Poll

Are You A Josh Smith Fans

Yes, i'm a big fan of josh smith
13 (48.1%)
No, i'm not a big fan of josh smith
14 (51.9%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Marc Stein "Boston exploring Josh Smith options"  (Read 12281 times)

Re: Marc Stein "Boston exploring Josh Smith options"
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2013, 12:40:41 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
This sucks because it means Ferry isn't willing to take back Bass and Lee with Sully, Melo + picks for Smith.

They probably wouldn't take that package, but I don't think Stein knows what he is talking about. Why would they want Pierce? Pierce, Sully, pick? I don't see what package with Pierce makes sense for a team like Atlanta.

Warriors and Clippers I could see, Denver mayyyybe. No other teams will give up good assets for Pierce.

It would be to add a young cheap contract in Sully with pierce as possible cap relief I believe

Surely they could find a fully expiring contract and decent prospect for him from somewhere else.

Sully has potential, but about 18 different teams passed on him because he had a bad back. They were right.

And we do realize that Smith is an expiring contract himself. They could just let him walk and save more money. They could buy picks with that $5 million they would have to give Pierce.

There is no reason to believe ATL wants Pierce, unless it includes something like Bradley+Sully or us taking back a bad contract. Neither of which DA would do.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2013, 12:43:51 AM »

Offline jamala22

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
With how much the front office and the fans like Paul Pierce....I don't see us trading him to the Hawks.  Spurs, Clippers and Warriors are the options that I could see if we trade him.  Out of our conference and to a Contender/home.  I also see it in that order as well.

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2013, 12:50:56 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Everyone is saying this theoretical team we'd end up with wouldn't  be a contender, but think about the Clippers right now.

They were a fringe playoff team, they acquired Paul and suddenly two seasons later they are one of the top 5 teams in the league.

Rondo is not far off Paul's level
Bradley is as dominant on defense as Crawford is on offense
Green at his best is as good as Butler
Smith is not far off Griffin (in terms of actual skill set)
Jordan is is good as...himself

Jet + Bledsoe + Sully is an excellent bench rotation

All that team needs is a pure scorer in free agency and who knows?

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2013, 12:52:40 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Everyone is saying this theoretical team we'd end up with wouldn't  be a contender, but think about the Clippers right now.

They were a fringe playoff team, they acquired Paul and suddenly two seasons later they are one of the top 5 teams in the league.

Rondo > Paul
Great comparison TP
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2013, 12:58:30 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker

They aren't a contender in reality, hence why they are after a guy who happens to be on our team.

Rondo really isn't as close to Paul as many want to believe, and Smith isn't really close to Blake.

There is no way Rondo/Bradley/Green/Smith/Jordan can make a decent playoff push.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2013, 01:06:20 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
With how much the front office and the fans like Paul Pierce....I don't see us trading him to the Hawks.  Spurs, Clippers and Warriors are the options that I could see if we trade him.  Out of our conference and to a Contender/home.  I also see it in that order as well.

Yeah, only a team that is just a Pierce move away from winning a championship would trade for him (what with his very limited shelf life as a greatly productive player).  I would not count GS in that very limited group.  It's just hard to come up with viable PP trades.  The KG to the Clips thing could have had legs (I thought the 3 way with ATL idea sounded very plausible for all teams), but only if PP were first dealt, and he's the tougher of the two to actually deal, so when all is said and done, I just don't see either of them being dealt.

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2013, 01:08:57 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
And we do realize that Smith is an expiring contract himself. They could just let him walk and save more money. They could buy picks with that $5 million they would have to give Pierce.

There is no reason to believe ATL wants Pierce, unless it includes something like Bradley+Sully or us taking back a bad contract. Neither of which DA would do.

An expiring contract is a trade asset.  Sometimes teams acquire a player with the intention of trading him in the future.  So, in theory, Atlanta might think they are trading Josh Smith for cheap assets plus whatever they think they can get for Paul Pierce.  Depending on how they evaluate the future trade market for Pierce and how likely they think they can sign a big free agent in 2013 vs 2014, it may be better in the long run to acquire Pierce's contract and wait a year before they make a push to acquire a possible franchise player rather than to let Smith walk with possibly no compensation.

The main problem for Atlanta is that Pierce is both too good and too old.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Josh Smith
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2013, 01:17:03 AM »

Offline ballerbt

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
Feel free to comment how you feel about him or anything about him.

