Author Topic: If KG is traded, does that mean Pierce will be too? And if so, where?  (Read 3021 times)

Re: If KG is traded, does that mean Pierce will be too? And if so, where?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 03:03:44 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I don't think Ainge is doing much exploring, I think there's a lot of interest out there for KG, and they're making calls to Ainge, and as he's always said, he's open to hearing all types of proposals... but I don't think for a second Ainge is out there looking to trade KG.

Why? Ainge is notorious for being one of the most active GMs in the market, and it's documented that Ainge has seriously considered trading Rondo, Pierce and Ray Allen throughout the current 'window', including at least one deal for each in the last year.

I don't buy for a second that Ainge sits back and listens to offers like a mafia don without proactively engaging his peers. He tests the value of his players consistently, and admits it.

Difference is that he didn't have KG signed for 3 years. Not only does he currently have KG signed for that, he also has a good group of people signed for that length. This isn't a one year window as many of you like to believe.

We struggled coming out of the gates, but I don't see Ainge in any hurry to destroy our chances in our next few seasons by doing bad moves that would probably still be on the table beyond this season.

I hear you, but I don't think this is accurate. Here's why:

1) There's a strong chance that the Celtics will not keep Pierce's contract for next year if they don't believe the team is a true contender;

2) KG is not guaranteed to play out his deal. "Y'all don't know what I know", for example. Rivers said recently he believes KG's at the point where he considers whether to continue every summer.

3) Rondo's injury is a major blow to Father Time's window for KG and PP.

I'm not claiming that Ainge has given up on this team, but his history speaks to the fact that he's not sitting back idly. Again, even if Olshey picked up the phone first, I don't buy for a second that Ainge isn't pushing him to see what he can get from them before considering the value to the Cs, and whether to pull the trigger.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 03:05:50 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I don't think Ainge is doing much exploring, I think there's a lot of interest out there for KG, and they're making calls to Ainge, and as he's always said, he's open to hearing all types of proposals... but I don't think for a second Ainge is out there looking to trade KG.

Why? Ainge is notorious for being one of the most active GMs in the market, and it's documented that Ainge has seriously considered trading Rondo, Pierce and Ray Allen throughout the current 'window', including at least one deal for each in the last year.

I don't buy for a second that Ainge sits back and listens to offers like a mafia don without proactively engaging his peers. He tests the value of his players consistently, and admits it.

Difference is that he didn't have KG signed for 3 years. Not only does he currently have KG signed for that, he also has a good group of people signed for that length. This isn't a one year window as many of you like to believe.

We struggled coming out of the gates, but I don't see Ainge in any hurry to destroy our chances in our next few seasons by doing bad moves that would probably still be on the table beyond this season.

I hear you, but I don't think this is accurate. Here's why:

1) There's a strong chance that the Celtics will not keep Pierce's contract for next year if they don't believe the team is a true contender;

2) KG is not guaranteed to play out his deal. "Y'all don't know what I know", for example. Rivers said recently he believes KG's at the point where he considers whether to continue every summer.

3) Rondo's injury is a major blow to Father Time's window for KG and PP.

I'm not claiming that Ainge has given up on this team, but his history speaks to the fact that he's not sitting back idly. Again, even if Olshey picked up the phone first, I don't buy for a second that Ainge isn't pushing him to see what he can get from them before considering the value to the Cs, and whether to pull the trigger.

Olshey? Are we going for Hickson? Where did Olshey come from?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 03:48:36 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Whoever took over for Olshey this summer....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
In the unlikely event KG is traded, I think Ainge will have a deal in place for Pierce before pulling the trigger and going into a Control Alt Delete for the Celtics. Short of picking up Durant or Lebron James, we would be back into full rebuild mode and rely on the draft for getting super star power. That is a recipe for failure for Eighty pwrcent of the teams.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
If one goes I think both will, if Danny really wanted to do a KG deal, he would trade PP first IMO, that would be enough for KG to sign off on a trade he thought was good for him.

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 05:23:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think the Spurs make the most sense.

Something like this would seemingly work for both teams

Pierce

for

Leonard, Jackson, and Green or Bonner or Diaw or Blair + filler

Gives Boston a nice young prospect in Leonard plus some other parts and gives San Antonio another weapon in the starting unit that fits in age wise with TD and Manu.  Other players could be added from both teams, like say Terry and/or Bass as more of the San An players listed above are added.

That trade makes no sense.  I get the feeling that the Spurs view Leonard as more important to their plans after Duncan is gone than Rondo was ever seen in a post-KG era.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 05:23:39 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Whoever took over for Olshey this summer....

Gary Sacks

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm convinced KG doesn't waive his no-trade unless there's a trade for Pierce lined up (or Pierce has been traded already).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 05:50:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
neither are going,  makes , KG rocks they know that, but won't trade equal players.

how about selling the Celtics Blake to go along with Rondo, then maybe I'll talk..........clippers are full of dung.

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 06:34:30 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I think the Spurs make the most sense.

Something like this would seemingly work for both teams

Pierce

for

Leonard, Jackson, and Green or Bonner or Diaw or Blair + filler

Gives Boston a nice young prospect in Leonard plus some other parts and gives San Antonio another weapon in the starting unit that fits in age wise with TD and Manu.  Other players could be added from both teams, like say Terry and/or Bass as more of the San An players listed above are added.

That trade makes no sense.  I get the feeling that the Spurs view Leonard as more important to their plans after Duncan is gone than Rondo was ever seen in a post-KG era.

Agreed. Spurs aren't trading Leonard.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)