Author Topic: If KG is traded, does that mean Pierce will be too? And if so, where?  (Read 3026 times)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Something that seems to be falling through the cracks here is the fallout of a potential KG trade. Meaning, who else would likely be leaving, and where would they be going?

Pierce is of the most interest of course. If we assume for the moment that he won't be going to the Clips, where else might he be traded and for whom? It's not a long list of possibilities: Chicago, LAL, Indiana, Golden State and San Antonio strike me as the only options.

I'd also assume that Terry would be dealt, though I haven't considered where he might go....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: If KG is traded, does that mean Pierce will be too? And if so, where?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 12:01:54 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Something that seems to be falling through the cracks here is the fallout of a potential KG trade. Meaning, who else would likely be leaving, and where would they be going?

Pierce is of the most interest of course. If we assume for the moment that he won't be going to the Clips, where else might he be traded and for whom? It's not a long list of possibilities: Chicago, LAL, Indiana, Golden State and San Antonio strike me as the only options.

I'd also assume that Terry would be dealt, though I haven't considered where he might go....

KG will not be traded, period.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 12:24:55 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

You've "given up" on this team, and legit sources are reporting the Celtics are exploring it to see what they can get (as they should).

Don't you think such a hard line is a tad too firm?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 12:26:02 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

You've "given up" on this team, and legit sources are reporting the Celtics are exploring it to see what they can get (as they should).

The only way we break this "hard line" is if we get an AMAZING deal. I don't see any amazing deals. And even if it's an amazing deal, it's only 30% KG still wants to leave
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:30:24 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

The only way we break this "hard line" is if we get an AMAZING deal. I don't see any amazing deals. And even if it's an amazing deal, it's only 30% KG still wants to leave

Great -- appreciate the knowledge.

So... per the title of the thread.... "If" KG were traded, do folks see that as a guarantee Pierce would be dealt as well?

There's a chance the Cs would wait until after the season but before the draft to deal him, though the circumstances of this would likely involve a salary dump from the team trading for him, resulting in Pierce being cut. Pretty unceremonious.

So I wonder if the Cs would push now to put him in a winning situation, and if so, where...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 12:33:19 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243

I think it would be a very serious mistake to trade KG and PP so yes I am holding firm here.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:36:50 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Got it, Q_FBE. Big difference between "it'll never happen" and "i think it would be a mistake". With you on the latter, but think the former is a little naive, even if a KG trade is unlikely.

BTW, like you're adjusted tag line -- TP!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:42:01 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
might be able to get like a late 1st rounder and an expiring contract for him from a team making a run. 

Last year we supposedly tried to trade him to the Nets for their lotto pick.  At least one person reported it as Pierce killing the deal... hence why they went with Gerald Wallace instead.   BUt that was last year.  Pierce is a year older.  That Nets situation was unique.  Might be able to land a late 1st for him.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
might be able to get like a late 1st rounder and an expiring contract for him from a team making a run. 

Last year we supposedly tried to trade him to the Nets for their lotto pick.  At least one person reported it as Pierce killing the deal... hence why they went with Gerald Wallace instead.   BUt that was last year.  Pierce is a year older.  That Nets situation was unique.  Might be able to land a late 1st for him.

The Spurs make some sense in this context. Jackson, Splitter and a pick would work.

It could be that the Spurs won't give up quite that much, but adding Pierce would be pretty tempting as a last crack at a title with this current unit, and considering the flexibility around his contract.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 02:08:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't think Ainge is doing much exploring, I think there's a lot of interest out there for KG, and they're making calls to Ainge, and as he's always said, he's open to hearing all types of proposals... but I don't think for a second Ainge is out there looking to trade KG.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 02:33:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think the Spurs make the most sense.

Something like this would seemingly work for both teams

Pierce

for

Leonard, Jackson, and Green or Bonner or Diaw or Blair + filler

Gives Boston a nice young prospect in Leonard plus some other parts and gives San Antonio another weapon in the starting unit that fits in age wise with TD and Manu.  Other players could be added from both teams, like say Terry and/or Bass as more of the San An players listed above are added. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 02:46:06 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

The Spurs make some sense in this context. Jackson, Splitter and a pick would work.

It could be that the Spurs won't give up quite that much, but adding Pierce would be pretty tempting as a last crack at a title with this current unit, and considering the flexibility around his contract.

I think the Spurs make a lot of sense too, but I do not see them trading Splitter.  The Duncan, Splitter, Diaw, Bonner rotation is pretty locked in, imo.  I think it more likely be one of the young wings Green or Leonard.  Doubt they move Leonard, but SA has been looking for a vet scoring SF for years.  Pierce's scoring, clutchness and Finals MVP have to look appealing for a 2 year run with Duncan, Ginobli, Parker.  Kawhi Leonard would be no brainer (KG trade or not, imo), but unrealistic.  Green seems like a good Rondo back court mate, very efficient player who can convert open looks.

I also think in this 'blow it up' alternate reality, Pierce for Gasol may make some sense.  Gasol could be that center that ages well, imo.  Maybe a Vlade Divac type?  So at 32, we'd get a couple yrs of solid production, followed by a few years of veteran production.  Along with a foundation of young athletes, he may provide the PnR/Post offense and playoff tested-ness that the theoretical team would lack.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 02:48:33 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I don't think Ainge is doing much exploring, I think there's a lot of interest out there for KG, and they're making calls to Ainge, and as he's always said, he's open to hearing all types of proposals... but I don't think for a second Ainge is out there looking to trade KG.

Why? Ainge is notorious for being one of the most active GMs in the market, and it's documented that Ainge has seriously considered trading Rondo, Pierce and Ray Allen throughout the current 'window', including at least one deal for each in the last year.

I don't buy for a second that Ainge sits back and listens to offers like a mafia don without proactively engaging his peers. He tests the value of his players consistently, and admits it.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I think Pierce/Wilcox to Golden St. for Jefferson, Rush, Ezeli and a pick makes the most sense.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 02:54:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Why? Ainge is notorious for being one of the most active GMs in the market, and it's documented that Ainge has seriously considered trading Rondo, Pierce and Ray Allen throughout the current 'window', including at least one deal for each in the last year.

I don't buy for a second that Ainge sits back and listens to offers like a mafia don without proactively engaging his peers. He tests the value of his players consistently, and admits it.

Difference is that he didn't have KG signed for 3 years. Not only does he currently have KG signed for that, he also has a good group of people signed for that length. This isn't a one year window as many of you like to believe.

We struggled coming out of the gates, but I don't see Ainge in any hurry to destroy our chances in our next few seasons by doing bad moves that would probably still be on the table beyond this season.