Author Topic: Welcome Terrence Williams!  (Read 12443 times)

Re: Welcome Terrence Williams!
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2013, 06:02:16 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I like this bit of info from ESPNBoston

* TALENT OVER POSITION: Celtics coach Doc Rivers said that he and president of basketball operations Danny Ainge agreed last week that the team wouldn't seek a body based solely on positional need and instead would attempt to ink the best available bodies with the idea that pure talent had a better chance to crack the rotation. Rivers had said his wish list included a ball-handler and frontcourt depth. The 6-foot-6 Williams doesn't exactly fill either need, but he can handle the ball and distribute (a 21.7 career assist percentage), while also being a competitive rebounder (20.1 defensive rebound percentage). To put that in perspective, Pierce has a 22.9 assist rate this season (second only to Rajon Rondo on the Celtics), while Jared Sullinger's defensive rebound percentage was 22.2 percent before his season-ending injury. A former first-round pick of the Nets (11th overall), Williams' all-around skill set can potentially help Boston more than what's otherwise available at the positions of need for the Celtics.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4702438/rapid-reaction-cs-add-williams
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2013, 06:05:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay signing but to be honest, I don't expect him to see the floor much. He's here to have a warm body in practice, to learn the system, to be injury insurance against Lee, Terry and Bradley going down, and to play in the occasional garbage minute or so.

If at the end of his 10 day contract he has played more than 20-25 minutes total(six games), I would be shocked.

Normally I'd agree with you -- T-Will is the type of player who tends to have a lot of trouble seeing the floor on this team.

But if Doc Rivers really only plays T-Will 5-10 minutes a night when we have three healthy guards on the roster (including one who is 35 years old), then he's an complete and utter moron.

At this point, Doc needs to put his rotation together with the primary goal of not wearing guys out and preventing further injuries.  Putting the best team on the floor is kind of secondary when there are only 10 healthy players on the roster and one of them might as well still be in college he's so raw.
I don't see your reasoning here.

This team is going nowhere and two of the guards in the rotation are very young. If Lee and Bradley can play 34 minutes a night that leaves the "old" Jason Terry with still having a conservative 28 minutes a night.

I don't see the need to play them less and arranging playing time to prevent wear and tear when none of your players are playing over 34 MPG is just coaching scared, IMHO.

Doc has his nine man rotation pretty much down. Anyone added via free agency is not going to crack that rotation nor should they. They will be there exactly for what I described. Now if there is a trade to bring someone in, that's different.

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
I kno.like someone here said..GET DARKO BACK....!

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2013, 06:43:39 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
No Terrence Williams at #celtics practice today. Doc Rivers downplayed signing because team hasn't officially announced it yet

Gwashburn

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
doubt he will get any minutes anyway..just a practice body
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 06:50:04 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I love the idea of Bradley, Lee, and Williams rotating in and out constantly pressuring the ball. I wish Doc would utilize a Pitino-esque press defense.

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 07:06:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
But if Doc Rivers really only plays T-Will 5-10 minutes a night when we have three healthy guards on the roster (including one who is 35 years old), then he's an complete and utter moron.
Playing each of our three guards for 29 minutes leaves less than 10 minutes for Williams.

Overreact much?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 07:32:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We just got a Tyreke Evans calibre player but with better athleticism. Excellent defender

Just like Evans he can't shoot the ball very good.

But i think DA did great getting a guy who replaces Barbosa's ways as best as he could. Driving the basket, passing, handling the ball, defense. If he shot well also, he would be a marquee nba player. Hopefully he can at least turn into a decent FT and open jump shooter.

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2013, 07:39:13 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Okay signing but to be honest, I don't expect him to see the floor much. He's here to have a warm body in practice, to learn the system, to be injury insurance against Lee, Terry and Bradley going down, and to play in the occasional garbage minute or so.

If at the end of his 10 day contract he has played more than 20-25 minutes total(six games), I would be shocked.

Normally I'd agree with you -- T-Will is the type of player who tends to have a lot of trouble seeing the floor on this team.

At this point, Doc needs to put his rotation together with the primary goal of not wearing guys out and preventing further injuries.  Putting the best team on the floor is kind of secondary when there are only 10 healthy players on the roster and one of them might as well still be in college he's so raw.
I don't see your reasoning here.

This team is going nowhere and two of the guards in the rotation are very young. If Lee and Bradley can play 34 minutes a night that leaves the "old" Jason Terry with still having a conservative 28 minutes a night.

I don't see the need to play them less and arranging playing time to prevent wear and tear when none of your players are playing over 34 MPG is just coaching scared, IMHO.

Doc has his nine man rotation pretty much down. Anyone added via free agency is not going to crack that rotation nor should they. They will be there exactly for what I described. Now if there is a trade to bring someone in, that's different.

So they win 8 of their last 9 games and that is going nowhere?

Further, Doc has been playing Pierce at the 2 and Green at the 3.  Basketball is a flexible game.  You don't have to play in the frontcourt if you are over 6'6"

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Good 10 day. Makes you wonder with his talent just what kind of nutcase this guy is; but any time you have someone who has his ability have to give it a try.

As for minutes he has Bradley in terms of size and should give Lee a run for his money if he can get his head on straight.

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2013, 08:09:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I had some serious high hopes for Williams when he came in the league.  I hope he can make good on another shot in the MAN.  The kids got talent.
Yup

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »

Offline BIGTIME_CELTICS

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
For yall who are excited ..he played terrible for his China team. I watched his games n he sucked. Got cut by his China team(imagine that)...his shots are off, even Von wafer was killing him in games. The best player in China right now..I ll go with Steph Marbury..whatever you say, he was a champ last yr n look rejuvnated to some degree. Not a good pick up for the Celtics

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2013, 10:52:57 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Talent over position=justification for smallball.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2013, 11:03:35 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
For yall who are excited ..he played terrible for his China team. I watched his games n he sucked. Got cut by his China team(imagine that)...his shots are off, even Von wafer was killing him in games. The best player in China right now..I ll go with Steph Marbury..whatever you say, he was a champ last yr n look rejuvnated to some degree. Not a good pick up for the Celtics

He looked like the second best player on his team that was 28-4.  He might have been the best player but Yi Jillian was getting 10 more minutes a game than anyone else on the team.  In 27 minutes a game Williams was scoring 18points a game and had a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. 

Doesn't seem so bad to me.

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2013, 11:19:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Terence Williams hopefully will play better than he ever has playing on a team with direction and future HOFs.

He needs to learn not to do certain things on the court at certain times and also to execute things he is able to do, and can do well.

For example in our system, he will not dribble endlessly (a bad habit of his), pass the ball around, or pass it to the open man without needing to dribble much. When he sees an opening, using his dribble, quickness and athleticism to drive to the basket and either score the layup or pass it to the open man. When he is near about the foul line, and clearly open, to take the 2 pt shot. As for defense , i'm not worried as much because the team, kg and the fans will make him play great. You can't switch on us when you got got 3 or 4 guys on the court at the same time able to guard 2 to 3 positions.

What he cannot do again is
1. Dribble endlessly
2. Shoot threes, even open ones i think he should just hold off for now
3. Gamble on defense too much and just keep his man in front of him
4. Screw this up. If he gets in the rotation with a well coached team like the celts, he will get numerous offers from around the league. Not alot more coaching is needed then.