Author Topic: Howard Ready To Make Decision On Winning, Not Marketing Or Geography  (Read 4598 times)

Re: Howard Ready To Make Decision On Winning, Not Marketing Or Geography
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Dwight truly is my least favorite player in the league and I am glad we were not in the running to land him as a free agent last year and glad that Rondo's acl tear saved us from getting him this year.

As KG says, the guys is a clown, and always has been. He may talk about winning, but he does not really know what it takes.

I watched his interview during the allstar game yesterday with David Aldrige and he presented himself as a total idiot.  He could not even act normal for a simple interview.  Even Reggie Miller, was defending him earlier in the broadcast finally conceded that dwight needs to do better after watching that.

It got me wanting to see what laker fans though of him and I found this post that sums it up.  He uses KG as a contrary comparison and pretty much nails the difference.  Also give credence to why we should never trade KG!  From a lakers fan no less.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2013/2/15/3991152/the-dwight-theory

"The first time I saw Kevin Garnett in person was a few years before that, and I remember that for different reasons. The Lakers were ripping the Wolves limb from limb, up something like 26 points in the fourth quarter, and Garnett, dripping sweat, was playing harder than anyone on the court, scowling, rebounding, slapping the floor. He knew the game was lost. Didn't care. Didn't matter."

Eh, kg hadn't been to the playoffs in 4 years before coming to Boston, was the highest paid player in the league and was accused of quitting by the owner of the timberwolves

I loveeeee kg but his abysmal days in Minnesota weren't entirely somebody else's fault..I think his days there are a bit overrated and he was very much concerned about getting his numbers and money....luckily that changed when he became a Celtic and I think he's been the best Celtic since bird.

KG's a lot of things, but he's definitely not a guy who is "concerned about getting his numbers and money."

The guy is and has been one of the most selfless players in the NBA.

KG also "got his money" very early in his career with that monster $126 million deal that directly led to the creation of max contracts.

As far as Howard goes, this is one of those deals where having to say you're not doing something pretty clearly indicates that you are.  Like Clay Bennett saying he didn't buy the Sonics to move them to OKC, or Stern saying the Kings leaving for Seattle now isn't a sure thing.

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 04:07:06 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
i'm not a huge fan of howard b/c of his childish antics over the past 2 years or so but to call the guy a hack as a basketball player is some sort of joke. i keep on seeing it on here and other sites. that's rubbish. you can call his a child but he's still arguably the best center in the game. even in a down year, he still leads in almost every statistical category for centers.

quite honestly, i dont know what happened to this guy. he basically took the magic to the finals basically by himself one year. maybe he lost his way. i have no clue. but it some point maybe it will click for him. i dont think he was always a loser.

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Dwight truly is my least favorite player in the league and I am glad we were not in the running to land him as a free agent last year and glad that Rondo's acl tear saved us from getting him this year.

As KG says, the guys is a clown, and always has been. He may talk about winning, but he does not really know what it takes.

I watched his interview during the allstar game yesterday with David Aldrige and he presented himself as a total idiot.  He could not even act normal for a simple interview.  Even Reggie Miller, was defending him earlier in the broadcast finally conceded that dwight needs to do better after watching that.

It got me wanting to see what laker fans though of him and I found this post that sums it up.  He uses KG as a contrary comparison and pretty much nails the difference.  Also give credence to why we should never trade KG!  From a lakers fan no less.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2013/2/15/3991152/the-dwight-theory

"The first time I saw Kevin Garnett in person was a few years before that, and I remember that for different reasons. The Lakers were ripping the Wolves limb from limb, up something like 26 points in the fourth quarter, and Garnett, dripping sweat, was playing harder than anyone on the court, scowling, rebounding, slapping the floor. He knew the game was lost. Didn't care. Didn't matter."

