Poll

Are You A Josh Smith Fans

Yes, i'm a big fan of josh smith
13 (48.1%)
No, i'm not a big fan of josh smith
14 (51.9%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Marc Stein "Boston exploring Josh Smith options"  (Read 12279 times)

Re: Marc Stein "Boston exploring Josh Smith options"
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 10:24:32 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I will say if this is the blow up plan and we end up looking like this.

Bledsoe
Bradley/Lee
Green
Smith
Jordan

That is a crazy defensive/athletic team.

This is a borderline playoff time at best.  If the team gets broken up, I'd rather it be to get into the lottery.  This team is probably a little better than lottery material, and very far from being a contender.

Not saying they would be contenders at all. Would be very fun to watch and again a very good defensive team. Also you have plenty of pieces to move during the summer. You would have Rondo,Bradley,Jordan,Green, and Bradley who could all get you good talent in return.

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 10:30:01 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Bledsoe
Bradley/Lee
Green
Smith
Jordan

This is a borderline playoff time at best.  If the team gets broken up, I'd rather it be to get into the lottery.  This team is probably a little better than lottery material, and very far from being a contender.

Add Rondo to that team.  I feel that we can get that team without giving up Rondo if we choose to:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=cu533x6
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 10:32:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
From my understanding the sign and trade is a thing of the past.

Not a thing of the past, but something that a team way over the cap can't do.

On both ends? So Boston being over the cap in this scenario couldn't receive Smith from an under the cap ATL?
you can't be a tax team and you can't over the apron as a result of sign and trade.

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 10:34:01 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

On both ends? So Boston being over the cap in this scenario couldn't receive Smith from an under the cap ATL?
you can't be a tax team and you can't over the apron as a result of sign and trade.

So if you're already over prior to the S&T your ok then.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 10:51:46 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

So if you're already over prior to the S&T your ok then.

No, if you're over the apron prior to the S&T, you can't receive the player being signed and traded unless the deal brings you under the apron.

Which basically means that the Lakers couldn't do a double sign-and-trade of Howard for Smith or any other free agent who will command a big contract.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2013, 10:56:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Trade Pierce for Smith with the wink wink, behind closed doors idea that Atlanta won't be picking up his last year, he will be paid his $5 million and then can return for the MLE here next year.

It's a partially guaranteed final year, not a team option.  If Pierce is traded then waived, he can't return to the Celtics for a year after the trade.
I have seen it listed as a player option. If it is and decides not to take the option, then he is free to sign where ever he wants.

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:48 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Bledsoe
Bradley/Lee
Green
Smith
Jordan

I think DA isn't that hip on lottery luck. He has a blue print now for how to win a title. Develop young talent and turn into three of the games best players and good complimentary role players.

For the next 2-3 years it's going to be all about LeBron in the East. He' reached the peak of his powers and he will remain there until at least 32. Now that he has a taste for winning and an understanding of what it takes it's going to be almost impossible to beat him when he and his team are healthy.

If Ainge get's young guys along with Smith and Rondo then in 2 years Smith and Rondo will still be on the right side of 30. Hope to flip these young guys into a disgruntled Super Star and make a run.

Smith would be of the Ray Allen caliber, Rondo of the Pierce caliber, and you hope to acquire a guy of the Kg caliber. Then maybe you can go head to head with this guy for 4 out of 7.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 11:15:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Trade Pierce for Smith with the wink wink, behind closed doors idea that Atlanta won't be picking up his last year, he will be paid his $5 million and then can return for the MLE here next year.

It's a partially guaranteed final year, not a team option.  If Pierce is traded then waived, he can't return to the Celtics for a year after the trade.
I have seen it listed as a player option. If it is and decides not to take the option, then he is free to sign where ever he wants.

No, it's a partially guaranteed year.

Forgot about that new rule.

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This sucks because it means Ferry isn't willing to take back Bass and Lee with Sully, Melo + picks for Smith. 
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 11:45:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

No, it's a partially guaranteed year.

Forgot about that new rule.
Oh okay. I was under the impression it was a player option. Oh well.

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 11:50:04 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
This sucks because it means Ferry isn't willing to take back Bass and Lee with Sully, Melo + picks for Smith.

They probably wouldn't take that package, but I don't think Stein knows what he is talking about. Why would they want Pierce? Pierce, Sully, pick? I don't see what package with Pierce makes sense for a team like Atlanta.

Warriors and Clippers I could see, Denver mayyyybe. No other teams will give up good assets for Pierce.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2013, 11:53:27 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

They probably wouldn't take that package, but I don't think Stein knows what he is talking about. Why would they want Pierce? Pierce, Sully, pick? I don't see what package with Pierce makes sense for a team like Atlanta.

Warriors and Clippers I could see, Denver mayyyybe. No other teams will give up good assets for Pierce.

It would be to add a young cheap contract in Sully with pierce as possible cap relief I believe

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 12:28:25 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It would be to add a young cheap contract in Sully with pierce as possible cap relief I believe

Pretty much.  Atlanta wants to keep their salary cap as flexible as possible in trading Smith.  Since Pierce is only partially guaranteed for next year, that has value, as opposed to taking on several multi-year contracts. 

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 12:29:28 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
The only reason ATl wants to trade with Boston is Pierce...
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 12:36:23 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

As scotthow has said above, they take Pierce and an assett because it gives them immediate cap relief.  So Pierce, Sully, Melo and a first.
I do feel that this deal hinges on two things that are being overlooked...
1) how greedy Ferry wants to get
2)how insistent Smith is that he goes to Boston

I also would love doing this deal as someone suggested with the wink wink notion that the Hawks dump Pierces option and he can re sign with us for cheaper next year.
Not sure how legal/possible this is and would love for someone to confirm...
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.