Author Topic: Do you honestly think we can win a title this year?  (Read 2882 times)

Do you honestly think we can win a title this year?
« on: February 18, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
I do not. I am curious as to what people are thinking regarding this topic so I figured I would just flat out ask.

This team does not have enough to get out of the East and is hurting the long term prospects of the team holding on to KG and Pierce out of sentimentality. What say all of you?

Re: Do you honestly think we can win a title this year?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 06:56:59 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
If the alternative to having kg is having an average lanky center who can't shoot in any way and also won't assist in the rebuild I'll have KG every day of the week. Plus this way we have to opportunity to send him off properly.

Having deandre jordan won't assist us in acquiring anyone good in the future.

In what way are you speeding up the rebuild by blowing it up this year?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:00:24 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I do!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Can this team win a title? No. No unless the Heat and the top teams in the west have major health problems.

Is the team hurting itself by not tradingKG and Pierce? No.

Not if all we can get for this right now is the absolute garbage that I've seen posed so far. And at their age that's probably all we could get. And who says we can't trade them during the summer? Why must if be right now or we're going to stink for another 20 years? I don't get it.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 07:02:52 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Long story short, no.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:08:34 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Depends. If the roster stays as is, then no.

While I think the team plays better without Rondo, I don't think this roster can beat Miami or Chicago.

Now, if Ainge can land Josh Smith for Bass, Green, etc, that changes the whole situation. Suddenly, KG has another very competent PF to back him up in the front court. And if the Celts can also land another wing who can shoot, even better (imagine if they can land Kyle Korver with Smoove.)

BUT, if the Celts can't land a player who can help them win now and a good offer comes along for either KG or Pierce, I would say take it.

The goal should be to win a championship, not just make the playoffs and get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round. Therefore, you should build toward putting together the next championship caliber team.

Another thing to consider, if the Celts realize the "rebuild" route is the way  to go, they should shed as much salary as possible (Terry, Lee, Bass, etc) and go into the summer with tons of cap space (to go after Howard and Smith.)

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 07:12:25 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Can this team win a title? No. No unless the Heat and the top teams in the west have major health problems.

Is the team hurting itself by not tradingKG and Pierce? No.

Not if all we can get for this right now is the absolute garbage that I've seen posed so far. And at their age that's probably all we could get. And who says we can't trade them during the summer? Why must if be right now or we're going to stink for another 20 years? I don't get it.

If they make a big move at the deadline for someone like Smith then sure. If they don't then no, but they'll be fun to watch

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 07:13:06 PM »

Offline OnPoint

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 128
I really do. I think when you have two players the caliber and heart of KG and Pierce it is def possible. That said it would take a solid injury to Lebron James' lower body.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 07:19:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Teams without MVP caliber players almost never win championships . . . especially teams who don't at least have a DPOY-caliber player and then a handful of All-Stars.

The Celtics are not going to win the title this year.  I feel pretty confident about that.  But that shouldn't be a shocker to anybody.  It was always going to be a long shot with this roster, even if everything went right.

Rondo is the only thing this team had going for them in a seven game series against a top opponent -- Rondo has shown that he can take the step to another level for a stretch of games and be nearly as dominant as any other player in the world.  Without that element on the roster, the ceiling for this team is much, much lower.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:21:07 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Yes.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 07:21:12 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
With the current team as is, no. I'd give it a 5% chance, but I think they will give a good fight.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 07:22:42 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
No, but i think that they can beat IND, ATL, NY, BK, MIL, and PHI... so I don't think there's a point in rebuilding. I really don't feel like trading Pierce and KG so we can suck for a few years then hope that we get lucky in the lottery. There's no honor in that logic.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I think we already have ;)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 07:25:53 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I do not. I am curious as to what people are thinking regarding this topic so I figured I would just flat out ask.

This team does not have enough to get out of the East and is hurting the long term prospects of the team holding on to KG and Pierce out of sentimentality. What say all of you?

Do I think they can win the title?  Yes.  The worst performance this team has had in the playoffs over the past 6 seasons was a 6-game loss in the 2nd round to the Heat 2 years ago.  They have the players and the experience to do at least that this year.  A lot has to break their way, and they need to have all-world performances from Pierce and KG, but that could happen.

Do I think they WILL win the title this year?  No.  Right now they are ranked about 10th in the league in odds to win the championship this year, right around the Denver/Brooklyn Nets level.

Do I think they can scare the crap out of Miami again?  Absolutely.  And I will be more than happy to watch that happen.

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 07:26:12 PM »

Offline FreeGreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 19
I think (like a lot of teams), we're one Lebron injury away from having a legit shot.