Eh, kg hadn't been to the playoffs in 4 years before coming to Boston, was the highest paid player in the league and was accused of quitting by the owner of the timberwolves

I loveeeee kg but his abysmal days in Minnesota weren't entirely somebody else's fault..I think his days there are a bit overrated and he was very much concerned about getting his numbers and money....luckily that changed when he became a Celtic and I think he's been the best Celtic since bird.

KG's a lot of things, but he's definitely not a guy who is "concerned about getting his numbers and money."

The guy is and has been one of the most selfless players in the NBA.

Hasn't been one of those guys in Boston, was in Minnesota.

Been completely selfless as a Celtic, agreed

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 04:24:28 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
i'm not a huge fan of howard b/c of his childish antics over the past 2 years or so but to call the guy a hack as a basketball player is some sort of joke. i keep on seeing it on here and other sites. that's rubbish. you can call his a child but he's still arguably the best center in the game. even in a down year, he still leads in almost every statistical category for centers.

That's not saying all that much these days in the modern NBA. I think he's one of the most overrated players today. If not overrated then absolutely the most underachieving. With his size and power and the lack of centers out there he should be owning the NBA. But he's not eve close.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 04:30:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Hasn't been one of those guys in Boston, was in Minnesota.

Been completely selfless as a Celtic, agreed
I don't see how he has been one of those guys in MN, given that he was slapped with this ridiculous contract almost right away, so there wasn't a particular need to "play for stats".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 04:31:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

That's not saying all that much these days in the modern NBA. I think he's one of the most overrated players today. If not overrated then absolutely the most underachieving. With his size and power and the lack of centers out there he should be owning the NBA. But he's not eve close.
Hey, did you guys miss the memo -- there are no centers in the NBA anymore :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney

Hey, did you guys miss the memo -- there are no centers in the NBA anymore :)
Sad but true. And not many true power forwards either.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Dwight Howard is an airheaded, terribly low basketball IQ fraud  with little skill the best center in the league

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 04:42:24 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
Dwight Howard is an airheaded, terribly low basketball IQ fraud  with little skill the best center in the league
No, you can't mark out the airhead part. And that's and insult to airheads to call him one.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 04:54:02 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I am not comparing KG to DH.  No comparison, period.

However, I feel the same people who jumped on LeBron about having no heart, choking in the clutch and said he'd never win a championship have found a new muse for their hate.

He is annoying and I have questions about his health and about him being 'the guy' too.  But the question is about whether he is going to down as one of the best big men ever or 'just' a HOF'er.  I mean to write off a 27 year old, 3 time DPOY who led a team to the finals with a supporting cast of avg players. We're joking here, right?  A little reactionary, perhaps?  And in an Eastern conference being dominated for the next decade by LeBron James, Dwight probably has more value as a main piece of kryptonite the Heat would struggle to deal with.

Anyway, I just ask everyone to step back and take a wider view.  It's not just about who has more of a desire to win, and who is more willing to be dramatic and borderline psycho about it.  Let's be smarter fans and not just look at the hole, let's look at the doughnut too.

And final thought, if you were going to try and compile stars who couldn't win the big game alone but with another star or two could (ala PP, KG and RA), wouldn't DH fit that formula perfectly?

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 05:05:01 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm not in love with Howard's attitude by any means. I think any poster who calls Howard a hack has an ax to grind and isn't looking at the numbers. Howard is a top-10 center in the league coming off of back surgery. He's also on a team with virtually no coach. I think Pau said something like "What system? We are all just going out there and trying to win." Paraphase because I couldn't find the link :(

Anyway Howard would be great as a Celtic and if I thought we could retain him long-term I'd trade Rondo for him in a second. Like you guys say, there are no more centers in the NBA...except Philly, New York and Brooklyn all have one!

Howard is valuable because he will attract free agents and dominate the post against everyone he plays...on both ends. Rondo just can't do that at the moment and maybe ever. Fundamentally that matters.

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
Yes, but no way in the world anyone would trade that idiot for a point guard with a blown ACL so it's pointless to talk about.

WE ARE NOT GETTING HOWARD.
Peace through Tyranny