Author Topic: Playoff seeding strategy...how high should C's try to get?  (Read 1569 times)

Playoff seeding strategy...how high should C's try to get?
« on: February 19, 2013, 01:42:01 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
In terms of playoff seedings, it's my impression that the C's ideally remain at the 6 or 7 spot to avoid a matchup with Miami in the 1st round (8th seed) or in the 2nd (as 4th/5th seed). So should the Celtics worry about this at all or just continue to play as good as possible and move up as much as possible -- though, I doubt they will be able to acquire home court and they've shown it's not really important to their playoff chances. I suppose they're going to have play Miami at some point, so maybe in the 2nd round when the C's have fresher legs might be better than in Conf Finals? Thoughts? Do you think this will impact their game/rest strategies (particularly down the stretch) even the slightest?

Re: Playoff seeding strategy...how high should C's try to get?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
3rd or 6th
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I like not 8.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 01:55:24 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
What is our goal? To play as many home games as possible so ownership can make money?

If the goal is a championship, you are going through Miami. I personally wouldn't care when we face them, and would probably prefer to get it over with sooner rather than later. The longer the Heat at, the more likely they are to get into a groove and the refs smelling a repeat for them making LBJ virtually untouchable.

I'd love to see us win 70% of our remaining games and make a run at the Knicks, but if not, the 4 seed, 8 seed, doesn't matter. Play good team basketball and be as healthy as possible for the playoffs. Last year we had a hobbled Ray going in and within games an injured Pierce and Bradley out.

I think we match up better than anyone with Miami. We have all the right defenders for New York. I'd try to avoid Chicago, mainly because of Thibs. He knows us too well. Indy and Brooklyn could be annoying, but they aren't scary. Hawks/Sixers/Bucks are no threat to me.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Just play it out as hard as they can without overplaying the veterans.  There is no need to not try to win games to avoid Miami in the first or second round.  Would you rather have the Celtics play Miami in the first round or the ECF?  Either way, they need to plan to get through Miami and I would rather it be early when the team is fresher.  Pierce looked exhausted at the end of the ECF last year.

If winning our games puts us in a seed that plays Miami earlier, so be it.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 02:09:47 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
does not matter really. might be better to play them in the 2nd round and hope they get knocked out in the 1st. that way, if they do not get knocked out we are not as tired in the second round compared to the 3rd.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
i'd like to be 4th...but I also like 7th to get the knicks.

and who knows...if we're at full strength round 1, we might be ok taking the heatles first up.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Number 8 seed...to face the Heat in round 1. Heeeh  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 02:54:22 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
if we beat the heatles in the 1st round, every other team would suddenly be scared of us, the dark horse in the east.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I like the idea of homecourt advantage.