But personally I hate Josh Smith, I hate his attitude, I hate how he plays, I don't like how much attitude he gives the refs, I dislike how he flops/overreacts, and last I hate how he is all about himself and is selfish. But think about what he brings to the table. How about I list the positive things. Well what I think is good:

-He can rebound, Will help KG out
-Can attack the basket strong
-Defense! Defense! Defense! This guy is an amazing shot blocker and has won
-Shooter, in fact a good shooter and could be better than Green and Bass combined. Key word: could be
-Could help us "Beat The Heat"

Listening to NBA All-star weekend, during the All-star game, I forget who it was but one of the commentators were talking about teams that could beat the heat. He said that two teams could beat that team, the pacers and chicago because they have two dominant big guys that can rebound.

Just look at what he is averaging this year:

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/nam ... anta-hawks

Pretty impressive for a guy who people say "suck" and "he's horrible"

Make a deal that includes Jeff Green cause that's probably the only guy that the Hawks would take

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2013, 01:43:52 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

An expiring contract is a trade asset.  Sometimes teams acquire a player with the intention of trading him in the future.  So, in theory, Atlanta might think they are trading Josh Smith for cheap assets plus whatever they think they can get for Paul Pierce.  Depending on how they evaluate the future trade market for Pierce and how likely they think they can sign a big free agent in 2013 vs 2014, it may be better in the long run to acquire Pierce's contract and wait a year before they make a push to acquire a possible franchise player rather than to let Smith walk with possibly no compensation.

Expiring deals are overrated.  They were a hot commodity before the Lebron, Wade, Bosh free agency year because a bunch of teams wanted to create cap room but when has an expiring deal netted a lot in return before or since?  It can be valuable as part of a package like when the Celtics used Theo's deal to facilitate the trade for Ray but the Celtics also had to give up the 5th pick in the draft.  If Atlanta wants to get a franchise player, one, they're probably not going to be able to get one via a trade and two, Pierce's expiring deal isn't going to be much of a factor.  You just simply don't trade Josh Smith before he hits free agency and largely come away with an expiring deal which you might, possibly, be able to spin up for something a year later. 

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2013, 01:44:43 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

They aren't a contender in reality, hence why they are after a guy who happens to be on our team.

Rondo really isn't as close to Paul as many want to believe, and Smith isn't really close to Blake.

There is no way Rondo/Bradley/Green/Smith/Jordan can make a decent playoff push.
TP

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2013, 01:59:50 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Yeah, getting Jordan and Smith would not the Clippers make.  A starting lineup that featuring Rondo, Jordan and Smith might be the worst shooting starting lineup in the game.  I can't imagine how they would be an efficient scoring unit.  Rondo is miles away from Paul in terms of scoring efficiently as is Smith from Blake. 

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2013, 02:00:08 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker

I'm not sure I follow. You think they would actually pick up Pierce's option to use as an expiring contract? I don't think their is ANY chance that franchise adds $10M to their payroll in 2013-14 in anticipation they can possibly trade Pierce midseason.

The Celtics cheapest assets are Melo (far away would be a stretch), Sully and Bradley. They aren't getting Bradley. Sully is a rotational player with a concerning injury history. Guys like Melo rarely pan out, chances are Hawks would lose more sleep watching him make boneheaded plays than they would passing on him.

Someone like Lee or Green make sense. Talented players that while maybe not cheap, are proven performers and easily flippable. If not one or both of them, ATL isn't dealing with us.
CELTICS 2024

Re: Josh Smith
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2013, 02:11:16 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
Don't like his game.

Don't think his overall defense is game changing like KG or Bradley.

Don't think he can shoot better than Green or Bass.

Don't think he can contain LeBron significantly better than Green could.

He's made exactly the same number of All-Star games as Green and Bass.

Will almost assuredly get overpaid in July, just hope it isn't us.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2013, 03:35:07 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Don't like his game.

Don't think his overall defense is game changing like KG or Bradley.

Don't think he can shoot better than Green or Bass.

Don't think he can contain LeBron significantly better than Green could.

He's made exactly the same number of All-Star games as Green and Bass.

Will almost assuredly get overpaid in July, just hope it isn't us.
many people here wants him bad but i do hope we don't get him. i agree with all you're statements overrated no max contract player.

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2013, 06:35:48 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
If he was a free agent sign-up, I'd take him. Trade (possibly painful one at that), no.
I moved the cheese.