Author Topic: 2013 Pick 2 Draft: How's my team look?  (Read 201107 times)

Re: 2013 Pick 2 Draft: How's my team look?
« Reply #1005 on: March 01, 2013, 12:30:17 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Point of interest: To go with 16 pts, 7 rebounds, 4 assists and 7 for 8 shooting in a 1 point loss to the Clippers, Stephenson was +16, leading in +\- among the starters by more than 10 points. Danny Granger, who only played 18 minutes and shot .500 from the field, was a -25.

Lance Stephenson: better than you thought. The cavaliers: better than you deserve!

Kyrie/Isaiah Thomas
Stephenson/Ellington
Barnes/ Tobias Harris
Ryan Anderson/ Tobias Harris
Bynum/Zeller/Greg Smith

It's odd, I haven't seen eye to eye with you on one of your rosters in a while, IP.

I love Irving, and I don't feel the need to speak about why.

I thought Barnes was a steal of a pick when you got him, and I think Ryan Anderson would be a terrific fit for an Irving offense. Then the front court back ups are wise in case you do need to get tougher.

Bynum's a miserable addition. I'm sorry, he just is. Here's the best I can explain it - We know how good Irving is now, we can only speculate on his roof. If that's the case, why bother with a gamble? Why lock up 17 million dollars in salary with the biggest question mark in the NBA? It's just not worth it.

To me the upside isn't worth the downside. The up is that you get Bynum and he's a monster, but in his role, will he be THAT much better than someone you could've had in the second like a Hibbert? The downside, he gets hurt, you tie up 17 million dollars of salary and Kyrie Irving does the Decision 2.0.

« Reply #1006 on: March 01, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Dallas Mavericks

PG: Goran Dragic, Raymond Felton
SG: Dion Waiters, Marshon Brooks
SF: Paul Pierce, Kyle Singler
PF: Dirk Nowitzki, John Henson
C: DeAndre Jordan, DeJaun Blair, Ryan Hollins

Still trying to move some pieces around, but here's what I have so far.

I really hated your trade. I loved Rubio running this offense, and I hate Waiters and Pierce next to each other. Feel like that 2 spot is begging for somebody who can defend and catch and shoot. Think you'll have a real problem defending, and unfortunately there's no one on your bench that can help.

Still, that 3-5 combo is sooooo nice. Would be so much fun to watch those pieces operate together.

« Reply #1007 on: March 01, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Detroit Pistons (Newsies)
PG: Darren Collison 2.3
SG: Courtney Lee 5 .0
SF:Chandler Parsons 0.88
PF: Greg Monroe 3.2
C: Andre Drummond 2.3

Bench Andrea Bargnani 10.0 Rodney Stuckey 8.5, Tyler Hansborogh 3.0, Willie Green 1.3, Stephen Jackson 10.0 Austin Daye 3.0

I think at first look this team seems super vanilla. But at the same time Lee and Parsons are definitely the type of players I'd want to surround Monroe and Drummond with. And they're both still pretty young so you'll benefit from keeping those guys together. Also, I think this is the right role for Rodney Stuckey, and since you're so far under the cap for so long his contract's not much of anissue.

I hate Darren Collison, we talked about that. Only other quibble I have with your team is that I would've liked you to add some more prospects on your bench. Terrence Ross was a guy who was around forever, and even though I know you hate I. Thomas, I think if you're building for the future it'd make sense to gamble on a backup PG who could work out.

« Reply #1008 on: March 01, 2013, 12:48:08 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

SUNS Pick 2: Coach: Doug Collins 

PG: Ricky Rubio(3.5) CJ Watson(.992)
SG: Dwyane Wade(17.1) DeMar Derozan(3.34)
SF: Alonzo Gee(3.5) Dorell Wright(4.1)
PF: Gerald Wallace(9.88) Thomas Robinson(3.34)
C:   Brook Lopez(13.67) Chris Andersen(.854)
Cap used: 60.27 Total: 70.3

Thoughts ? There  will only be a minor tweak left

You've made some miracle trades to make yourself a really terrific roster. As much as I love your starting 5, I'm equally impressed with your bench - seems like a lot of really good compliments.

One thing I'd look to do is trade Derozan (contracts going up next season anyways) to a team that's rebuilding, and look for a 3 who can space the floor for you. We've talked a thousand times, I'm not giving you Battier, but he's the kind of guy who'd really put you over the top. Even if it means you lose out slightly on the talent side, which is a hard pil for you to swallow when you've won out massively on the past couple trades.

