Author Topic: Marc Spears on WEEI predicts the C's will make KG trade  (Read 16171 times)

Re: Marc Spears on WEEI predicts the C's will make KG trade
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2013, 11:58:25 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50

Would a Rondo/Bass for Eric Gordon/Jason Smith make sense this summer?  It would allow Bledsoe to be starting pg and make Bradley the 3rd guard.

No.  Rondo is the better player.  Keep him, trade Bledsoe.

I like the idea of Rondo running a team with long athletc forwards in Green and Smith.  However, who is going to get you a bucket when you need it most? 

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think DeAndre Jordan needs a top defensive coach to help him fulfill his defensive potential. Vinny Del Negro isn't that guy.

Tyson Chandler greatly benefited from having Scott Skiles early in his career. Skiles molded Tyson into one of the best defensive bigs in the league just like he did with Andrew Bogut in Milwaukee.

DeAndre Jordan needs his own Scott Skiles. It'll make his career.

Any other defensive coaches you think could help him reach his potential?
Thibodeau would be the obvious guy. Popovich. Jeff Van Gundy. Stan Van Gundy.

I would be interested to see what Doc could do with D.Jordan. Pity, it has to be at the cost of KG. Garnett would be more important than Doc in helping D.Jordan improve defensively.

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Well if the lakers don't want to lose dwight for nothing this blockbuster works!

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=bypmsem

Celtics trade: Pierce Garnett Bass
Celtics receive: Howard, Smith, Bledsoe

Lakers trade: Howard
Lakers receive: Jordan Bass

Clippers trade: Bledsoe Jordan
Clippers receive: Garnett

Hawks trade: Smith
Hawks receive: Pierce

You aren't going to get Smith for Pierce.  Pierce is a part of the trade.  The Hawks want long term value for Smith and Peirce doesn't accomplish that. 

Howard for Jordan and Bass isn't going to happen either.That's just not enough value at all.

You basically show us getting the best 2 players plus a potentail elite young PG for 1 year of Pierce and Garnett and a slightly above averge PF.  Good Luck with that... 

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2013, 12:14:52 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
calling BS on this one.  Spears job is to get ratings, not be right...  Done and done

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2013, 12:15:52 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

No.  Rondo is the better player.  Keep him, trade Bledsoe.

Depends of course entirely on what they can get for either or both. Presumably Rondo could fetch quite a bit more when he's healthy.

If the Cs are as high on Bledsoe as reliable reporter like Marc Stein has suggested, my guess is they will wait for some time (which they have due to Rondo's injury) to determine who it makes more sense to move.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Would a Rondo/Bass for Eric Gordon/Jason Smith make sense this summer?

Smith is good buddies with RR, if we get him it's to help and make RR happy.

I love KG but this will be the fastest route to a rebuild.  I just bought my son a KG jersey.  If he doesn't get traded I will be ok, if he does I will be ok.  I love the team not the players.

Next year not the issue!
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »

Offline bballee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18
If this team is broken up (moving Pierce and Garnett) then the makeup of the team, or rather the record of the team, this spring or next year is not the point.  I keep seeing projected lineups for the 13/14 season and worry and complaints thereof.  If this is the de/re-construction, next year (and maybe 14/15) should be viewed as building years--the keys will be asset accumulation, player development, and positioning to resume an elite competitive stance.  If bad contracts are the price of prime potential (players or picks), so be it.  I would even say picks in 2014 through 2016 are better investments than one this year. 

The home run is a down year, or two, rather than a decade.  In this light, position, duplication, and fit are almost irrelevant. 

Another way to look at it is that we are searching for our "new" top three players, and the above average next four.  Eight through 15 types will be of interest only as development/evaluation for those top seven slots in 2015.  Fill in the complementary pieces then, not now.

Once Kevin and Paul are out of the picture (whether now or this summer or next), players like Collins, Terry, Wilcox, and I think Bass also, will be of most use as trading chips to fill the same supporting role on another contender as they did on this one.  If KG and Pierce go out Thursday morning, I'd love for Ainge to move the other four before 3pm.  Guess I'd better cancel Danny's tee time that day.

As long as I'm weighing in, I'll offer another couple of thoughts.  I loved the 10-day signing of Williams.  He's young enough to improve, talented enough to be worth a risk, has fallen enough to perhaps rein in his ego, and fits under either shore up for the playoff run or evaluate for the future.  Also while I am not a fan of Josh Smith and think he is over-paid now much less at a max contract, I do think he might be a good bargaining chip if Danny could re-up him for 15M or less.  The key will be resigning him--wonder if that can be done with the trade?

As sentimentally satisfying as it would be for KG and PP to take a victory lap and retire in Green, if we can't compete for the gold ring then I would rather get something than nothing.  Cap room in two years with a bare cupboard would be of very limited use.  I'd rather have picks and bad contracts that expire then also and two years of winnowing wheat from chafe to re-energize the organization.  My only real feeling of loss would be the mentoring effect into the Celtic way that Pierce and Garnett could bring in their twilight years.

