Author Topic: Former NBA GM Says to replace Jordan with Odom's expiring in a KG deal  (Read 6210 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Not sure who the guy is, but they have had him on sports center before, and he is a former memphis GM I believe.

He was saying a trade of

Bos sends: KG
LAC send : Bledsoe, Odom ( exiring) and a 1st

makes more sense because Bledsoe is the key guy that Boston wants, and they don't get Jordans big contract, instead an expiring and a pick.

I was thinking what if you expanded it to do a 3 way where the c's would get Josh Smith

Bos sends: KG and 1st rd pick
Bos gets : Josh Smith and Bledsoe

Lac sends: Bledsoe, Odom and 1st rd pick
Lac gets : KG

Atlanta sends: Josh Smith
Atlanta gets : Odom(expiring), bos 1st rd pick, clipers 1st rd pick

Bos gets two young building blocks
Clippers get kg and keep Jordan
Atlanta clears cap space and picks up two first round picks

Re: Former NBA GM Says to replace Joran with Odom's expiring in a KG deal
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 12:28:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Boston can always trade D.Jordan for an expiring + additional assets in a subsequent move.

Take D.Jordan.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Boston can always trade D.Jordan for an expiring + additional assets in a subsequent move.

Take D.Jordan.

Yeah, I would think that Jordan has some value in a 3-way. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Former NBA GM Says to replace Jordan with Odom's expiring in a KG deal
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 12:34:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Not sure who the guy is, but they have had him on sports center before, and he is a former memphis GM I believe.

He was saying a trade of

Bos sends: KG
LAC send : Bledsoe, Odom ( exiring) and a 1st

makes more sense because Bledsoe is the key guy that Boston wants, and they don't get Jordans big contract, instead an expiring and a pick.

I was thinking what if you expanded it to do a 3 way where the c's would get Josh Smith

Bos sends: KG and 1st rd pick
Bos gets : Josh Smith and Bledsoe

Lac sends: Bledsoe, Odom and 1st rd pick
Lac gets : KG

Atlanta sends: Josh Smith
Atlanta gets : Odom(expiring), bos 1st rd pick, clipers 1st rd pick

Bos gets two young building blocks
Clippers get kg and keep Jordan
Atlanta clears cap space and picks up two first round picks

I'm almost 100% certain this deal as constructed would put us over the hard cap.  I don't think including an injured Barbosa would help enough, either, but it would get us closer.

Also, KG's contract can only bring back 14,557,831 in salary.  Bledsoe+Smith is $14.9 mil.  That could, however, be fixed by including Barbosa.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:36:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Take D.Jordan.

A deal including Jordan was bad (mostly because of Jordan's contract). A deal including Odom is worse.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Take D.Jordan.

Only reason to do that instead of Jordan is if Danny is convinced he can get enough cap room to get an impact FA this coming offseason. Otherwise why not take Jordan?

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:50:44 PM by wdleehi »

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 12:42:08 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Take D.Jordan.

Only reason to do that instead of Jordan is if Danny is convinced he can get enough cap room to get an impact FA this coming offseason. Otherwise why not take Jordan?

Maybe the Clips won't give them both up....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Really don't want to trade KG just for an expiring. I think Danny knows its harder to sell players on us rather than getting talent from a trade. There is no guarantee that we sign good FA's with the cap space. So no thanks. Rather ride it out or get Deandre and get Bledsoe.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 12:43:23 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Take D.Jordan.

A deal including Jordan was bad (mostly because of Jordan's contract). A deal including Odom is worse.

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that trading KG for Bledsoe/Odom is a non-starter, even with a 1st thrown in.

Mike

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 12:47:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Take D.Jordan.

I don't know.  To me it would depend on how many picks the Clippers are willing to send along if Odom was included instead of Jordan, especially if a first rounder was for 2014.  Also, it could depend what else you're trading.  If Pierce is also heading out (which seems likely in a universe where KG is traded), and you're also able to clear out Bass and Terry, for primarily players on rookie deals, expirings, and draft picks, you could create enough flexibility next off-season to make a run at a major free agent.  In that case, Jordan's contract would definitely be a drag, because then you have to get involved with sign-and-trades, instead of just getting the player directly from free agency.  That first bit of expiring contract isn't very valuable at all from the Celtics vantage point, but if combined with other deals, could become quite valuable indeed.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 12:47:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Take D.Jordan.

Maybe the Clips won't give them both up....
Then you hang up on them. We're not getting a high enough lottery pick to be worth tanking at this point.

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Take D.Jordan.

That's what She said Roy!!  ;)

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Take D.Jordan.

I don't know.  To me it would depend on how many picks the Clippers are willing to send along if Odom was included instead of Jordan, especially if a first rounder was for 2014.  Also, it could depend what else you're trading.  If Pierce is also heading out (which seems likely in a universe where KG is traded), and you're also able to clear out Bass and Terry, for primarily players on rookie deals, expirings, and draft picks, you could create enough flexibility next off-season to make a run at a major free agent.  In that case, Jordan's contract would definitely be a drag, because then you have to get involved with sign-and-trades, instead of just getting the player directly from free agency.  That first bit of expiring contract isn't very valuable at all from the Celtics vantage point, but if combined with other deals, could become quite valuable indeed.
A Clippers pick is worth next to nothing, given that it's unlikely to be better than the mid 20s.

Also, I'm not sure where you're going with 30+ million committed to Rondo, Green and Jordan. You can't just "clear everyone off the books", you have cap holds, and someone has to actually suit up for the games.

It's just not going to work this way.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."