Author Topic: Adrian wojnarowski " Boston's active on several fronts including Josh Smith  (Read 6730 times)

Re: Adrian wojnarowski " Boston's active on several fronts including Josh Smith
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 11:35:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Trading pierce for smith would be solid for us.  Kg can remain at center, green can start at SF and smith at PF.  Solid

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Trading pierce for smith would be solid for us.  Kg can remain at center, green can start at SF and smith at PF.  Solid
we won't do Pierce like that and if Danny tried to send him to ATL Paul let it be known already he wants to play to contend only he'd probably retire before reporting there
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 12:01:58 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
we won't do Pierce like that and if Danny tried to send him to ATL Paul let it be known already he wants to play to contend only he'd probably retire before reporting there

I would hope he refuses to report (and makes it known before any deal is final) to any non-contender, but would a team not in contention care? They likely want him as a semi-expiring contract, so by refusing to report they would save even more money. They would probably prefer he retire/refuse to report.

Ugh I hope DA doesn't do something stupid. Bring in bodies, let this team compete, and go for broke next season with an improved Rondo (he must be learning something from our success without him), Green (only getting better), Sully (more mobile), Bradley (more experience) and Lee (more comfortable). Add in a defender/rebounder to backup KG with the mini-MLE.

This team is full of warriors. Let them fight.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 12:05:14 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

my thoughts for this year but this can backfire bad
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 12:10:31 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

There's no way that Pierce is going to walk away from the $6m he has coming for the rest of this season, and the $4m he gets when the Hawks renounce him this summer.  That's $10m for playing 30 games plus a few in the playoffs. 

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 12:16:23 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Sure any move can backfire. But how bad can it really backfire though? Pierce and KG retire at the end of their contracts? We could trade off everyone and start literally from scratch. Bass would be an expiring in two years, as would Terry. Green and Lee would be valuable given their age, salary and talent. Rondo is movable anytime.

I'd rather risk prolonging the rebuild a season or two longer for the opportunity to see this group compete another season (or two or three - whenever KG and Pierce retire).

There simply isn't any trade out there that we get a centerpiece, potential franchise type of player. We are getting B grade talent for Celtic legends. No thanks.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 12:17:51 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Jeff Green picks and fillers. I can't see Danny trading Pierce to ATL that would be a huge slap to the face of PP. It would also be a really bad look around the league for the Celtics.

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 12:27:24 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't see the Celtics offering Pierce, to me after reading the tweets it sounds like speculation.

If the Celtics traded Pierce to a team with young assets and that team moved him to Atlanta would that make sense? Wouldn't the Celtics just take the young talent themselves?

To me, going after Josh Smith, we are offering some of the guys not named Rondo, KG or Pierce. Since it doesn't make sense for us to offer any of those guys I don't see us getting Smith.

It seems like Boston is probably calling around to see if they can get any teams to give up assets for our ancillary pieces that Atlanta would want. This is highly unlikely
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 12:29:46 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

Backfire from what?  If the Celtics allow KG and Pierce to retire before netting complementary, albeit very good, complementary players like Bledsoe and Jordan, their timeline for getting back into contention isn't going to be set back much, if at all.  Complementary players don't move the timeline or help you beat the rebuilding cycle.  The Celtics are still going to have to find future All-NBA players to get back to contender status and that means they're going to have to be bad again.

What makes me optimistic that the Celtics can rebuild through the draft is Ainge.  I have faith he's not going to waste high draft picks.  Before then, I don't want to abort perhaps the only meaningful stretch of basketball we might see in some time by blowing up this team right now.

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 12:33:49 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I don't understand why Atlanta would be interested in Pierce anyway.  If they see him as an expiring deal, well how does that change from Smith's situation?  It would actually be worse because they would have to pay Pierce 4 million to go away.  It just doesn't make any sense.