Author Topic: Marreese Speights could be traded again  (Read 3385 times)

Marreese Speights could be traded again
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Marreese Speights has done himself well after being acquired by the Cleveland Cavaliers. In fact, he's done so well that he might have earned himself a bigger contract than his $4.5 million player option that he can pick up following the 2012-13 season.

And that is why the Cavs might be willing to shop the 25-year-old forward. Though the rumor-mill has not had much chatter regarding Cleveland other than the talk of LeBron James' return to the Cavs come the summer of 2014, Marc Stein of ESPN reported a few weeks back that Cleveland was looking to shed some salaries. Speights could be one of them, especially if the team believes he'll become a free agent. Cleveland would attempt to ship off one or both of Omri Casspi and Daniel Gibson in a trade involving Speights.

http://cleveland.sbnation.com/cleveland-cavaliers/2013/2/18/4001338/cleveland-cavaliers-trade-rumors-2013-deadline-nba?utm_campaign=snsanalytics&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=twitter.com

Definitely would like the c's to get speights if possible, very good offense and solid rebounding for relatively cheap.

Re: Marreese Speights could be traded again
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:21:30 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Would like to add him as well but what would we be able to offer for him? The Cavs seem to be looking for young cheap talent or probably a first round pick. Neither of what we should be giving up for Speights. They wont want the salary of Bass.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 01:26:22 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Would like to add him as well but what would we be able to offer for him? The Cavs seem to be looking for young cheap talent or probably a first round pick. Neither of what we should be giving up for Speights. They wont want the salary of Bass.

Maybe a three way

Bos sends: lee and filler
Bos gets : speights and gibson

Mem sends trade exception
Mem gets   : lee

Cle sends : speights , gibson
Cle gets   : trade exception

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Gibson and Speights for Bass! lol Cleveland wont do it but that'd be nice
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 01:27:48 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Maybe a three way

Why is it always Memphis.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I mean if its a pure salary dump then we could look at something like this.

http://espn.go.com/nba/trademachine?tradeId=agt5h77

Boston trades: Bass and a second round pick
Boston gets: Speights and Casspi

Cleveland Trades: Speights and Casspi
Gets: Wesely Johnson (4 mil expiring) and draft pick

Phoenix Trades: Johnson
Gets: Bass

Cavs dump 6 mil off next years books and get a draft pick. Suns use some of their cap room to insert a veteran in Bass. Boston gets a young big man and cap relief from Casspi next season. But if Speights option doesnt kick in he might want a bigger contract.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 01:41:05 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Only guy it would make sense to trade for Speights is Bass. And Cleveland (like the rest of the league) is not trading a friendly deal for Bass.

Can't trade Terry or Lee for him -- not enough guard depth to justify a marginal pick-up like Speights.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 01:58:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Only guy it would make sense to trade for Speights is Bass. And Cleveland (like the rest of the league) is not trading a friendly deal for Bass.

Can't trade Terry or Lee for him -- not enough guard depth to justify a marginal pick-up like Speights.
Yeah the C's don't have "filler".

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 02:01:43 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

From the story it sounded like the reason they would move Speights is because he might opt out.  That would suggest they don't value an expiring much.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Only guy it would make sense to trade for Speights is Bass.

Speights isn't an upgrade on Bass, so I don't think it makes sense from Boston's perspective.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 02:14:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

From the story it sounded like the reason they would move Speights is because he might opt out.  That would suggest they don't value an expiring much.

If they want cap space for the summer of 2014, they don't want to a situation where he declines his option and they have to choose between giving him a long-term deal that decreases their future cap space or losing him for nothing.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 02:16:14 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Speights isn't an upgrade on Bass, so I don't think it makes sense from Boston's perspective.

He is in my book. He's taller a better rebounder and plays the low post offensively. From what I know he's not great defensively, but Bass was thought as a poor defender before he came here as well.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 02:17:20 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

He is in my book. He's taller a better rebounder and plays the low post offensively. From what I know he's not great defensively, but Bass was thought as a poor defender before he came here as well.
But then we'd need another PF to stretch the floor. Not Green though
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Maybe a three way

Why is it always Memphis.
because Memphis has a trade exception and a rumored interest in Lee.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 02:56:04 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Not sure many would agree with you on this one...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)