« Reply #1009 on: March 01, 2013, 12:48:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Dallas Mavericks

PG: Goran Dragic, Raymond Felton
SG: Dion Waiters, Marshon Brooks
SF: Paul Pierce, Kyle Singler
PF: Dirk Nowitzki, John Henson
C: DeAndre Jordan, DeJaun Blair, Ryan Hollins

Still trying to move some pieces around, but here's what I have so far.

I really hated your trade. I loved Rubio running this offense, and I hate Waiters and Pierce next to each other. Feel like that 2 spot is begging for somebody who can defend and catch and shoot. Think you'll have a real problem defending, and unfortunately there's no one on your bench that can help.

Still, that 3-5 combo is sooooo nice. Would be so much fun to watch those pieces operate together.

If BigAl has cap space and 2 picks remaining, I see two guys that could help bring defense/toughness to that wing rotation.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #1010 on: March 01, 2013, 12:52:38 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Check out the new guys in town, the Memphis Grizzlies!

Hosted by NBA mastermind Gregg Popovich.

Greivis Vásquez | Klay Thompson | Jeff Green | Zach Randolph | Omer Asik
Andre Miller | Tracy McGrady | Caron Butler | Brandon Bass | Drew Gooden
($7,085,165 remaining)

50¢ for a night of fun, and a guaranteed win!

There was a thread out the other day about the all underrated team, and I think you've pretty much assembled it (minus Green, who is either a christ like figure or untradeable depending on the week).

I'll be honest, I'm having a hard time figuring out your team mostly because I think your overall success depends on how good Vasquez is. And while his numbers certainly impress, I''d be lying to say I've watched even a minute of Hornets basketball this year.

« Reply #1011 on: March 01, 2013, 12:54:12 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I'm done for a little with the team reviewing.

« Reply #1012 on: March 01, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Point of interest: To go with 16 pts, 7 rebounds, 4 assists and 7 for 8 shooting in a 1 point loss to the Clippers, Stephenson was +16, leading in +\- among the starters by more than 10 points. Danny Granger, who only played 18 minutes and shot .500 from the field, was a -25.

Lance Stephenson: better than you thought. The cavaliers: better than you deserve!

Kyrie/Isaiah Thomas
Stephenson/Ellington
Barnes/ Tobias Harris
Ryan Anderson/ Tobias Harris
Bynum/Zeller/Greg Smith

It's odd, I haven't seen eye to eye with you on one of your rosters in a while, IP.

I love Irving, and I don't feel the need to speak about why.

I thought Barnes was a steal of a pick when you got him, and I think Ryan Anderson would be a terrific fit for an Irving offense. Then the front court back ups are wise in case you do need to get tougher.

Bynum's a miserable addition. I'm sorry, he just is. Here's the best I can explain it - We know how good Irving is now, we can only speculate on his roof. If that's the case, why bother with a gamble? Why lock up 17 million dollars in salary with the biggest question mark in the NBA? It's just not worth it.

To me the upside isn't worth the downside. The up is that you get Bynum and he's a monster, but in his role, will he be THAT much better than someone you could've had in the second like a Hibbert? The downside, he gets hurt, you tie up 17 million dollars of salary and Kyrie Irving does the Decision 2.0.

The thing is, Bynum is that much better than Hibbert. Just short of elite defender, best offensive center in the NBA. Clear-cut number 2 positional center in the league. And young.

I see the downside, and let me tell you, I am literally starting to get depressed reading all the stuff out of Philadelphia searching for good news. Maybe I could've played it safe, if it was a league where I had to explain in painstaking detail why your team was flawed and morally corrupt, while my team was balanced, skilled, and crapped rainbows, I probably wouldn't have taken on a liability like Bynum.

But as it sat, I had Irving, Tristan Thompson, and a middle-round pick. I'd resolved to make a big trade early and go from there, and when Bynum came up and I did the math in my head, would I rather have a Kawhi Leonard or Chandler Parsons in the first to go with Irving and a cut rate center like McGee or a separate injury risk like Bogut or Varejao, or should I swing pour le fences?

From the standpoint of the Cavs, it was easy to justify. Bynum was coming off an injured year, he's not going to get max money.

Bynum was a keeper, and since I traded for him, he's obligated under the rules to resign with me.

If I were the actual Cavs, I'd be looking at a pick in the early to mid-teens this season, with a resigned (on the cheap) Bynum, and one more year of development for Barnes, Stephenson, Zeller, Harris, Irving, etc...

So if I am actually tasked with doing whats in the best interest for the Cavs, I think I accomplished that.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1013 on: March 01, 2013, 12:55:23 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I'm done for a little with the team reviewing.

You've earned a breather, SO. Yeoman's work, as usual.