Re: Marc Spears on weei in the 9am hour
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2013, 12:24:29 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Jordan an elite center?

Spears just impeached his credibility with that one.

Yeah. If Jordan were an elite center please tell me how he is not one right now on a team with CP3 and Blake Griffin...

Really hoping he is wrong about this.
It is slim pickings among centers these days, but I don't see how anyone not named Noah, Howard, or Chandler (and maybe Varejao when healthy) can be called "elite" without stretching the term past reasonable credibility.

Jordan is a 24 y/o 6'11" center who is averaging 9/7 in 24 minutes per game. Normally, player's peak years are ~26-31, give or take. Is he "elite" now? No. Could he be "elite" in a year or 3. Yes.

Just remember, at 27 Tyson Chandler did not start for the Bobcat in the playoffs. He averaged only 15 minutes per game. The next season he was a defensive anchor and the starting C for the Dallas team that won the championship. He is now considered one of the top Cs in the league.

IMO, it's a little too early to judge Jordon.

Mk
Chandler was hurt pretty bad that year, remember that he failed his physical preventing him from going to OKC.

He had major injury issues that cost him a lot of his "prime" productive years. When he finally got healthier is when it all came together, his decline this year is likely health related as well.

Indeed.  At age 24, (Jordan's current age), Chandler led the NBA in total rebounding percentage.  While it's true Chandler has still gotten better as a player since then, and also true that Jordan could/should improve, it is unlikely that Jordan's peak value will ever be as good as Chandler's.

Wow, I don't understand all of the Jordan detractors. If roles were reversed and Jordan was drafted by Danny, Jordan is the type of player that would be completely over-rated by Cs fans. However, since he is part of the KG return package, he's the next Darko and nothing more.

Seriously, the kid has game and plays hard. I don't see how anyone can cap his potential at a Darko or Kwame. He's only 24.

Mark my words, if the deal goes down, the fans at the garden will raise the roof each time Jordan dunks an alley-oop from Rondo.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2013, 12:24:44 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Would a Rondo/Bass for Eric Gordon/Jason Smith make sense this summer?

Smith is good buddies with RR, if we get him it's to help and make RR happy.

I love KG but this will be the fastest route to a rebuild.  I just bought my son a KG jersey.  If he doesn't get traded I will be ok, if he does I will be ok.  I love the team not the players.

Personnel moves to make a tempermental star player happy always seem to backfire and end with no star and a bunch of bad contracts.

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Wow, I don't understand all of the Jordan detractors. If roles were reversed and Jordan was drafted by Danny, Jordan is the type of player that would be completely over-rated by Cs fans. However, since he is part of the KG return package, he's the next Darko and nothing more.

Seriously, the kid has game and plays hard. I don't see how anyone can cap his potential at a Darko or Kwame. He's only 24.
Let me explain "the Jordan detractors" for you: He's signed at $12 million per ($10 million salary + $2 million kicker). For multiple years. Do you understand what a cap commitment of this sort means for an NBA team? I'm sorry, but at this price tag, I expect someone a little better than a "kid [who] has game and plays hard".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2013, 12:28:27 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I think DeAndre Jordan needs a top defensive coach to help him fulfill his defensive potential. Vinny Del Negro isn't that guy.

Tyson Chandler greatly benefited from having Scott Skiles early in his career. Skiles molded Tyson into one of the best defensive bigs in the league just like he did with Andrew Bogut in Milwaukee.

DeAndre Jordan needs his own Scott Skiles. It'll make his career.

Any other defensive coaches you think could help him reach his potential?

No coach on the Celtics currently
Thibodeau could

Thibs deff helped Noah and Deng

He helped kg and pierce even more

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2013, 12:33:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Let me explain "the Jordan detractors" for you: He's signed at $12 million per ($10 million salary + $2 million kicker). For multiple years. Do you understand what a cap commitment of this sort means for an NBA team? I'm sorry, but at this price tag, I expect someone a little better than a "kid [who] has game and plays hard".

D.Jordan is more of a finishing piece to a team that already has it's main stars in place than a piece you get early in the rebuilding process and build around.

It's the wrong phase in the Celtics retooling process for D.Jordan.

Still, I would be happy to acquire him in order to trade him somewhere else and pickup additional or better fitting long term assets.

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2013, 12:53:51 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
If Jordan was at least a 70% FT shooter, I think its a different conversation.

Spending $10M on a center who can't play at crunch time?  No thanks

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If Jordan was at least a 70% FT shooter, I think its a different conversation.

Spending $10M on a center who can't play at crunch time?  No thanks
Not to mention is being paid for his defensive/rebounding potential but isn't there yet.

It made sense for the Clippers because they had CP3/Blake so they weren't going to have cap room to spend in the future and had their stars.

The C's will just have Rondo and meh.....