Author Topic: Do you honestly think we can win a title this year?  (Read 2857 times)

Re: Do you honestly think we can win a title this year?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 07:29:51 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Unless something materializes with the DH12 trade, not a chance.  I'd prefer Green over JSmooth; but in either case neither is going to bring us over the top.  I think the injuries to Barbosa and Sullinger really hurt us.  They wouldn't not have put us over the top either, but would allow us more trade flexibility.  Now with too few bodies it's very difficult to trade and improve the roster at the same time.

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Unless something materializes with the DH12 trade, not a chance.  I'd prefer Green over JSmooth; but in either case neither is going to bring us over the top.  I think the injuries to Barbosa and Sullinger really hurt us.  They wouldn't not have put us over the top either, but would allow us more trade flexibility.  Now with too few bodies it's very difficult to trade and improve the roster at the same time.

The injury that killed our title chances is the one that you neglected to mention.

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »

Offline Lechoke Lames

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
Teams without MVP caliber players almost never win championships . . . especially teams who don't at least have a DPOY-caliber player and then a handful of All-Stars.

I agree, but the 2004 Pistons shows that with the right defensive mind it's not impossible to win it all without true stars. Getting to that defensive level with the current Celtics roster is still a major challenge.

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 07:36:57 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Yes.

No need to elaborate, just sit back and enjoy the ride.

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
Anything is possible. But I'm realistic too. No matter what happens I'll be rooting for this team and against everybody else. Go C's.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 07:56:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 08:28:08 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
No. No one is beating Miami in the East, and even if by some miracle they did, there are at least 4 teams in the West that are far better.

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 08:41:59 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I love our chances... We still need to add a Center (rebounder) & Pf (floor spacer). Love the T-WILL Acq... he's better than Barbosa at this point.

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 08:43:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No, but I still enjoy watching this team, I just fear a long rebuild.

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 08:50:25 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Does this team have a shot?  Yes.  Not a great one, but better than all but a handful of teams in the league.  Beyond that, though, this team is now fun to watch and root for, something I couldn't say earlier in the season.

Mike

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 08:54:16 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
Yes.

We have the top-end talent, the secondary talent, and the role players to compete with anyone. 

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 08:59:03 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Still a move away. I feel like if we could get Josh Smith for cheap by cheap I mean somehow keeping Jeff Green. Then yes. We have to bolster the 4 or 5 spot. If we do it at the 5 and are able to get KG to the 4 then good chance we could win. But depends. I think if we stand pat, our chances diminish and our peak is the ECF.

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 09:01:17 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
Yes. If we can get a guy who can come in and rebound, we have a decent set of lineups

Kg, Bass, PP, Lee, Bradley
Wilcox, x, Green, PP, Terry
KG Bass Green PP Terry
KG X Green Lee Terry/Bradley

and so on

Other teams can get hurt, too. If we get by Mia we can beat OKC ugly

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 09:07:37 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Does this team have a shot?  Yes.  Not a great one, but better than all but a handful of teams in the league.  Beyond that, though, this team is now fun to watch and root for, something I couldn't say earlier in the season.

Mike

Yup, that's how I feel.  Things just need to fall into the right places and we need to make a few big shots that I think we'll get chances at.

I think the Jason Terry factor is one that people are underrating.  This is a guy who in 2011 went from "yeah, he's definitely one of the leading candidates for 6th man of the year" during the regular season to "wow, this guy is an enormous reason why the mavs won the championship" after the finals.  Again this season, he's being acknowledged for being "good" but I think he has another level to take his game to this postseason. 

I'm very wary of a man so confident he tattoos a championship trophy onto himself..... and is so far 1/1 in his career when he does that.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 09:54:56 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
No I don't.
I think the team has been playing better than expected as of late and worse than expected earlier in the season. I think the teams true quality lies somewhere between the two. I think the current record probably approximates to a fair degree where we should be. Somewhere around a 4-5-6 seed. We'd likely upset someone in the playoffs then get bounced in the next round. Anything is possible of course, but the Heat are clear faves in the East, and I could easily see injuries and age doing us in against many other playoff bound teams in the East.
Celtics fan for life.