« Reply #1014 on: March 01, 2013, 12:57:59 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
IP, not to rehash anything that you might have already covered, but how much thought did you give to keeping Varejao over Thompson? Seems like Varejao by reputation (earned or otherwise) might have been a decent trade chip.

« Reply #1015 on: March 01, 2013, 01:08:39 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
IP, not to rehash anything that you might have already covered, but how much thought did you give to keeping Varejao over Thompson? Seems like Varejao by reputation (earned or otherwise) might have been a decent trade chip.

Personally, I have lost a lot of faith in Varejao, and didn't feel good about rebuilding around him. For me, he's always been like a free beer when you're not thirsty; you're not gonna say no, but you probably wouldn't want to pay for him.

And selling that just seemed like a chore.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1016 on: March 01, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

SUNS Pick 2: Coach: Doug Collins 

PG: Ricky Rubio(3.5) CJ Watson(.992)
SG: Dwyane Wade(17.1) DeMar Derozan(3.34)
SF: Alonzo Gee(3.5) Dorell Wright(4.1)
PF: Gerald Wallace(9.88) Thomas Robinson(3.34)
C:   Brook Lopez(13.67) Chris Andersen(.854)
Cap used: 60.27 Total: 70.3

Thoughts ? There  will only be a minor tweak left

You've made some miracle trades to make yourself a really terrific roster. As much as I love your starting 5, I'm equally impressed with your bench - seems like a lot of really good compliments.

One thing I'd look to do is trade Derozan (contracts going up next season anyways) to a team that's rebuilding, and look for a 3 who can space the floor for you. We've talked a thousand times, I'm not giving you Battier, but he's the kind of guy who'd really put you over the top. Even if it means you lose out slightly on the talent side, which is a hard pil for you to swallow when you've won out massively on the past couple trades.

I gotta give CP07 some credit here as well.

I didn't think there was anyway possible he'd be able to recover from the salary cap/roster fit debacle he put himself in after the Gortat/Leonard for Lopez/Wright swap with me.

Dude kept working though, and has put together a pretty good roster.  I still see some issues with his two forward spots, but overall, this was good work.

« Reply #1017 on: March 01, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
After 11: CHICAGO BULLS

Starters:

PG - Monta Ellis
SG - Andre Iguodala
SF - Luol Deng
PF - Jason Smith
C  - Joakim Noah
(F - Glen Davis starts when he returns full health)

Bench mob:

G - Chauncey Billups
G - PJ Tucker
F - Draymond Green
F - Sam Young
F - Elton Brand
F - Arnett Moultrie
(G - Brandon Rush becomes 6th man when he returns full health)

Defense, we got it from the starters to bench.

Scoring, NOT A PROBLEM.

Spacing, not a big concern either despite the numbers suggest.

In the words of John Cena...

THE CHAMP IS HERE!

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #1018 on: March 01, 2013, 03:00:59 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Old Blazers:

PG: Damian Lillard / Ramon Sessions
SG: Thabo Sefolosha / Jodie Meeks / Jeremy Lamb
SF: Nic Batum / Maurice Harkless / Jason Richardson (IR)
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Marreese Speights
C:  Nick Collison / Jonas Valanciunas / Jordan Hill (IR)
Injured: Jordan Hill, Jason Richardson

New Blazers:

PG: Damian Lillard / Nate Robinson
SG: Joe Johnson / Jodie Meeks
SF: Nic Batum / Jae Crowder
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Earl Clark
C:  Nick Collison / Jonas Valanciunas / Rony Turiaf

One pick remaining. We probably need a wing, right?

« Reply #1019 on: March 01, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Old Blazers:

PG: Damian Lillard / Ramon Sessions
SG: Thabo Sefolosha / Jodie Meeks / Jeremy Lamb
SF: Nic Batum / Maurice Harkless / Jason Richardson (IR)
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Marreese Speights
C:  Nick Collison / Jonas Valanciunas / Jordan Hill (IR)

New Blazers:

PG: Damian Lillard / Nate Robinson
SG: Joe Johnson / Jodie Meeks
SF: Nic Batum / Jae Crowder
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Earl Clark
C:  Nick Collison / Jonas Valanciunas / Rony Turiaf

One pick remaining. We probably need a wing, right?

I have a similar issue as before the Prince trade - you've clearly improved your starters and probably the team as a whole, but you've got a bunch of guys just coming into their own and several guys on the downslopes of their careers. 

It would be very tough to get everything to come together quickly enough to make a proper title run, and JJ's contract would make it very difficult to add more talent to the mix.

By imagination basketball standards, I think it was a fun move to make though, which outweighs everything.