Author Topic: Jackie Mac: " Doc is not a fan of Josh Smith"  (Read 3823 times)

Jackie Mac: " Doc is not a fan of Josh Smith"
« on: February 18, 2013, 07:17:57 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
One of the trade rumors making the rounds during All-Star Weekend was a potential Brandon Bass and Jeff Green for Josh Smith swap between the Boston Celtics and Atlanta Hawks.  Atlanta GM Danny Ferry is clearly looking to move Smith and the 6’9″ power forward has been linked to the Celtics in the past.  Smith has commented on his admiration for the Celtics organization on numerous occasions and is a close friend of Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo.

Where there’s smoke there’s fire right?

Not according to ESPN-Boston Columnist and former Boston Globe scribe Jackie MacMullan.

During her regular weekly appearance on WEEI’s Mut and Merloni show, MacMullan shared details of a conversation with Doc Rivers as a means of casting  doubt on the likelihood of a deal that would bring Smith to the Celtics.  Before host Mike Mutnansky even finished asking about the rumor, MacMullan scoffed “no way” and  elaborated “I remember asking Doc about Josh Smith last year…picture someone rolling their eyes so much that they’re in the back of their head.  That’s how Doc felt about Josh Smith.”

http://clnsradio.com/2013/02/18/josh-smith-isnt-walking-through-that-door/

hmmmm well guess that ends that speculation too ....

Re: Jackie Mac: " Doc is not a fan of Josh Smith"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:24:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
maybe she misinterpreted it and Doc was rolling his eyes, because he knew Boston didn't have nearly enough assets to land someone like Josh Smith.

But honestly it's funny, because Smith goes from extremely underrated to extremely overrated on this board on like a daily basis.   

First you see people saying he's some bum who couldn't hold Jeff Green's jock (not true at all).  Then you see people saying that Rondo + Josh Smith would be a contender (definitely not true)... he's the missing piece.  He's a nobody.  He's an allstar.  He's a poor man's Antoine Walker.  He's the best defensive PF in the league.  He's a SF pretending to be a PF.  Crazy how polarizing he is.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Doc doesn't like bigs who can't spread the floor with jumpshots.

Pretty predictable.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:34:38 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
One of the trade rumors making the rounds during All-Star Weekend was a potential Brandon Bass and Jeff Green for Josh Smith swap between the Boston Celtics and Atlanta Hawks.  Atlanta GM Danny Ferry is clearly looking to move Smith and the 6’9″ power forward has been linked to the Celtics in the past.  Smith has commented on his admiration for the Celtics organization on numerous occasions and is a close friend of Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo.

Where there’s smoke there’s fire right?

Not according to ESPN-Boston Columnist and former Boston Globe scribe Jackie MacMullan.

During her regular weekly appearance on WEEI’s Mut and Merloni show, MacMullan shared details of a conversation with Doc Rivers as a means of casting  doubt on the likelihood of a deal that would bring Smith to the Celtics.  Before host Mike Mutnansky even finished asking about the rumor, MacMullan scoffed “no way” and  elaborated “I remember asking Doc about Josh Smith last year…picture someone rolling their eyes so much that they’re in the back of their head.  That’s how Doc felt about Josh Smith.”

http://clnsradio.com/2013/02/18/josh-smith-isnt-walking-through-that-door/

hmmmm well guess that ends that speculation too ....

Yeah but Doc isnt the GM. I know Danny and Doc work hand and hand but if Danny likes a deal for Josh Smith he is going to have faith that Doc would make it work.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I think it's more of a discipline and attitude issue with JSmooth.  He's always been thought of as both immature and a bad decision maker on the court.  He obviously has the athleticism to do damage on the court, but doesn't fit the Celtic mode.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:43:59 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I don't think Doc was a fan of trading perk away for green but that wasn't his call. Who knows what will happen. I doubt we can get Josh Smith. I personally think if we got him together with this years team how sweet our defense would be, It would be rather scary as well. But who knows we'll see I see something going down tomorrow or WED.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Happy to know Doc thinks about him the same way I do.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 07:49:34 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I don't think Doc was a fan of trading perk away for green but that wasn't his call. Who knows what will happen. I doubt we can get Josh Smith. I personally think if we got him together with this years team how sweet our defense would be, It would be rather scary as well. But who knows we'll see I see something going down tomorrow or WED.

I don't see anything going down until Thursday. Honestly out of the trade rumors the Smoove one is the only one I wouldn't have a huge problem with. I think he could play well for the Celts, though I don't think hes worth a max contract.

We'll see what happens... building up the mental bomb shelter incase another Perk trade missile hits

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 07:53:21 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Pretty predictable.

Don't forget Doc doesn't believe in rebounding and Smith is an excellent rebounder, that's 2 strikes.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:53:52 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
I am with Doc.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 07:54:20 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412

Pretty predictable.

Don't forget Doc doesn't believe in rebounding and Smith is an excellent rebounder, that's 2 strikes.
Ur right
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 08:12:21 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
With all due respect, the above quote is meaningless.

Also with all due respect to Jackie MacMullen, we don't even know if Doc actually feels this way or if this is completely taken out of context.

This is more water cooler talk then anything else and I doubt has any impact on future decisions.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 08:15:29 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
With all due respect, the above quote is meaningless.

Also with all due respect to Jackie MacMullen, we don't even know if Doc actually feels this way or if this is completely taken out of context.

This is more water cooler talk then anything else and I doubt has any impact on future decisions.
I don't know, she's good at her job and knows the people on the team well. If she thinks Doc isn't a big fan of Jidiot then she's probably on to something.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 08:21:45 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I don't think the quote means anything. Doc is not Danny.

But I also don't think Jackie would say that if she wasn't sure.
You know how people know things but kind of pass it off as other things?

that.

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He could be an asset to get an asset.   Does he have more trade value than Jeff Green absolutely.