Author Topic: Marreese Speights could be traded again  (Read 3393 times)

Re: Marreese Speights could be traded again
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 03:31:30 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Only guy it would make sense to trade for Speights is Bass.

Speights isn't an upgrade on Bass, so I don't think it makes sense from Boston's perspective.

He is in my book. He's taller a better rebounder and plays the low post offensively. From what I know he's not great defensively, but Bass was thought as a poor defender before he came here as well.
But then we'd need another PF to stretch the floor. Not Green though

Honestly how much does the floor need to be spaced when no one is in the middle? Not every guy on the floor has to be able to hit an 18-footer. If the plan was to get him and have him take 15 footers all day I wouldn't want him. Outside of Fab who never plays and Wilcox everyone on this team can shoot well enough, now we need some interior play.

Re: Marreese Speights could be traded again
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 05:35:13 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Only guy it would make sense to trade for Speights is Bass.

Speights isn't an upgrade on Bass, so I don't think it makes sense from Boston's perspective.

Not sure many would agree with you on this one...

And those people are wrong.  Or at least, they are wrong in the short term, as I expect most new players to need 2-4 months to get comfortable on defense.  I think it's a lateral move, that wouldn't move the team any closer to a title because you still have a huge drop-off behind the top two bigs on the team.  If Speights had a couple of years left on his contract, I might feel differently.  If Speights is going to decline his player option and move on, then it is a horrible trade for both teams.

Speights is a guy who I think could make this team a contender next season if the Celtics had the full MLE and used it on him.  A big man rotation of KG, Bass, a healthy Sullinger, and Speights with occasional cameos by a Jason Collins type fifth big who shows up when the team needs a big body would be a perfectly acceptable situation for the team next season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference