wilcox to the deal and a pick if needed be, and you can unburden a team from a player they might not have future plans for, but is either too costly for them at the moment, or in a bad long contract, or is expiring and they see a bit of value on retaining Bass and getting a pick for their troubles.

That said, I'm ambivalent about trading Bass at the moment. Was in a bigger "hurry" to trade him while Sully was healthy, now not so much.
How many PFs who are superior to Bass are available for that package? I'd guess none when you consider that Bass's deal has a lot of years left on it.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 03:10:15 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

How many PFs who are superior to Bass are available for that package? I'd guess none when you consider that Bass's deal has a lot of years left on it.

I don't consider 2 more years "a lot of years left", and ideally "upgrade" is more of a roster notion, than a player vs. player notion. If you can grab a center of comparable talent, then that's an upgrade for the team.

It's a better fit for Green, it's a better fit for Wilcox, could potentially be a better fit for KG.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

There are multiple problems with this:

(1) You can't really take in more salary than you ship out under our hard cap reality.

(2) Without adding in a rotation player, you can maybe add 1.5 million to Bass' salary (and that's a stretch).

(3) Bass is already on a long contract. He's not a fit with a team who wants to shed salary.

(4) You want the player to actually be an upgrade over Bass.

I don't see all of these happening at all, no matter how many picks you throw in.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 03:11:20 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I know Bass hasn't played all that well this year, so far, but I find it hard to believe you're going to get anyone better in a trade for him.

What do I want to see at 3:01 Thursday? Same team we have now with two more victories.

Later, if a serviceable big man is waived, Danny can kick the tires on him, or another guy from the D League can be signed to a 10 day. Let's make another run with this team!

Edit: But if we go the "blow it up" route...take no prisoners. Go all the way!

Trade everybody for rookie contracts and draft picks...*everybody!* Nobody left on the active roster who is a veteran at all! Take no prisoners, make no exceptions, a complete and utter rebuild. Rondo and Sully are not on the active roster, Melo and Bradley are still on rookie contracts. Some of them may stay, or not, depending upon whoever is left in charge's judgement of their future growth and development. Stock the team with D Leaguers. Don't win another game this year...and not more than 10 next year, and probably not more than 12 the next. Pray to lottery balls.

Oh, and to keep him from dropping dead on you, give Doc a two year leave of absence...or just fire him. Let's see, Wyc should then fire Danny as his last act before selling his interest in the team to Bill Simmons for a buck.

Yeah, that would be the "blow it up" route!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:23:28 PM by erisred »

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

There are multiple problems with this:

(1) You can't really take in more salary than you ship out under our hard cap reality.

(2) Without adding in a rotation player, you can maybe add 1.5 million to Bass' salary (and that's a stretch).

(3) Bass is already on a long contract. He's not a fit with a team who wants to shed salary.

(4) You want the player to actually be an upgrade over Bass.

I don't see all of these happening at all, no matter how many picks you throw in.

1) That's why you include Barbosa and/or Collins/Wilcox

2) See above

3) 2 more season beyond this one is not a long contract. Shedding salary is not the sole motivator, I enumerated a couple of possibilities for the interest.

4) See my post above replying to Fafnir.

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I don't consider 2 more years "a lot of years left", and ideally "upgrade" is more of a roster notion, than a player vs. player notion. If you can grab a center of comparable talent, then that's an upgrade for the team.
You swap your starting PF for a backup C and that's a roster upgrade? Because Garnett isn't going back to PF, and you're still one big man short even after this swap.

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
You swap your starting PF for a backup C and that's a roster upgrade? Because Garnett isn't going back to PF, and you're still one big man short even after this swap.

What?

There are plenty of PF/C types, or at least PF with more length than Bass. And KG can very well move to PF if needed be. Don't see the problem with that at all.